Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

My BIB

Here it is....

Attachments

• p6282483 (small).jpg
    p6282483 (small).jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 667
Hello Samuel,

Have you heard the Orions? My Fostex 168EZ drivers were with me since 2004 when I built the Fostex recommended back horn for them.

I will be surprised if more breaking in and stuffing manipulation will make the Fostex sounded better than the Orions aside from the bass department as you infer. What do I know? Godspeed.

John Revilla

Some consider the Orions the best speakers ever. There is a lot of technology there, open baffle, h-frame woofers, very expensive drivers, modern crossover design, powered components, extensive engineering, etc... BIBs are much more simple - single driver, cabinet integration, corner load, hi eff, no crossover... totally different beast but a beast no less... maybe an 8" BIB would be a more fair comparison? Regardless, both are excellent designs. Enjoy them both!

Godzilla

Thanks Jeff. Samuel, please excuse the tone of my last post I did not realized that it can be read differently. I meant no sarcasm. I'm just trying to explain the difference between the speakers being compared.

Jeff, I ordered the 8 inch versionof the EZ and one day I will find a way to build another BIB. My problem is that I have 6 different Fostex speakers and I'm running out of space to hide them when not in use. I intentionally relegate my F200A as home theatre speakers just to apeace my wife. Godspeed.

John Revilla

No, I have not heard the Orions. So perhaps, I made an unqualified speculative comment.

Perhaps, not in a BIB. However, with the FE168EZ in an OB like the 'Dark Star' with an 'H' Baffle subwoofer assistance, the combination should sound fantastic.

Or in a Moose BVR, an EnABLd FE168EZ should give a performance in a different league altogether. I am just waiting for the day when Scott and Dave would release an official BVR design for the 168EZ. For the present, I have mine playing in a QWL and they sound fairly good; the bass could be better. I plan to use a Fountek ribbon as a super tweeter, which I also have unused till date.

Hello everyone!

I wanted just to show (off with :) ) the BiBs me and my brother built a few months ago. The drivers are FE206E and the amp powering them is a F2 clone.

With good records the sound is very voluminous, or spacious, don't know how to say that :).

As the drivers are breaking in, I feel that I need to play a little bit more with the equalization network... and maybe play with the stuffing, but no time at the moment.

Thank you for the nice project and helpful instructions :).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Attachments

• bib_19mm.pdf
    21.2 KB · Views: 136
planet10 said:

Dave, I had not seen the layout of the Ceinwyn-Chang earlier. Are these preliminary dimensions or has someone built, measured and listened to these?

Personally, I would have loved a curved profile of the horn mouth, just for aesthetic reasons, if not technical.

My guess is that these would have an in-room response of about 50Hz; or is my guess wrong? While I agree that the dynamic range of a horn is closer to emulating a live performance, how does one get a sub that goes pretty low to sound just as fast as an FR?

This is precisely the reason why I continue to use a quarter wave pipe; it helps me get response below the driver fs. Thanks.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Samuel Jayaraj said:
Are these preliminary dimensions or has someone built, measured and listened to these?

Those plans were pushed to the top so that Peter Reinders could build a set. There is a thread somewhere here where he talks about his results,

My guess is that these would have an in-room response of about 50Hz; or is my guess wrong? While I agree that the dynamic range of a horn is closer to emulating a live performance, how does one get a sub that goes pretty low to sound just as fast as an FR?

Should be good to under 50 Hz. To get a sub to blend it has to have good HF response... a woofer as opposed to a dedicated subwoofer is usually indicated.

dave

Thanks Dave. I've sought Peter's impressions, as of now, on that thread.

Is there a curved profile I can follow for the horn mouth which might look better and not compromise on sonics?

Thanks for the input on sub vs. woofer. I have a pair of LAB12 drivers and quite a few of the other Eminence drivers, including 3015LF, Beta12LTA, HL10A among others. However, I reckon that I might have to look for a pair of woofers with enough Xmax and power handling and use them below resonance in push-push or pull-push configuration with electronic compensation. I am just a bit worried about colouring the sound with all of that electronic correction. Graham Maynard published a discreet circuit in EW which might be better than any op-amp based circuit such as Rod Elliot's.

It is due to this apprehension, I have been looking for a 'one box solution' with only a super tweeter to boot.

I am looking forward to Peter's comments and from others who might have built the Ceinwyn Chang and soon might be able to build a pair.