Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

I use the MiniDSP to EQ, time alignment etc these. They aren't strictly full-range because they do about 25Hz to 16kHz sensibly. But in that range, they are the second finest speakers I have ever heard. The finest award goes to Genelec 1036A, and I don't expect to ever surpass it with my DIY ventures :)

interesting that you would attribute the 'best' to a studio monitor.

Maybe the best way to listen to music - at least music that's been mixed in a studio - is to listen to it with identical equipment.
You got it spot on. I enjoy the perfection of studio albums, and rarely find a live recording that's worth my time. I used to work in sound industry in the aforementioned company and have pretty extensive listening experience with the 1036As. They were simply so revealing that they laid the music bare in front of me. Good recordings were gorgeous, bad were full of little ugly details. Kinda the same as when you look at things under magnification :)

629371d1502186670-et-build-ripole-sub-ss-10f-8424-a-dgewp42-jpg

My setup, ScanSpeak 10F/8424 with RiPole woofers.
More pictures: DIY Speaker Set - Album on Imgur

i really like the appearance of the system. what type of music do you listen to?

i really like the appearance of the system. what type of music do you listen to?

Oh man, you'd have an easier time asking what I don't listen :D

I like to keep my taste broad, so anything from Nightwish to Norah Jones, from Beethoven to Bon Jovi. Only things I don't really listen to are punk, rap/hip-hop and R&B. I tried to design the system according to that.

I use the MiniDSP to EQ, time alignment etc these. They aren't strictly full-range because they do about 25Hz to 16kHz sensibly. But in that range, they are the second finest speakers I have ever heard. The finest award goes to Genelec 1036A, and I don't expect to ever surpass it with my DIY ventures :)

Lovely Build Mayuri they look very interesting! Would like to know more about how you use your minidsp for time alignment and any other useful trick stuff!

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I have a sort of silly question. I know the answer is probably "it depends", but I'm just looking for a general idea.

With cabinets the size of what's shown in post #3780, how low can the low frequencies go? Does it depend on the driver's Fs? Is anything below Fs reinforced?

It's a really intriguing design. :)

Thanks,

Vince

Beautiful build picture including the ones at imgur link :).

Of course 10F isn't perfect superman but think 16kHz reach is bit pessimistic, reason is probably when measured in home environment we have reasons for limits and as example below blue is 10F verse purple a real 22kHz tweeter on same baffle psychoacoustic smoothed with traced 10F datasheet gold curve in bag ground, throw a 96kHz or 192kHz DSP at 10F and that 22kHz tweeter is within reach on axis at about a 20º window.

Attachments

• 2000.png
    2000.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 315
  • 2001.png
    2001.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 265
I have a sort of silly question. I know the answer is probably "it depends", but I'm just looking for a general idea.

With cabinets the size of what's shown in post #3780, how low can the low frequencies go? Does it depend on the driver's Fs? Is anything below Fs reinforced?

It's a really intriguing design. :)

Thanks,

Vince

I answer your questions:
Low frequencies they can go 38 Hz -38dB
It does not depend on F3 and this depends on the horn.
/Istvan.

Beautiful build picture including the ones at imgur link :).

Of course 10F isn't perfect superman but think 16kHz reach is bit pessimistic, reason is probably when measured in home environment we have reasons for limits and as example below blue is 10F verse purple a real 22kHz tweeter on same baffle psychoacoustic smoothed with traced 10F datasheet gold curve in bag ground, throw a 96kHz or 192kHz DSP at 10F and that 22kHz tweeter is within reach on axis at about a 20º window.
That might be the case. I created a 15kHz +3dB high shelf on MiniDSP EQ, it seems to have helped a bit. Need to tinker more, maybe 20kHz is achievable.

Lovely Build Mayuri they look very interesting! Would like to know more about how you use your minidsp for time alignment and any other useful trick stuff!
I got to admit I took the easy way out with the MiniDSP (I got the 2x4HD version), and just upgraded the firmware to DDRC-24. Time aligning itself isn't the hard part, just add delay until you get the phases to match, but all other room response altering.
what are the crossover points between the satellites and the subs?
Currently I have it running on 280Hz LR4 for subwoofers and 250Hz LR4 for satellites. 1/4 wavelenght CTC is harder to obtain here, but it is within 1/3 wavelenght.

Thanks for everyone for the comments :)

Aura NS3

...Aurasound NS3-4ohm's and some very cheap tweeters collecting dust in the closet, so....

Dual NS3's 4R wired full-range in series, sealed in an old PE Baltic Birch knockdown and veneered in lacewood. After first listening without the tweeter highs were lacking, so I added tweeters, a 2.0 uF cap and variable L-pad to sweeten them up a bit... Not bad and can handle greater SPL than expected.

Cost of each cabinets' hardware is $60 (2x AuraNS3 + $20 L-pad and tweeter). But unless the primary design objective is small cab, higher SPL and adjustable treble, and unless you already have the drivers and other stuff, I'd recommend ditching the dual driver, tweeter and L-pad approach and using a single FR driver like the Mark Audio Alpair 6M or 6P, or a Fostex FF85wk for a more detailed and better balanced sound.....maybe even an MA Pluvia 7 though I haven't heard them yet.

Mario
I wish I could post photos, but I'm getting error message "413 Request Entity Too Large". I even tried attaching the Lance photo from my previous posts month ago that uploaded no problem then, but now that gives me the same error message...any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

Aura NS3

...another try at photo attachment....(had to email them to myself and download as thumbnails)

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_3165.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3165.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 473
  • thumbnail_IMG_3166.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3166.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 479
  • thumbnail_IMG_3167.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3167.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 294
  • thumbnail_IMG_3168.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3168.jpg