Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Mark Audio is a sponsor here. There is a whole sub-forum dedicated to his drivers and these plans. I obtained the drivers from Madisound Speaker Components | Loudspeaker drivers and speaker parts for loudspeaker builders. ($110/each). I'm not sure if they ship internationally.

I thought about moving the ladder shelves last night (funny you should mention it). I like the wide stage though and I think that may put them too close. I move them 1' out and 1' closer and that has already made a slight improvement.

Mark Audio is a sponsor here. There is a whole sub-forum dedicated to his drivers and these plans. I obtained the drivers from Madisound Speaker Components | Loudspeaker drivers and speaker parts for loudspeaker builders. ($110/each). I'm not sure if they ship internationally.

I thought about moving the ladder shelves last night (funny you should mention it). I like the wide stage though and I think that may put them too close. I move them 1' out and 1' closer and that has already made a slight improvement.

I'd try flipping them anyway - all the Alpair metals I've heard do a great job of staging wider than the driver placement, and I wouldn't be surprised if the bookcases when loaded with a few ornaments, etc provided a small degree of smoothing to corner/boundary loading that the 10's hardly need in these enclosures in a smallish room.

gychang, sorry you went thru the effort to build those voigt pipes. They are elegant shapes. Mine are sitting unused without drivers installed.

Those alpar pencils look great. Please describe the differences you hear compared to the fh... When you get a chance, please.

when I built Voigt Pipe, I had the dimensions all wrong, u suggested much smaller vent size and noted significant improvement in sound. I used OSB material and noted there was significant resonance when playing at moderate levels so I tore the whole thing apart.

I strongly urge someone to try B20 with the proper dimensions of size/vent, to me the cabinet is elegant with the right finish (but very important to minimize resonance). Now my new home in the desert has large living room with a high ceiling and VP will add touch of a class, and with hopefully a good sound.

yeah, that works...except the wife wants them further back.

Sorry to sound like an a$$ but, this is a very sore ubject with me. Isn't it your house as well? Doesn't your wife care about YOUR happiness and what YOU like or does she only care her happiness and what she likes?

If she pays everything and you live off of her, I suppose I could understand her feeling that way, but if you pay everything or even just half of everything. Is asking to be allowed the usage of one room in the house in a manner that suits your needs too much to be asking of your wife?

When we purchased our house I told, I didn't ask my wife, that one room was going to be mine as an audio room, to setup as I see fit. My wife didn't have an issue with this at all. In fact she likes what I did so much she now asks for my opinion on decorating the other rooms in the house as well!

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

I have my office to do whatever I want in. I've got 3 sets of speakers in there and they move to the optimum locations for listening while I work. The living room is the entertaining room. I still want good sound there...but I'm not going to place the speakers in the middle of the room to get it. She doesn't like the asthetics, and personally I don't like it either. We watch TV more than we listen to music, and with the TV against the wall, I like the center image to eminate from it. When I pull the speakers forward, the image tightens up, but it comes from ahead of the TV.

As for how they sound compared to the Frugelhorns...well, I'm scratching my head with the FHs now. They used to sound great in my old office, corner loaded. In the new living room they just didn't have any bass despite being in the corners. Perhaps the high ceilings in the new home had something to do with that. I moved the frugelhorns to my new office, which is smaller than the old one and they still don't put out much bass. In fact very little comes from the rear horn unless I turn them up very loud. I think I'm going to build a set of FH3 cabinets to see if maybe that will help the Fostex drivers produce more bass.

The Pensil 10.2s...are a totally different caliber. I get bass at every sound level, warm and full. The mids are still clear and the highs will sparkle with the right instruments. I will never put the frugelhorns in the living room again. Is that a good enough comparison?

try this to test your domestic tranquility

if you think that you have any say in what you do in your house, just try this in the living room to test your domestic tranquility.

i have the JBL system on either side of the four (4) EV subs in the center. just the sound of these alone will create DV (domestic violence) and ruin any tranquility. don't forget their huge size!

PB010011.JPG

Click here for more.

Chuyler:

Yup, the FH3 is definitely a sonic improvement over the FH1 - and much simpler build. With FE126s, they would still like corner boundary reinforcement for best bass extension - but that's not the case with any of Mark's drivers that have been tried to date (CHP/R & EL70s, Alpair7).

So far the only Pensils I've heard are the A7, which have been my daily driver (also predominantly for video) for several months now- they certainly don't need to be pulled out any further than in line with the face of the flat screen

Tom:
audio advice is tricky enough, let's forego the couple's counselling - not all of us might posses the charisma required to "handle" our partners so well :hug:

I've got corners in my office so i'm fine with that....unless you think there is a better build for the FE126eN. I didn't see anything else...since most of the designs incorporate the 127 instead.

...and the Pensils are a step in the right direction as far as "owning" the living room. Baby steps. First it was the uFonkens in the bedroom, then the frugelhorns in the living room... The pensils are a good 20% larger so that's a big win as it is. Don't want to push my luck. Next will be some 60" double horn towers (some day).

if you think that you have any say in what you do in your house, just try this in the living room to test your domestic tranquility.

i have the JBL system on either side of the four (4) EV subs in the center. just the sound of these alone will create DV (domestic violence) and ruin any tranquility. don't forget their huge size!

PB010011.JPG

Click here for more.

What the H e C K! WAF?

what are these for? what are these for?

this is man cave stuff! that's what it's for!

check the link at the bottom.

there are 6 of the 30" EV subwoofers and the JBL theatre speaker system (which i have).

truly, this is an awesome system!

No replacement for displacement? I guess the 30" EV subwoofers can move quite a bit of air and play loud enough, hehe :D