Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

gmilitano said:

Very interesting and nice work. How do they sound?

I have a friend who wanted to try the W3-871S in the Buschhorn MkI.

Did you try the W3-871S in the full size enclosure? When you you say 2/3 of the original dimensions, I assume you are referring to height dimensions only.

Cheers,
Gio.

The Buscchorn has many variants. I chose the MkII for Fostex FE103S, that was 99 cm high, and scaled down every dimension to 3/4. I can't remember precisely, but the original plan was one of these:

http://www.picosound.de/Buschhorn.pdf
http://hometown.aol.de/hphinder/homepage/index.html

The German Tangband dealer had one of these on their site, but now I see only a smaller version, similar to mine:

http://www.speaker-online.de/buschhorn/BHmk2TB.html

Initially it sounded a bit hollow. Then I filled the lower triangle cavity with dry sand, and filled the chamber behind the loudspeaker with mineral wool. Now it sounds quite natural, and its main strength is the transients. The best test was male voice from radio, it reveals every bit of unnaturalness. The internal cable is Cat5 rigid UTP.

I never tried the W3-871S in bigger enclosure. In spite of its dimensions, the low end of the Buschhorn is surprising, even in this scaled down box.

In my dorm room the only amp I have is the K-12. I am going to build another GC soon for them. They sound great. I much prefer these and the FE127s of the W4-1052SA. These enclosures cannot compare to that of the W4-1052SA, but its midrange that is soo sweet compared to the W4-1052SA. These have no BSC, because they will be for my computer desk, but i think even with BSC they wouldn't be able to match the massive BiTonkens. The K-12 does an OK job powering the WR125s. The WR-125s I think, don't like tubes.

A friend of mine came over to listen to the BiTonkens and bought along an nice Adcom amp. I must admit, the volume control on my preamp was kept the same, and they were just about the same spl. I didn't pull out my spl meter, but we thought it was about the same. Also the bass on the K-12 didn't seem lacking compared to the Adcom.

Thanks,

Josh

Bandor unit in a slim TL

While looking at the great pics here, I realized I did similar thing recently. Very lousy finish but still work OK.

Cheers
Chul

Attachments

• bandor tl.jpg
    bandor tl.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 5,627
I listened to the following pair of bitonkens expertly constructed by edjosh23.

They are delightful as are every full range design built by this fellow. These bitonkens have a large amount of bass when compared to the larger frugel horns, however the bass may not have been subjectively quick as the horns. I don't like the W4-1052SA. I don't think that polypropylene does a good enough job in terms of delicacy and immediacy. Considering also that this is a low efficiency design when compared to the horns which i listen to regularly this loss of detail may be expected.
The bitonken concept is excellent and the bipolar design makes for ample bass. I would love to see some paper coned high efficiency drivers in this driver's stead. or perhaps the bamboo fiber coned version of this driver.
I really enjoyed listening to these speakers for their smoothness, generous sound stage, and quick ample bass.

Attachments

• bitonken15.jpg
    bitonken15.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 5,277
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
tade said:
The bitonken concept is excellent and the bipolar design makes for ample bass.

Good to hear.

Josh got the idea (and the name -- he asked my permission) from my BiFonken for the FE127e/ That in turn came from the Bipole miniOnken for the FR125s. I gave Josh a few pointers on the design goals & philosophies behind the miniOnken/Fonken style design, and i'm glad he came up with something that works (altho it will be imited by the driver's performance -- Josh too has expressed that he is not as happy with the TB as he'd like)

Recent measures of the Fonken indicate bass to the low 50s, a bipole would get to the same place with more authority... that only really gives us a clue to what the TBs might be capable of. A Frugel-Horn, properly positioned in a corner, with full deflectors & supra-baffle, just reaches into the same range. IJosh's Frugel-Horns have FE127 so we really have an unknown extension there.

The discussion i had with Josh also helped some ideas gel for BiFonken Mark II, which is just starting to make the transition from paper to reality.

This has been further fueled by th 3rd resurrection of the Bipolar diyRef ML-TLs... we finally got a "stand" mechanism that works cosmetically. The bass on these isn't as tight as the Fonkens, but the overall spaciousness and the weight of the botton illustrates some of the things bipole does well. And these don't (currently) have the good drivers in them.

dave

Attachments

• diyref-bp-ml-tls-close.jpg
    diyref-bp-ml-tls-close.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 5,186
A new lease of life for my little Panasonics. The wooden bullets are plain magic. The baffles were cut from scrap and leftovers. Almost a zero cost project, and all the new stuff - glue, bitumous paint, and a handful of screws and nails were on hand.

OK, they need a bit of bass boost, they're only 460mm high and 300mm wide, but mids and top are great. Sharp transients, yet transparent top end.

I have tried two lengths of bullet. I think the shorter ones are better, but I'm not sure why.

Next on the agenda, is too attack the pressed steel frames. I have in mind to glue half round pieces of hardwood to the insides.

Then extract as much bass as I can from a pair of 6x9" car speakers, which are currently wasting space, on a H or U baffle, and PLLXO.

Attachments

• prototype-2.jpg
    prototype-2.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 5,764
FE168e Sigma BIB in Red

More info over in the BIB thread.

I had garbage speakers before .... so these sound like the best speakers on the planet right now. Very happy ... thanks to all who guided me along the path to DIY nirvana.

nirvana .... did someone say Nirvana ... OK ... I am going to go play some ... yahoooo !!!!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
G.Kennedy said:
400 mhz G3 Firewire Pismo ... pretty much the last of the breed.

My Pismo died (again -- in its last incarnation it had parts from 6 different PBs in it -- i'm gonna make one more attempt to resurrect it). My Lombard is still running (OS 9) fine... it has a broken ethernet port and i can't get OS X to run reliably on it)

I
use an iMic from Griffin Tech to run the music through the USB instead of the headphone jack. I was getting alot of hum through the mini headphone. Very clean through the iMic.

The iMic has limited HF response, and you should put a better USB (or FireWire) DAC on you list of future considerations... i'm still looking for one i can live with (and afford)

dave

planet10 said:

The iMic has limited HF response, and you should put a better USB (or FireWire) DAC on you list of future considerations... i'm still looking for one i can live with (and afford)

dave

OSX 10.3.9 seems very stable on this unit.

Pretty much every aspect of my system has some quality loss going on. Slowly but surely I will upgrade everything .... just started with the speakers.