Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

What could be simpler?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Haven't connected them yet...haven't found a pillow to borrow stuffing from.
They will be Xed at 350Hz with a pair of Dayton R2225s in 55lt boxes.

It looks cool, but....http://www.dwdrums.com/images/moonmic/olson_direct-radiator-loudspeaker-enclosures.pdf

Nice, Alvipet

Looks like a Tornado enclosure. Where did you find the L.Caos.

Thanks

You can locate the | 8" L Cao Alnico drivers | on eBay. Just click on the blue words to get there! Hope that helps you. Oh yeah just in case you didn't know there's a Field Coil version of the 8" L. Caos drivers now.

I'm listening to: A Paul Simon Songbook by Bill Cunliffe

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

Yes you are right, it is a Tornado enclosure! Here is the original L.Cao site https://fullrange.world.taobao.com/...m=a1z0b.7.0.0.cFm1YB&user_number_id=478742437 where I have bought drivers

Alvipet I'm curious how you made a purchase from that site when it's in Chinese? I kept trying to change the language to English, but nothing happened! So please share with us all what you did , ok?

I'm listening to: Make Someone Happy by Sophie Milman

Crap! Looks like a cylinder is the worst possible shape. B.Brines said he mounted his Scan Speak 10F/8424s in PVC pipe, but he must have mounted the pipe in the woofer box.

How to save it?

Thanks, Mack

Wait. Do you like how it sounds? If you do, don't listen to the "experts." I've heard plenty of systems that don't measure well and in theory should be crap, but they sound good. Many SE amps are like that. But if you've wondered why it doesn't sound smooth and full, or it sounds like you're missing parts of the music, the cylinder enclosure may well be the problem. Your's also has no baffle around the driver, which probably adds problems. But again, if it ain't broke to your ears, don't "fix" it. In other words, don't decide it has problems just because you read something that says it will sound terrible.

My older ears lack high frequency sensitivity, so I tend to like brighter systems that the "experts" would say are terrible. How good something is depends in large part on how your ears - and your brain - sense and interpret the sound. And there is no measuring device that can assess that.

Alvipet I'm curious how you made a purchase from that site when it's in Chinese? I kept trying to change the language to English, but nothing happened! So please share with us all what you did , ok?

There are a lot of Russian intermediary companies, which organize the purchase and delivery of goods from the Chinese market. Here is one of them http://cn.shopotam.ru

There are a lot of Russian intermediary companies, which organize the purchase and delivery of goods from the Chinese market. Here is one of them ?????? ?? ??????? ?????. ????????? ????????-???????? Taobao.com

Well you're lucky you read Russian, but since I don't read Russian any better than I do Chinese, knowing about that site won't help me at all.

I'm listening to: A Paul Simon Songbook by Bill Cunliffe

Well you're lucky you read Russian, but since I don't read Russian any better than I do Chinese, knowing about that site won't help me at all.

Tom, you can always paste the link in the text field of translate.google.com, click in the "translate" button and you will get a *relatively* good rendering of the website in your language of chhoice. Not perfect, can't translate images but better that trying to learn Chinese out of a website.

Wait. Do you like how it sounds?...........

Thanks Carlp, the active XO board just arrived today so it will be the weekend before I can listen. I'm able to do basic measurements and equalization.

It would be easy enough to add a baffle. 'Wonder about what size and shape?

BTW, the cylinder in the paper is 2' in diameter so Olsen's measurements might not apply to my 4" closed, stuffed, cylinders.

Thanks, Mack

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
BTW, the cylinder in the paper is 2' in diameter so Olsen's measurements might not apply to my 4" closed, stuffed, cylinders.

A smaller diameter just pushes the transition frequency up, the shape of the roll-off should still be similar.

We did this 1st with an Alpair 5 years & years ago, and later put our 10Fs into the same tube. I copied earlier examples.

246386d1319563517-just-too-much-stuff-sold-alpair5en-pipes-comp.jpg

dave

A smaller diameter just pushes the transition frequency up, the shape of the roll-off should still be similar.

We did this 1st with an Alpair 5 years & years ago, and later put our 10Fs into the same tube. I copied earlier examples.

dave

Thanks Dave. Would adding a rectangular baffle that mimics the front of a small book shelf enclosure, "fix" the problem?

Thanks, Mack

using chrome mobile browser is better for translation, and for buying items from taobao usually much more cheaper than from aliexpress or ebay

Hi gadut,

A small query. What was the driver price excluding shipping charges?

Thanks,
Saikat

driver price was $150 SGD, a real bargain for this driver. i had to wait for weeks until singapore distributor (neo) got restock. you can ask for cheapest shipping using singpost, 3times cheaper than regular package but maybe need more time to reach you, around 4-6weeks.

I have question and advice, as i posted previously on alpair10, now i'm using a tweeter (no brand and dont know it's spec) and use 1uf in series. I know most of ppl here seems fine with A10 high freq note and dont use tweeter, why do my ears tell opposite? is it because the driver + wire + connector combination that i have cant reach high freq note required by my ears? even using 0.5uf still give a good sparkle for me, which in calculation the tweeter already crossed above 20kHz

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-06-16-03-40-05.png
    Screenshot_2016-06-16-03-40-05.png
    219.1 KB · Views: 1,535