Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Mondogenerator: I guess the small ones are HiVi 2", very much like the ones I have.
The bigger could possible be 3"??

I built a pair of uFonken using 3" HiVi fullrange speakers and they sounded great.
Pic:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I am working on new cabinets with a better finish :Pinoc:.

The small 2" I have were intended for something simple like PC speakers using some thicker tubes of cardboard but then I ran into this design:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

:cool:

Last edited:
hi mondo,

i've got alpair 5 and bass 10 playing for awhile. the 5 is very detail and transparent without shout. the bass 10 have very detail bass, but i feel abit lack of dynamics and attack.

many have suggested the bass 10 in 12L BR and 5-8L for the alpair 5 and cross somewhere between 500-1500hz. whats on ur mind for the project?

i actually interested to do multiple bass 10, let say 4 /side with series-parallel config to keep them at 6ohm. the goal would be better dynamics and attack.

im waiting for minidsp btw, to try active config with them.

cheers
henry

alpair 6 desktop complete

There finished -- 6 months is all it took..

My first venture into a full range,, all I can say is wow! They sound amazing, probably the best I have heard... there are instruments on old tracks that I never knew were there and the imaging is as though I was in a room with the artist.. Bass is full and lifelike.. Wow! Thanks to Dave for the use of his design,,I modified it quite a bit. I suspect his version sounds even better..

The only issue is volume, they dont play loud before they distort. I am curious if any small full range can get loud.?. They dont distort equally one does and the other seems like it could hang on for a few more turns of the dial..

Attachments

• IMG_3273.jpg
    IMG_3273.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 1,922
  • IMG_3276.jpg
    IMG_3276.jpg
    873.1 KB · Views: 1,843
  • IMG_3277.jpg
    IMG_3277.jpg
    884 KB · Views: 1,635
  • IMG_3278.jpg
    IMG_3278.jpg
    884.2 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_3279.jpg
    IMG_3279.jpg
    840.4 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_3275.jpg
    IMG_3275.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 342
Those are beautiful. I see the curly maple for the side panels, but I don't recognize those stunning front panels. And am I correct in guessing that those front panels are solid wood and not veneer? I am not sure on the maple, but that front panel looks like solid wood, and I want it.

There finished -- 6 months is all it took..

My first venture into a full range,, all I can say is wow! They sound amazing, probably the best I have heard... there are instruments on old tracks that I never knew were there and the imaging is as though I was in a room with the artist.. Bass is full and lifelike.. Wow! Thanks to Dave for the use of his design,,I modified it quite a bit. I suspect his version sounds even better..

The only issue is volume, they dont play loud before they distort. I am curious if any small full range can get loud.?. They dont distort equally one does and the other seems like it could hang on for a few more turns of the dial..
Looks good!-- man, if you're using those for computer monitors nearfield, you must really listen loud if they're distorting!!
Don

Those are beautiful. I see the curly maple for the side panels, but I don't recognize those stunning front panels. And am I correct in guessing that those front panels are solid wood and not veneer? I am not sure on the maple, but that front panel looks like solid wood, and I want it.

Thanks! Here you go.. Great guy have ordered lots from them and always good quality..

Fraser Valley Fine Woods

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Typically i see t-amps power rated at 10% distortion. So that would suggest 92 dB max levels @ 1m before your amplifier clips. And it won't be clipping gracefully. It is easy to imagine a budget amp like this being mismatched in terms of maximum levels.

I have gotten my CHRs to similar levels in my room and at 4 metres distance (40 W DynaMutt which will clip much more gracefully)

So i don't think it is the speakers, but the amp. Time to try another amp to verify.

dave

PS: the amp looks very pretty too!!

My HT speaker XOVER schematic - finally

Hi -

Sorry for the long delay, but I wanted to 'finalize' this design before making it public.

I now have 6 of 8 running in my HT installation off an Onkyo TX-NR1008 'receiver' which has something called Audyssey MultEQ which is a built in automatic speaker equalization routine. Apparently, one thing it does for surround channels, even if you have them configured as 'full range' which I did, is that MultEQ measures their frequency response, then adds a HP filter at the speaker's effective 3db point (as measured by MultEQ) in the room. In my case, this turned out to be 40 hz and 50 hz for the wide fronts and side surround speakers. So, I guess it would be accurate to say these speakers respond down to 40-50 hz before rolling off in the real world since that's what Audyssey MultEQ measured.

Attachments

• XOVER.JPG
    XOVER.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,750