Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2010, 06:33 PM   #1271
diyAudio Member

Default Saburos

Building the Saburos were a bit of a leap of faith for me. It all started as a search for speakers for my office. I tried several different sets of speakers until finally borrowing a set of FE127eN based Milevas from Dave at Planet10, as by this time I wanted to build my own speakers. The sound of the Milevas was definitely what I was looking for, but the Milevas just didn't fit in my office. After listening to some FE126 based Frugal-horns, also thanks to Dave, I decided to build the Saburos. I hadn't listen to a set of Saburos but they used the FE126eN which I liked, they would fit into my office space (see pictures), and they reviewed well.

The Saburos are not complicated to build, however they do require 4x8 sheets of birch ply which is more expensive than the standard 5x5 sheets, and you need a bit more than two 4x8 sheets for the build. Also the plans are drawn for 19mm material but birch ply comes in 18mm so the plans have to be converted. There are a lot of pieces to cut and assemble so these speakers are not something you whip together in an afternoon. Mine took a little longer as I decided to veneer the baffle with cherry to contrast all the birch.

How do they sound? Well if nothing else was to change I would be very satisfied. IMO they sound better overall than the Milevas. To me the Saburos have more bass, and what I would call more open (invisible?). However, the Planet10 EnABLed drivers are not broken in yet, and the 120w Sansui I'm currently using is probably not the best amp for these speakers -- should have transformers in a couple of weeks for a SE tube amp build. I'm sure the speakers are also somewhat compromised by their position in my office. A little further apart would probably widen the sound stage, and of course a bigger room would also help But as I said before, I am already very happy with these speakers, so thanks Dave for once again sending me down the right path, and thanks to Scottmoose for the design of the Saburos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saburo.jpg (188.4 KB, 2305 views)
Old 29th June 2010, 06:51 PM   #1272
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

now that's a different twist on the concept of "bookshelf" loudspeaker - c'mon, someone had to say it

IMHO you gotta try a little EL84 PP amp to reveal more of the magic in this system - IINM something like that should be easy for Dave to arrange.
Old 29th June 2010, 07:43 PM   #1273
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Flemming,

Thanx for the review. Those look lovely.

I have trouble getting Chris to part with the little EL84 PP wonder, it is quite an advance on the cobbled together RH84 i lent you (althou less power)... take advantage of Chris' offer.

The TubeLab SE will also be very interesting... Chris's best amp is also an SE EL34 (if i remembered that right) althou his is designed & built by Eddie Vaughn.

dave
Old 29th June 2010, 07:49 PM   #1274
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
now that's a different twist on the concept of "bookshelf" loudspeaker - c'mon, someone had to say it
I was waiting for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
IMHO you gotta try a little EL84 PP amp to reveal more of the magic in this system - IINM something like that should be easy for Dave to arrange.
A tube amp is already in the works. I have all the parts except the transformers which I should have in a couple of weeks. As this is my first tube amp I decided to build a Tubelab SE as it allows me to try different tubes, UL/triode mode, cathode feedback, etc.
Old 29th June 2010, 08:11 PM   #1275
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I have trouble getting Chris to part with the little EL84 PP wonder, it is quite an advance on the cobbled together RH84 i lent you (althou less power)... take advantage of Chris' offer.
I thought he said you would arrange

I would like to hear the EL84. Maybe when I get my SE finished something could be arranged, swap amps for a few days....
Old 29th June 2010, 08:21 PM   #1276
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandersen View Post
I thought he said you would arrange
I'll send you Chris' email...

dave
Old 29th June 2010, 09:26 PM   #1277
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
10 litres is a bit small... i settled on 13 litre (and then my hiR ports -- if i use a piece of PVC pipe i inevitibly end up putting a "sock" in the port. Sounds like soe judicial use of carefully cut open cel foam is required.

dave
alpair 10 near field monitor, port open, box stuffed, average listening room(furnishings) 6" from wall

I've been wrestling with some stuffing and come to the conclusion that I like 10 ltrs, very much.......I ended up with 75% porous wadding and 25% lhw in the bottom........these things are awesome to my ears and after a few re-mixes I have to say I much prefer them to both the tannoys and the mackies.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a10mon-pobf-wall.jpg (108.5 KB, 2194 views)
Old 29th June 2010, 10:14 PM   #1278
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Fleming: in my haste to make a bad joke, I neglected to compliment you on the very pretty build

PM me for further conversations re amp etc.

cheers
Old 30th June 2010, 02:57 AM   #1279
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

With the demise of the well-loved FE127 (i have at least the NA supply all here) we decided to make some special builds of mFonken & FonkenPrime for our archives. Here is the mFonken build. Corian top, specially coloured drivers. Chris did an excellent job.

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 30th June 2010, 03:27 AM   #1280
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Very chic!, But does the "Lawyer" approve??
Don

Hide this!Advertise here!