I have just completed my Bass Reflex El70´s

Attachments

• el701.jpg
    el701.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 1,603
  • el702.jpg
    el702.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 1,564
Well, these are the Konus Audio speakers. The wood is Bosnian Pine.

From origin, they are covered with a fine varnish, but I took all the varnish.
I know a "menuisier" (someone who works with wood), who made a lot of research about XVII th century wood techniques.
At that time, the most sophisticated techniques consisted in working the wood surface without any product.
He reproduced the tools from that time and took the varnish out. Then he treated the surface with these tools until a point where the wood shows it's natural shining reflex.
So they have a natural discrete brilliance, very "chic".
This gentleman restores furniture from the Palace of Versalhes, and he has a shop in Paris 200 metres from my apartment, (a few years ago, because I moved to Fontainebleau).
He made it for me, because he knew how much I like these speakers.

This way, the speakers get old in a very beautiful way, the wood oxidates naturally.
There is also a great advantage : if I have a problem like an accident, a shock, it is easy to restore the wood, just have to restore it locally. I mean, if they had varnish, I would have to redone all the surface finishing. (Jesus, I hpe I am beeing clear, with my english!).

He told me that varnish appeared to hide imperfections and to make a less perfect job.
Anyway, the surface is very beautiful now, and silky.

I am doing myself an incredible shelf, (125 x 55 x 11,5)cm. It took me already almost 100 hours just to polish. (I am not using his technique, I have not the tools and I don't know how to do it, I just invented my techniques. This shelf will be beautiful, with good sonic caracteristics. I will post some photos when ready. It weights more than 60 kilos! I have some other projects of hifi furniture and I will explain how You can do it. Very simple... but a lot of work. But if you have a nice machine like a bosh pro or a dewalt, (or even better), the work will be much easier. Nevertheless, if you want the best results, you have to make the final polish by hand.

For maintenance, no products, just a dry silky tissue.

I do this in my spare time, nothing to do with my professional life.

Last edited:
I will make photos with a nice day light, this summer, because these photos don't make justice.
I know that my friend Jean had A LOT of work...

These drivers give the ilusion of having tweeters.
The bass is dry and harmonic, 40 hertz, but true, nice transmission line, so simple and efective.
But the best thing is how thet communicate.
With electronic music, for example, they are incredible, and the music is very easy to follow... it makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:
I will make photos with a nice day light, this summer, because these photos don't make justice.
I know that my friend Jean had A LOT of work...

These drivers give the ilusion of having tweeters.
The bass is dry and harmonic, 40 hertz, but true, nice transmission line, so simple and efective.
But the best thing is how thet communicate.
With electronic music, for example, they are incredible, and the music is very easy to follow... it makes a lot of sense.

So are those Jordans 92s? It's hard for me to believe you could get solid 40Hz while also reaching convincingly into the tweeter range. I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I've heard so much about the Jordans but never heard them. I do know, though, that a good TL can work wonders...

Cheers!

Well Carlp, I understand you.
A few weeks ago, a friend of mine, a very experienced audiophile, came to my house and when he looked to the speakers he said he couldn't believe that they couldn't produce such a bass. After hearing he was not ceptical. The same with all audiophiles.. It is not a bass that shakes your body, of course, and you have to have really good sources, otherwise it sounds like a can and metalic. They make a very mature sound, very solid.

I had sbl's from naim before, (incredible speakers), it makes me remember the sbl bass, tonal and dry, but of course, they can't accept as much power than sbl's, but they make a better soundstage and are more expressive. They are less "generalists" than sbl. SBL rock better.

Well Carlp, I understand you.
A few weeks ago, a friend of mine, a very experienced audiophile, came to my house and when he looked to the speakers he said he couldn't believe that they couldn't produce such a bass. After hearing he was not ceptical. The same with all audiophiles.. It is not a bass that shakes your body, of course, and you have to have really good sources, otherwise it sounds like a can and metalic. They make a very mature sound, very solid.

I had sbl's from naim before, (incredible speakers), it makes me remember the sbl bass, tonal and dry, but of course, they can't accept as much power than sbl's, but they make a better soundstage and are more expressive. They are less "generalists" than sbl. SBL rock better.

Well, I've read such good things about the Jordans that I'd be tempted if it weren't for their cost. I'm still tempted despite the cost, and when I can put aside the $ for them, I suspect I will. Meanwhile, my $20 Pioneer BOFU drivers in a TL still amaze me.

TB 1808 in a simple sealed box. Will go deeper in a larger ported box but these need to be apartment friendly. Very detailed and natural sound.

.8cf - F3 95hz / F10 55hz.

Zilla

>>> Meanwhile, my $20 Pioneer BOFU drivers in a TL still amaze me.

Yup, those B20s are also terrific. Not as good as the TBs but for the price they may be the best option out there - when they were available. I have a pair playing in my son's room for years. He loves them.

Attachments

• TB-1808-sealed-1.jpg
    TB-1808-sealed-1.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 1,698
  • TB-1808-sealed-2.jpg
    TB-1808-sealed-2.jpg
    641 KB · Views: 1,680
Last edited:
You will not be disappointed.
With time, they sound better and better.
There are new drivers rom Jordan, they look amazing, but they are even more expensive.

Take a look
Jordan loudspeaker drive units
Sexy!
The Jordan Eikona

Eikona drive unit
"The Jordan Eikona is a compact drive unit capable of operating from below 40Hz to above 20,000Hz. In the appropriate enclosure, it can cover almost the full range of music."

Sadly, they have a different chassis than the ols ones...
Eikona Loudspeaker Systems

I will see if I can adapte then to my boxes and would sell my drivers.
If not, I think that I will build one pais one of these days.