Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery - Page 127 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th June 2010, 02:31 PM   #1261
inputs is offline inputs  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Frugal Horns!

I've finally completed the set of frugel-horns I've been working on for... longer than I care to admit. Here they are, on top of the workbench were I built them, surrounded by the mounds of detritus which fills my garage. These pictures were taken while they played music for the first time.

The drivers were purchased on the swap meet forum here, and have been "modified." The speakers were constructed entirely out of 18mm birch ply (not baltic birch, but still 13 plys). I built them so that the binding posts are attached to the baffle, which can be removed from the rest of the speaker by removing 4 bolts. I hope that as I adjust the volume of the CC, this modification to the plan will prove convenient.

And they sound great! I haven't listened to them in their permanent location yet, so I'm listening without proper corner loading. I'm also using an unmodified T-amp, which I expect isn't ideal. Even given these limitations, I'm very happy with how they sound.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0078.JPG (705.1 KB, 2440 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0082.JPG (678.4 KB, 2121 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0083.JPG (710.3 KB, 1954 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0084.JPG (756.5 KB, 1654 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0086 (Large).JPG (132.1 KB, 1586 views)
Old 27th June 2010, 04:02 PM   #1262
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Those look lovely. Can you post a close-up of the driver?

dave
Old 27th June 2010, 05:19 PM   #1263
diyAudio Member

No problem. Naturally, I snapped a picture of the driver that is missing one of its screws. I'm going to get a proper replacement tomorrow at work. The drivers are marked FE126E.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0077-1.JPG (688.9 KB, 580 views)
Old 28th June 2010, 08:16 PM   #1264
Ropie is offline Ropie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

My versions of Tony Gee's fantastic little Solo 103s (with Fostex 107s). They are green

Dave, what do you think - would they benefit from a a pair of phase plugs? They sound about right to me though lack bass and really need a sub, but some painted green phase plugs may look great if nothing else..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2676-1 (dragged).jpg (534.2 KB, 608 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2671-1 (dragged).jpg (449.7 KB, 987 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2673-1 (dragged).jpg (541.9 KB, 563 views)

Last edited by Ropie; 28th June 2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 29th June 2010, 01:16 AM   #1265
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by inputs View Post
No problem. Naturally, I snapped a picture of the driver that is missing one of its screws. I'm going to get a proper replacement tomorrow at work. The drivers are marked FE126E.
I wonder what he has done the cone with?

When we were 1st cutting out the caps in these, cutting back to the glueline would have killed the driver... i wonder if they were cahnged when the baskets were updated?

dave
Old 29th June 2010, 10:00 AM   #1266
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropie View Post
My versions of Tony Gee's fantastic little Solo 103s (with Fostex 107s). They are green

Dave, what do you think - would they benefit from a a pair of phase plugs? They sound about right to me though lack bass and really need a sub, but some painted green phase plugs may look great if nothing else..
They look good. Might not fit in with everyone's decor, but they're very striking. Good to see someone else is using speakOn connections.

There's a section on Dave's website about phase plugs that might be worth a read, but the warning is that the wires for the voice coil pass near to where you'd be cutting the dustcap, so it's tricky.

planet_10 hifi (I assume the FE107s are similar in construction...).

Chris
Old 29th June 2010, 10:16 AM   #1267
Toppsy is offline Toppsy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Tang Band W8-1772 standmounts

Thought I'd post some pictures of my latest build. These are 40L BR design based on Bob Brines FB-20 for the Fostex FE206e but optimised for the Tang bands.

The internal volume and port arrangement was reached through correspondance with Bob. Many thanks for your help Bob.

Bob's original plan calls for a BSC but I have found with the TB driver and the speakers placed to within 6 inches to a rear wall the bass gain is sufficient without the need the BSC. I do so hate what a passive BSC does to the sound of a full range driver. However, after experiment to kill the sibilance and hF shrill a zobel is now fitted. I must say I like the sound of these speakers very much indeed and I believe Bob Brines will be adding something similar for the W8-1772 to his range of speakers soon. This is a very, very good sounding speaker if you prefer a standmount over the TT-2000 floorstander that Bob offers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6290207.JPG (165.7 KB, 483 views)
File Type: jpg P6290203.JPG (137.7 KB, 357 views)
File Type: jpg P6290206.JPG (164.9 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg P6290205.JPG (152.0 KB, 322 views)
Old 29th June 2010, 04:43 PM   #1268
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropie View Post

I have found that on the small drivers, phase plugs do not do anything that my treatment does, but that removing the air damper behind the dustcap does make pushing them beyond their limits in the bass happens a bit sooner and a bit more dramatically. I recommend phase plugs for these primarily when faced with an unrecoverable dustcap accident (Chris is getting a pair of FE126eN that has phase plugs for that reason)

With the FE103 we have run into no VC wire issues (or rather clients haven't)

dave
Old 29th June 2010, 04:53 PM   #1269
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to thetubeguy1954
Hello Inputs,

I just wanted to tell you I think your Frugel-horns are absolutely beautiful! What a lucky fellow you are. Your speakers are not only aural, but also visual works of art. Keep up the great work!

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)
Old 29th June 2010, 05:41 PM   #1270
diyAudio Member

@planet10 I'm not sure what they've been treated with. It looks like it could be diluted wood glue, based on the color and texture. I'm happy with the sound, though I don't really have anything worthwhile to compare them with.

@thetubeguy1954 Thank you very much for the compliment. I'm a little surprised, but my wife even likes them. :-)

Hide this!Advertise here!