Eclipse TD712z

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Waf

JRKO said:
If your other half is happy with boxes the size of washing machines in the livingroom.....does she have a sister?

I have Tannoy 10inch DC's AND Tannoy 15inch DC's in the living room. We live in a one bedroom flat.... :D ;)

Any UK takers?

So are your new speakers going to be in the bedroom?

I was chatting with a speaker manufacturer the other day, he talked about an USHER project that required assembly of the speakers at the customers house. The whole speaker weight about 200KG each, taller than one person. Being inside the speaker was part of the assembly process.:eek:

Hi Soongcs

The JX53 replacement has its resonance at about 70Hz. I've seen one operating out of its enclosure and 'breathing' at about 20Hz - seemed to have a lot of xMax but guess we'll have to wait until the full specs are available. In final testing at present. In the 1 litre enclosure, it certainly had enough bass to work as a stand-alone, bookshelf fullrange.

Colin

Colin said:
Hi Soongcs

The JX53 replacement has its resonance at about 70Hz. I've seen one operating out of its enclosure and 'breathing' at about 20Hz - seemed to have a lot of xMax but guess we'll have to wait until the full specs are available. In final testing at present. In the 1 litre enclosure, it certainly had enough bass to work as a stand-alone, bookshelf fullrange.

Colin

If you ever get some at hand, possibly we can share some experiences through mail?

JRKO said:
HEHEHE thats my size speaker. Just moving the BIG Tannoys I managed to rip a toenail off my foot when I dropped it!:bigeyes: :bawling: :rolleyes:

These little babies will be my main listening system....so they have to be damn good.

Well, the best full ranges I've listend to so far are the Jordan drivers. Lots of others many times more expensive I have not dared to acquire without listening to them first.

JRKO said:
Just me being a muppet!!

I meant W3-871's:clown:

The W3-871 are really popular. I haven't used this model before, but using other metal cone models from Tang Band show that they sound good, and is a good value for the price. If you are used to the Tannoys, these may sound good to you as well.

For people that love the little details and better resolution, Jordans are much better in this aspect.

Ket us know what finally get and what you think of the sound.

Have had some interest in my tannoys so it should not be too long until I can get some new drivers. I have a mental picture of how I want the Tangbands to look.......

I am also very interested in the Jordan JX92 TL plan on thier sight. it looks pretty great AND the wife likes the look of them!!!!

I could get some pretty fantastic veneer for them as well. Just how 'full range' are the jordan TL's?

How to build and egg shaped cabinet

inflate an apropriate baloon to the size you need, then cover it with newspaper strips saturated in wallpaper paste (PVA adhesive?) Wait untill the shell is hardened, and start casting your fibreglass on it, no need for a massive lump of wood. Once yu have made the whole for the driver you can remove the baloon and do any internal smoothting that might be needed.

Re: How to build and egg shaped cabinet

snip6600 said:
inflate an apropriate baloon to the size you need, then cover it with newspaper strips saturated in wallpaper paste (PVA adhesive?) Wait untill the shell is hardened, and start casting your fibreglass on it, no need for a massive lump of wood. Once yu have made the whole for the driver you can remove the baloon and do any internal smoothting that might be needed.

Lots of balloons deflate with time. How long does it take for you to get a shell? How do you get both to be the same size and shape?

Re: Re: How to build and egg shaped cabinet

soongsc said:

Lots of balloons deflate with time. How long does it take for you to get a shell? How do you get both to be the same size and shape?

The paper shell will have hardened by the time the baloon deflates, as to how to make two identical shells,, that's a good question actually, I supose one possible way of doing it would be to laquer the paper shell and smooth it then smear vaseline on it and form two halves of the shell, take them off and form the next two halves. This is a bit annoying because you do not get a whole shell, however it should be quite possible to join the two seemlessly together.

However if you are doing this you might as well be using an egg shaped piece of styrofoam, theese can be bought in craft shops I guess,

Unfortunately I believe acetone will damage fibre glass otherwise you could form a full egg on a styrofoam thingy and simply inject acetone into it which would dissolve the styrofoam quite rapidly.

JRKO said:
HEY HEY PAPER MASHE!!!:clown: :clown:

I remember making masks using that method at junior school.

Isn't this forum a wonder? Not only do I get help in making a pig of a cabinet shape, I also get to re live my school days as though I was 5 again!!!!:D

Great call Snip6600
Yes I was rather surprised to come up with that idea myself. When I was in kindergarden we made little animals and things using this technigue.

With the balloon shrinkage problem.......

How about filling the balloon with expanding foam? The only problem I can see that may arise is that the foam wont fill evenly an then you end up with something that is all lumpy. (though that shape may help reduce standing waves further!!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.