Pioneer 8" fun

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
edjosh23 said:
These speakers still need time to break in (I hope) because they don't sound that great. They sound is a little thin. Great bass responce though. Really great bass actually.

Good work. With regards to the thin sound, you can try experimenting with some different tweeters. A cheap tweeter with about 1uF may do the trick. See the following links for more info about the Pioneer driver.

http://melhuish.org/audio/DIYBX16.html

http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/cs-amps-speakers.pdf

There is a lot of good information in the above two links.

Let us know how you make out.

After reading this thread I decided to screw around with some B51 drivers I had from an old project. I whipped up a pair of bass reflex cabs tuned to around 50 hz, and slapped in the drivers. Not bad at all. The bass is impressive for a FR driver, and the overall presentation is smooth and inoffensive. Doesn't need much power either. It really cries out for a tweeter though. Good bang for the buck.

jeremym,

I was in search of a reall full range driver for many months and the only driver I could come up with was the discontinuesd FX200. That is what modelled best of all the drivers I looked at. I've decided I like ull range drivers more than multiway speakers.

I decided to try adding a tweeter, it was an old technics horn tweeter I had laying around, but I am pretty happy with the results. I tried seeing just how loud these pioneers go, and man do they get loud. They can handle a lot of power, a lot more than the wr125s.

I was unaware the pioneer was one the single driver website, I thought I read the entire website, but I guess I missed that one.

Thanks,

Josh

edjosh23 said:
jeremym,

I was in search of a reall full range driver for many months and the only driver I could come up with was the discontinuesd FX200. That is what modelled best of all the drivers I looked at. I've decided I like ull range drivers more than multiway speakers.

I had a set of FX200 drivers in an ML TL for a number of months, but I ended up selling them and picking up some FE206's. The FX200s were pretty good-nice highs, but I prefer the 206's in a BLH hands down. Anyway, there are tons of great FR drivers out there, it's an addiction. I'm running out of space in my living room.

Nelson - What the heck are you going to do w/ 200 of those drivers?!!!

Hasn't Nelson already dropped a hint?

"With a high impedance source, say 8 to 15 ohms, it does quite well."

So Nelson is probably going to offer these Pioneer FR drivers in a custom designed box along with the F3 amps OR the F3s could be part of an active speaker system (with a single speaker, ofcourse) like Nelson's other active speaker, viz., Rushmore.

By the way Nelson, David Dicks must have got in touch with you regarding his Audio Nirvana 8" dual cone offerings. Have you been able to test these and compare them with the Fostex 8" drivers? Thanks for the input.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Samuel Jayaraj said:
So Nelson is probably going to offer these Pioneer FR drivers in a custom designed box along with the F3 amps OR the F3s could be part of an active speaker system (with a single speaker, ofcourse) like Nelson's other active speaker, viz., Rushmore.

By the way Nelson, David Dicks must have got in touch with you regarding his Audio Nirvana 8" dual cone offerings. Have you been able to test these and compare them with the Fostex 8" drivers? Thanks for the input.

It may be that RenoMark will work up a promotion to package
them with F2's for guys who want to build some boxes and
get their feet wet.

And we do have a pair of the Audio Nirvanas on the way.

edjosh23 said:
Well by now these speakers are definately broken in and sound pretty good. The lower midrange/upper bass is great and one of my friends want a pair.

I was wondering what removing the wizzer would do to the sound? Will it, by any chance, liven up the upper midrange or lower treble like I've heard it does to other drivers?

Thanks,

Josh

removing the whizzer will reduce the high frequencies. If that's what you wanted to do, I daresay you might try http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=290-042 or http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=290-063

try a coat or two of damar on the whizzer / main cone if you want to play around with altering the tone of these speakers.

if you really wanted to get adventurous, ...try horn loading the b20 (it's a low qts driver anyway)

zobsky said:

removing the whizzer will reduce the high frequencies. If that's what you wanted to do, I daresay you might try http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=290-042 or http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=290-063

try a coat or two of damar on the whizzer / main cone if you want to play around with altering the tone of these speakers.

if you really wanted to get adventurous, ...try horn loading the b20 (it's a low qts driver anyway)

i might take you up on that hornloading:devilr:

know of any good "drop in" designs for this?

i think this would be a good project for guys like me (who are cheapos ;-) ) to try some of the larger full range drivers without spending the big bucks on things like 80 dollar fostex drivers...

Well this weekend I'm gonna build some boxes for these, but I'm not sure whether I should try vented or I should stay with sealed.

On the single driver website he said he preferred the sealed box.
My box is probably going to be about 2.5x the size of his though.

My box is going to be about 1.875ft^3 while his was .75ft^3.
If you all think that a vented box would be good than I'm gonna tune it to 33hz.

So which should I build, vented or sealed?
Has anyone tried on of the two boxes? Which do you all like?

Thanks,

Josh

nerd of nerds said:

i might take you up on that hornloading:devilr:

know of any good "drop in" designs for this?

i think this would be a good project for guys like me (who are cheapos ;-) ) to try some of the larger full range drivers without spending the big bucks on things like 80 dollar fostex drivers...

many ways to do this, ... google up big fun horn or all fun horn , fairly easy instructions on how to size things up.. for starters, ... i would design for maybe 45Hz - 50Hz or so to avoid ending up with coffin sized monoliths. if you're just building prototypes, use mdf, .. but if you're going for the real thing, .. use 3/4" ply or at least 3/4" ply for the shell and mdf for the horn folds.

for something easy that might work, look up RCA-Fan's k-slot horn on audioasylum.

cheers

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
edjosh23 said:
So which should I build, vented or sealed?
Has anyone tried on of the two boxes? Which do you all like?

If you put some resistance in series with the amp (or use a
current source) you can extend the bottom with a sealed
box, but with a conventional amp I have had good results
with an ordinary TL (1/4 wave) and a Bass Reflex.

Well for this project I've decided to do something pretty simple. I designed a 1.875ft^3 box for bass reflex. This is definately a cheap project, something to hold me over until I start working on my reference 2.5-way I've yet do decide on any drivers on this project I'm hoping for more imput to choose drivers. But I think these will be a fun little project that of course very cheap. I'm only using 1/2" mdf and I just want to get my wood working skills better before I set down a couple hundred on drivers. I'm not that skilled with MathCAD although I think I'm slowly getting better I think I'm gonna stay out of it for this project.

Thanks,

Josh

I had a little trouble with the router today, but I got it all taken care of. In the pictures you can probably see why one might have a little trouble with this roundover, but it turned out great. The boxes are mostly assembled, well not mostly, we will say half way, but everything seems to be going very smoothly. It looks like I may end up making the interior a bit smaller because I think I'm going to add another 1/2" the the bottom to better mounth the spikes. I can't wait to finish them and hear these guys play. I went to an audio shop near buy to purchase an inductor and a resistor for the the BSC, but they were closed. I went their a couple saturdays ago and they were open. On their door it has store hours and it says next to saturday, call and see if tech is in. Its a very small buisiness. Well below are a couple of pictures, tell me what you think. There are more pictures on page 6 of my website too.

Thanks,

Josh

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

sorry I still have to do some sanding, well lots
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Today I did quite a bit of work on these. I added another .5" layer of mdf to the front baffle, making it a total of 1.5" all four sides on the front baffle have 7.5degree slants until they meet the sides of the cabinet. Right now they have 5 sides on them and the hole for the port is not cut out yet. Even with only 5 sides these way about 60lbs each. Even though they aren't done I love these. I think the look great. They are heavy and mean. I can't wait until these are completely done, too bad I don't have more time. I've only got about 30 projects that are unfinished.

Pictures soon.

Josh

The construction is over. Just have to make 2 last cuts. One is for the binding posts. The other is for the vent. I'm not really sure about this vent idea. Im thinking about keeping them sealed. These things are heavy. I think they weigh about 70lbs. The bass seems alright, no stuffing yet, I try to leave it out until
I put the terminals in so I don't get polyfil on my tools. Don't worry I have lots and lots of sanding to do before these get any finish on them.

Here are some pictures.

Josh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.