diyAudio Full Range Reference Project - Page 40 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2005, 01:20 PM   #391
miguel2 is offline miguel2  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Is the Karlson design suitable for subwoofer applications?

Miguel
Old 15th February 2005, 03:03 PM   #392
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Being basially a bandpass design, it is especially well suited for sub duty IF a suitable driver is used and is made large enough. At a glance, an Avalanche 15" in ~9.2ft^3 net looks good to below audibility.

GM
Old 1st March 2005, 10:56 PM   #393
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Today someone asked if my FE103/40-1197 phase plugs would fit into the FE127.

So i was oblidged to do a dustcapectomy... after a bit of a struggle getting some errant bits of dust cap out of the gap....

The FE127 has quite long voice coil that extends quite a bit beyond the apex of the cone. The 103/1197 phase plug is the right diameter but i think needs about 9-10mm more "shoulder".

It was interesting to see some ripples in the out-of-the-box impedance curve disappeared with the dust cap removal (some came back with the too short phase plug)...

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fe127-phase-plugs.jpg (40.8 KB, 4314 views)
Old 1st March 2005, 11:02 PM   #394
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

dotted line is with no dust cap... fresh out the box

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif fe127-imp.gif (9.9 KB, 4196 views)
Old 2nd March 2005, 02:30 AM   #395
diyAudio Member

Default phase plug suggestion

Cool Work Dave: could you do a couple of other plugs for comparrison? I was thinking about a short cylinder with a large enough diameter to mostly fill the voice coil former and then mount a sphere on the end about the size of glass marble the kind we used to call "boulders" (smaller than a ping pong ball). Also could you go to your local hardware store and get one of those miniture spot lights with the mini base? They look kind of like a flat door knob. Don't know if you ever saw but Beauhorn use a shape like that in one of thier Lowther horns. Would be cool to see what they do to the plots as well as to the precieved quality of the drivers top end. The fe127e could use a bit more sparkle in the top end. Best regards Moray James.
Old 2nd March 2005, 06:08 AM   #396
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Good ideas Moray... i'm always looking for found items that can be repurposed...

dave
Old 4th March 2005, 06:10 PM   #397
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Apologies in advance for not reading all the pages in this thread, but would it be possible for someone to summarize the status? I'm interested in this as a someday project, but after scrolling back many pages I'm not sure where it's at. Has a driver been settled on yet?
I'm thinking about a FR project, particularly after an article in the latest audioXpress using a Fostex FE103. The author at the end mentions another design that I'll have to look into.

PaulB

p.s. Hi Moray, that was you I talked to on the phone a few months back, right? How are things? Bow thawed out yet (don't get down there much)?
Old 4th March 2005, 06:22 PM   #398
diyAudio Member

Hey Paul: you are close at hand so if you would like you can come over and have a listen to what I have veen doing with the Fostex fe126e as well as the fe166e. I also have a set of fe207e's in a Martin King MLTL cabinet you can listen to. Have not yet got the JLH amp boards installed into the case but soon I hope. Best regards Moray James.
Old 5th March 2005, 06:21 AM   #399
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Since Chris sold his FE108ES B-Horns, and is holding off on the FE168ES, we decided that for the interim it would be a good idea to implement the straight bi-pole so he has something to listen too...

we did a few mods to the existing v0.2 to accomodate the particular situation, here is the plan... called v0.3cb.

Changes/implementation details:
1/ aspect ratio is slightly changed to make them narrower & deeper.
2/ sides extended to meet the floor (ie built-in stand)
3/ ported out the bottom
4/ port moved "outside" the box, ends flared slightly, length increased a bit to compensate (and convienently the same as 3 stacked pieces of 3/4" material)

Will be built with BB + MDF for the base & the extra bottom thickness (choosen for its extra mass to lower the centre of gravity)

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif diya-fe127-ref-bipole-v03cb.gif (29.5 KB, 6061 views)
Old 6th March 2005, 01:46 AM   #400
diyAudio Member

I agree with PaulB, would someone like to suggest a reference driver at least? Maybe a mid-size one that provides a ballance between bass and highs, and is not too expense. Something that would be a good starting point for those of us that have not built a single driver fullrange?

Hide this!Advertise here!