Line array using 1.5" to 2" max driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
burgunder mentioned the SB Acoustics SB65WBAC25-4 (a 2 1/2 inch driver) as a candidate for a line array driver. I have a modified CBT24 array (thanks to Don Keele for his original work) detailed in a thread at:

My New Line Array--It's a Modified CBT24

Modified CBT24 - Google Photos

I'm very pleased with my results with the SB65s in the modified CBT24 array.

Last edited:
Yep Dave, that's what I was thinking. Horizontal.

I'm sure mine will be a hot mess, but certainly will be fun for 50 bucks! :D

Haha, I think I'm in for 50 of these:

SPK-1516AG 1-3/8" x 6" Paper Cone Full-Range Speaker 8 Ohm

No gaps between the drivers means it's 34 3/8 x 6" stack. Baffle assembly will probably be 1x4 poplar along each side with a few braces running around the back. Open baffle? U-frame? (built in bracing) Not floor to ceiling but maybe something fun to hang in the garage to throw some sound around?

Cutting/screwing a box looks like a couple hour affair but the wiring harness will be terrible. But nothing has as easy of a mounting bracket, maybe this with its slightly greater SD: YDT0420-4BP 1-1/2" x 7" Paper Cone Full-Range Speaker 16 Ohm

Hmmmm...

Pano and DPH can waste a lot of time and effort building line arrays with cheap TV drivers and they will have speakers that sound like, well, cheap TV speakers. You'll end with bloody hands from handling all the connections and wire and have no fun with a dead end project like you envision.

Save your money--albeit a small amount. Spend time in deciding on a specific approach with some real engineering and forethought. A well designed and constructed line array can yield significant satisfaction to your listening pleasure. Your family will be impressed and your friends will amazed with the results. They may may even let you bring your project inside the house!

It's a good point, and one I thought a bit deeper on. Namely, "do I want to mess around with assembling these?" and the answer was, "no". Saves the trouble and the space.

Might mess around with a couple drivers in a much smaller line array (using a couple of these lengthwise in height) just to see what happens loaded into a horizontal horn.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
In my case they will sound like 84 cheap TV drivers. :D
Sorry Jim, I've already built too many "serious speakers" and plan to build too many more. Sometimes it's just about having cheap fun.

Kudos to those, like Pete, who want to engineer something great - go for it. :up:

I am on Jim's side here.

I know this is DIYAudio, but I don't have the time to build labor intensive speakers that will sound terrible.

If I try something in the spirit of DIY, I want that design to have a fighting chance of at least being good enough.

All those drivers you guys have been suggesting barely reach 10kHz, while in an array, you loose the high end quickly. Even with extensive EQ, it won't sound any good. And arrays need EQ. Period. If anyone builds an array and listens as is, that person will join the ranks of "arrays don't sound good, I know, I tried." There's a lot of work involved in building arrays, with the build, and after the build. Give yourselves a break and select a driver that stands a chance of sounding good.

I remember a quote from wesayso's Tower thread.... He said to choose your driver carefully because what you hear in a single driver, will be amplified on steroids in a line array.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Pano and DPH can waste a lot of time and effort building line arrays with cheap TV drivers and they will have speakers that sound like, well, cheap TV speakers. You'll end with bloody hands from handling all the connections and wire and have no fun with a dead end project like you envision.

Save your money--albeit a small amount. Spend time in deciding on a specific approach with some real engineering and forethought. A well designed and constructed line array can yield significant satisfaction to your listening pleasure. Your family will be impressed and your friends will amazed with the results. They may may even let you bring your project inside the house!

do not forget peteleoni...building array from many 1.5 drivers

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Haha, I think I'm in for 50 of these:

SPK-1516AG 1-3/8" x 6" Paper Cone Full-Range Speaker 8 Ohm

No gaps between the drivers means it's 34 3/8 x 6" stack. Baffle assembly will probably be 1x4 poplar along each side with a few braces running around the back. Open baffle? U-frame? (built in bracing) Not floor to ceiling but maybe something fun to hang in the garage to throw some sound around?

Cutting/screwing a box looks like a couple hour affair but the wiring harness will be terrible. But nothing has as easy of a mounting bracket, maybe this with its slightly greater SD: YDT0420-4BP 1-1/2" x 7" Paper Cone Full-Range Speaker 16 Ohm

Hmmmm...

Those do not go above 10k Hz...put multiples of those in line array, and comb effect will reduce heights even further, and it will sound dull without tweeters (i know, i built curved array with cheap auras)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
… but I don't have the time to build labor intensive speakers that will sound terrible.

I have heard some good TV drivers (and more crappy ones)

I remember a quote from wesayso's Tower thread.... He said to choose your driver carefully because what you hear in a single driver, will be amplified on steroids in a line array.

After his and others recommendation i got 4 TC9s and was very dissapointed with them. They ar efiled into the crappy TV drivers category AFAIC.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.