I'm building a boombox out of a wooden log, I need help for getting parts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Full range drivers normally doesn't have very much Xmax. The construction details needed to do treble well, combined with high(ish) sensitivity will usually set limits to what Xmax can be achieved.

There are some exceptions. Seas has a new one, the FEA18RCZ 6,5", that has 6mm p-p Xmax and 14mm p-p Xmech. This can handle some LT boost. About 50Hz -3dB should be doable.

H1794-08 FEA18RCZ

Johan-Kr

Hey,

Thanks for your response c:
Those look pretty sweet,
I'm highly considering buying those.
The VAS looks fine. I don't see nothing wrong with em^^
I suppose I should invest in a high capacity lithium battery as well.

And I'm going to need help with the wiring and all that, but that's a problem for later time.

-HCB

Consider doing a foam or felt lens for each driver. It's just a simple piece of material with a hole in it. Thick and/or dense enough that high frequencies above a certain range is blocked and with a hole in it to simulate a smaller driver for better dispersion of the high frequencies.
Simple and it works! You'll need to dial up the top though, because some of it will be absorbed by the lens.

Full range drivers normally doesn't have very much Xmax. The construction details needed to do treble well, combined with high(ish) sensitivity will usually set limits to what Xmax can be achieved.

There are some exceptions. Seas has a new one, the FEA18RCZ 6,5", that has 6mm p-p Xmax and 14mm p-p Xmech. This can handle some LT boost. About 50Hz -3dB should be doable.

H1794-08 FEA18RCZ

Johan-Kr

Hey,
If I were yo buy these, what other parts would I need to buy? As I have stated before I have little knowledge on audio technology. What is LT boosting? what is p-p, what is Xmech/Xmas ...
At this point I'll basically buy anything that you guys tell that would suit this project.

thanks,
HCB

You primarily need only a two-channel amp with power supply and a source (bluetooth module).

The linkwitz transform can be look at as a type of equalizer cirquit to give much better bass. This can be handled by proper playback software in the source. A minidsp or similar is a better way of doing it, but the cheapest kit is $80, and software can do the trick.

Johan-Kr

Yeah, in fact the log has been made almost two years ago, so no worries about it drying anymore. The PVC pipe isn't actually a bad idea, and I am considering to do just that. Alternatively I could reinforce the inside with some hose clamps, and after which "wrap" the inside with some latex wrapping to still have it airtight if the wood ever cracks up somewhere.

HCB

A crack developing was my first thought followed by an insert only I pictured cardboard tube treated with clear coat. PVC sounds like it has inferior acoustic value. I made car door speaker pots and experimented with it other ways.

The natural inconsistencies and irregularities inside may work better. Remembering one of the other consensuses that wood surfaces followed by wood composites are your best friend here???? PVC can do ok, if its treated with something like dynamat.

A centre divider is a good addition.

I like your idea, if my yammering on isn't any indication :rolleyes:.

A long subwoofer should be mandatory.

You primarily need only a two-channel amp with power supply and a source (bluetooth module).

The linkwitz transform can be look at as a type of equalizer cirquit to give much better bass. This can be handled by proper playback software in the source. A minidsp or similar is a better way of doing it, but the cheapest kit is $80, and software can do the trick.

Johan-Kr

Hey,
I'm way too inexperienced to actually pick the parts..
Would you be willing to piece together a list for parts?
Over all price 300€but appreciated if takes less.
I can pay you D: xD

-HcB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.