What to do with Tang Band W4-1320 bamboo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Now if I could just make some noise in the workshop. Damn baby, lol

Hmm, if you literally mean a [newborn] baby, then from long experience of mine and others, then the sooner the better WRT developing truly healthy sleeping habits is to subject them to your lifestyle as soon as they come home, though of course shouldn't be subjected to damaging SPLs without hearing protectors like so many parents do at large open air concerts.

After all, it's only been in my lifetime that self important folks out to make a 'name'/living wage writing books that this has changed to folks making as little noise as practical.

GM

I made a BIB with them. Wasn't sure they would be appropriate for that kind of alignment but after listening I thought they sounded real nice.

Cool!

All point source drivers are suitable for some form of simple 1/2 WL pipehorn [BIB] loading, though of course outside a vented cab's Qt limits one may need to adjust the Fs and/or Qts inputs as required to make it fit the max acceptable HWD dims.

GM

Hmm, if you literally mean a [newborn] baby, then from long experience of mine and others, then the sooner the better WRT developing truly healthy sleeping habits is to subject them to your lifestyle as soon as they come home, though of course shouldn't be subjected to damaging SPLs without hearing protectors like so many parents do at large open air concerts.

After all, it's only been in my lifetime that self important folks out to make a 'name'/living wage writing books that this has changed to folks making as little noise as practical.

GM

Well indefinitely make noise, but it's an older house and I'd basically be running a 3hp saw under her crib so. She's getting the noise sleep treatment at daycare. We had some sleep/acid reflux issues initially and now that she is starting to sleep before 11:00 I don't wanna jinx it

Yeah, the house we were in was built in the '20s with no insulation and my 'shop' was in the spare bedroom, so Raquel got plenty of power tool and 5 HP compressor noise from the get-go along with the big Altecs pumping out all 17+ mins. of Iron Butterfly's In a gadda da vida and similar when I was babysitting. :D Because we were the only ones with powerful speakers and fairly large rooms, our place was 'Party Central' for many years. No hearing damage apparently, she still has bat hearing.

Bummer about the reflux, we went through this too as well as some other parents, so we all sloped the cribs and put a pillow at the 'foot' to cushion them. 49+ yrs later, can't remember the slope angle though. :(

GM

Yeah, the house we were in was built in the '20s with no insulation and my 'shop' was in the spare bedroom, so Raquel got plenty of power tool and 5 HP compressor noise from the get-go along with the big Altecs pumping out all 17+ mins. of Iron Butterfly's In a gadda da vida and similar when I was babysitting. :D Because we were the only ones with powerful speakers and fairly large rooms, our place was 'Party Central' for many years. No hearing damage apparently, she still has bat hearing.

Bummer about the reflux, we went through this too as well as some other parents, so we all sloped the cribs and put a pillow at the 'foot' to cushion them. 49+ yrs later, can't remember the slope angle though. :(

GM

They sell a wedge now lol

By the way can anyone point me to a good source for info on super tweeters. Not for my speakers but someone mentioned it so I was curious. I really have had trouble finding much info. I see the fostex kind then the Pyle kind and all the specs, seems like a concert thing to me but idk. I thought in car audio back in high school Pyle was junk?

Hmm, don't recall any source other than the various retailers of Vifa, Morel, Fostex, etc..

Yeah, there's plenty of so-so to pure junk out there. I used piezos a lot back when they were made by Motorola, though except for a few relatively expensive prosound ones, none for HIFI nowadays unless used strictly for top end 'air'.

GM

Attachments

• IMG_1652.PNG
    IMG_1652.PNG
    531.3 KB · Views: 283
I wonder what build the OP ended-up going for, maybe he'll chime in?

In any case, I've build a DCR, dual-chamber reflex, for my pair several years ago. Similar to the Bandit, but I've made mine a bit larger, for stand-alone listening. I've measured and find the W4-1320SIF to be flat and extended to 20kHz on-axis, so not really "dark" as some say, as long as you are in the sweet-spot. Otherwise, the HF response does seem to fall-off sharply when moving off-axis, so one might say it has a dark power response. A helper tweeter above 10kHz might be a good idea for HT application, unless it's a single-seat setup.

350593d1369436958-tb-w4-1320sif-double-bass-reflex-dscn1999-jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.