What to do with Tang Band W4-1320 bamboo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought some of these drivers and once again I am having trouble finding the right combination of speakers to build. It seems I have a habit of buying a speaker then realizing most the project links for that speaker are very old and often broken.

So far I've found
The Tabaq - can get details
Tabaq center - various options
Bandits - links and instructions are fine

I was hoping to put together a 5.1 set of speakers based off these but I'm having trouble finding enough plans that make sense in a set (that I know of).
Would a set of bandits pair well with a set of singularity? Tabaq for a center? I know full range HTs elicit mixed feelings. I mostly play music or tv on 2.1 or stereo and had thoughts of building the singularity. Thought it would be nice to round out the set with some inexpensive diy options. The W4 is on pretty deep discount so I bought 3. Thanks for any ideas or suggestions

GM

Joined 2003
Hmm, just a quick look-see in HR indicates the TABAQ will work if a > 120 Hz/2nd order high pass is used, so if the subs are < ~344/120 = ~2.87 m and ideally < 344/4/120 = ~0.72 m, then in theory they will be able to handle the full 50 W peak power rating [~105 dB/m].

GM

https://speakerprojects.wordpress.com/2015/04/27/tangband-1320-projects/

I don't remember the size of the box (somewhere between .25 and .5cf?). This is a nice sounding driver with a darker sound (rolled treble - regardless what the manufacturers charts show). It goes pretty low for a driver this size. It could be used on its own as a dull sounding full ranger or you can add a tweeter to get additional detail. Add a sub and call it a three way using a wide-range driver. That's what I'd recommend for best sound.

You could probably get away with some smallish ported boxes tuned around 100Hz and let the sub do the heavy lifting. No need for anything designed with lots of LF gain (ie, big), since most subs will comfortably out-perform a few FR drivers at the low-end.

Keep the cabs small and WAF goes up, too.

Chris

Tweeter could be added with just a single cap for XO, nothing fancy. Something like a 2uf cap to bring it down around 10kHz.

With a sealed box, it should be good to about 170Hz. For design? Well, it's a sealed box, so come up with something you like in the volume range GM suggested.

Only your woodworking skills will be the limit.

https://speakerprojects.wordpress.com/2015/04/27/tangband-1320-projects/

I don't remember the size of the box (somewhere between .25 and .5cf?). This is a nice sounding driver with a darker sound (rolled treble - regardless what the manufacturers charts show). It goes pretty low for a driver this size. It could be used on its own as a dull sounding full ranger or you can add a tweeter to get additional detail. Add a sub and call it a three way using a wide-range driver. That's what I'd recommend for best sound.

Previously I posted a plan that included a tang band neo 6.5 sub. Caught hell for it. Admittedly it was executed in a more eccentric style and did lack the tweeter. (3" w3 instead). That was on tech talk though I believe.

So what about combinations of peerless BC25SC06-04 tweeters, TB W3-1364sa 10k> and TB W4-1720 capped at like 300-400? In the fronts and center I would use 2 of each speaker and pad the tweeters in the surrounds. Should I find an 8 ohm tweeter? I'm suspecting I can cross the tweeter pretty high, shouldn't the reduced range of each speaker make for a pretty forgiving combination?

If a sealed box is rolling off at 170Hz, you're going to need to go ported unless you've got dual stereo subs to cover 170Hz down.

A ported box would get you to 100Hz easily, meaning you'll only need one sub, and it can be pretty much anywhere in the room.

Chris

Well even with the mini subs in the towers I had intentions of adding subs. Regardless, I have a 6 channel amp that's basically no longer viable imo. Bridgeable to 3 channels. Should I focus on 3 small subs like a TB 6.5? I have good room for one center sub in the front semi built in (very solid entertainment center, 1 3/4 butcher with veneer) and two wall hugging units in the rear.

So, let me get this straight...

You will have a movie and music room, with only L/C/R plus subs, but no surrounds?

Why not? I'd keep the 6-channel amp, hang a couple of surrounds on the wall, split the sub output and put two of at least 10" driver subs... but I forgot... did you mention the size of the room? Even so... you won't get far with 6.5" subs...

No sorry I wasn't clear. Current receivers don't have preouts until you reach a 500$+ model with 105 RMS per channel. So basically wtf is the point of a 6 channel 125 RMS stand alone amp? So bridged that leaves me 3 channels 300 RMS to play with subs. It's a bigger room. I was thinking 10-12 sub in the front thin subs in the back against the wall. The 2 in the rear would be lowest priority out of everything I'm building. Ordered 2 more w4.

Last edited:
Custom parts express card baffle.

Attachments

• IMG_1637.jpg
    IMG_1637.jpg
    940.6 KB · Views: 448
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.