New SB Acoustics 6.5" Satori- Possible FR Use!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not sure the Xmax is the same as the MW versions
Cone profile is fairly deep on the Satori's, so will be more directive at high frequencies than say an Alpair 12P
Brilliant wideband midrange tho! Are these available in white, like the rest of the Satori's?

Last edited:
Some LF modeling in Win ISD

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Ported:
1 Cu ft @ 35hz = -3dB @ 40hz
1.5 Cu ft @ 25hz = -6dB @ 30hz

Sealed:
.25 Cu ft @ Qtc ~ .707 = -3dB @ 90hz

That's prett impressive bass for a full ranger isn't it? I wonder if it would do even better in a spiral horn. My W5 does very good in one but I don't think it's that good and it's fs is 60. Really nice looking speaker too.

It's a $148 at Madisound, somebody buy a couple and build a great full range speaker out of it. That's not to much to spend for a speaker, not counting the wood and stuff. If there was just one speaker I had to listen to it would be my W5 in the horn, but I bet this could best it in the low end. Come on someone, it's too pretty to pass up. Isn't 5 to 6 inches about ideal for the do it all fullranger? And talk about a good motor. Le of .11mh.

I'm broke at the moment, but plan on buying a set of these in the future. I also plan on buying a calibrated microphone, so i'll post FR plots. Don't hold your breath though, this is probably a few months away!

The version Madisound has is the older MW16P, where as the newer version is the MR16P. Hopefully Madisound will have them available in the future, although Solen already has them in stock. ~$168 USD with todays exchange rates.

MR16P-4 - Solen Électronique Inc.

Some LF modeling in Win ISD

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Ported:
1 Cu ft @ 35hz = -3dB @ 40hz
1.5 Cu ft @ 25hz = -6dB @ 30hz

Sealed:
.25 Cu ft @ Qtc ~ .707 = -3dB @ 90hz

F3 anechoic is around 200hz according to the graph you posted unless the user intends to crush the efficiency with 10db of BSC.

It is intended as a midrange driver and a pretty nice one at that. I certainly wouldn't use it as a woofer or full range though.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
That's prett impressive bass for a full ranger isn't it? I wonder if it would do even better in a spiral horn. My W5 does very good in one but I don't think it's that good and it's fs is 60. Really nice looking speaker too.

It's listed as a midrange. Falls off steeply after 14kHz but can work well enough as a full ranger. Beaming will be an issue so off axis will be a problem. Very impressive sensitivity and bass and exceptionally smooth frequency response. Could this driver teach a Lowther a thing or two? :)

As a mid can be used for exceptional results in a 2 way with a ribbon above 3.5kHz.

Could this driver teach a Lowther a thing or two? :)

Speaking as a fan of the Satori drivers, and in all seriousness: no. Lowther are to an extent prisoners of their own history. The drivers were originally designed for uses other than what they have generally received since ~1970, or earlier. But they're locked into many aspects of the cones & suspension and general direct radiator response trends that they can't really get away from, even if they wanted to, as that's what their buyers expect (and often want). Most of them wouldn't look twice at a Satori, or any other driver that does not share the characteristics of a Lowther unit.

It's listed as a midrange. Falls off steeply after 14kHz but can work well enough as a full ranger. Beaming will be an issue so off axis will be a problem. Very impressive sensitivity and bass and exceptionally smooth frequency response. Could this driver teach a Lowther a thing or two? :)

As a mid can be used for exceptional results in a 2 way with a ribbon above 3.5kHz.

So you're telling me (us) there's a chance! If not for the elusive 20-20k maybe 30-15k. Nobody could do it any better than you. Hing hint.

Scott - I can't recall a more concise and almost apologetic summary of Lowther drivers. Indeed, contrary to what folks some believe, there have been substantial improvements during the past 80+yrs in not only the narrower field of all aspects of "Rice-Kellogg" driver design, but our understanding of acoustics as well as the capabilities of electronics within the entire end to end chain of capturing / recording and replaying audio and visual information.

Fs 31hz, ok maybe

but only 37cc of displacement possible... Not to mention the bumpy natural FR from 3khz and the dive from 13khz.

Looks to me like another woofmid with tons of compromises... Jack of all trades, master of none.

Well it's a 6.5" driver going through controlled breakup (beyond 3kHz) which is why the frequency response is less than perfectly flat. All wideband drivers work on a similar principle.

SB have not designed this unit to be used up anywhere near this high though, but what they've managed to accomplish with the cone is pretty impressive... They are probably thinking that most will cross 2-3kHz and probably closer to 2 if the other technical parameters of the finished loudspeaker are not to be compromised.

This was supposed to be SBs answer to a Satori midrange driver and it's a bit of a let down. All they appear to have done is take their original MW line, shorten the voice coils and be done with it. This gives the drivers increased sensitivity, but doesn't try and optimise anything else other than that.

The original Satori line suffer from a cone/edge surround resonance between 1-2kHz. Most were hoping that SB would optimise the surround. As a midrange requires far less excursion, this would have allowed them to use a much narrower surround, or possibly a flat surround instead. This would hopefully have allowed them to optimise the performance and eliminate (or reduce) the resonance. Others were hoping for an all under-hung motor, which would have been nice too, but considering the performance level of the Satori motor is largely unnecessary.

The original Satori drivers were a compromise. Just like every other mid/bass out there, they have things that they cannot do, but what they did do, they did extremely well. The midrange variants should have tried to eliminate some of these compromises but they didn't.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.