"Wall-integrated" corner loaded line array with Vifa TC9 drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you have a 7.2 AVR you should be able to construct a signal in Jriver that splits it to the channels you want.
If you play a movie the signal would contain all separate streams too, and not let the AVR decide how to split it, right?

The only problem I see is that HDMI might be limited to 8 channels.
HDMI as carrier for multi-channel audio for active speakers

Though it might be possible to support 7.1 on HDMI, so you could send a clean summed mono to that .1 channel that gets crossed and split by your AVR.
That way you can control the mains with FIR and the subs can be somewhat controlled as a pair and still benefit from FIR processing.
Blog - 10.1 Things You Should Know About HDMI | Axiom Audio

If you have a 7.2 AVR you should be able to construct a signal in Jriver that splits it to the channels you want.
If you play a movie the signal would contain all separate streams too, and not let the AVR decide how to split it, right?

This may be true. It treats the sub channels differently based on what you determine to be your speaker size. If you say they're small, then it sums lower freq with the LFE signal. I believe if you say they're large, it may not do that at all in which case I could FIR the channels separately. The problem is, my surround channels ARE small so it may be good to have the AVR route lower freq to the subs.

I'll have to do some more digging on this. And perhaps just try a few different methods to see what works best.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Most AVR, even when the mains are set to large, will cut them at 40Hz, and send the rest to the LFE channel.

The surrounds are usually cut at 60 to 80Hz.

Your best bet, using the equipment you have, would be to let the AVR do the XO between the mains and subs, record a sweep like that, and apply the DRC to the whole signal.

The only way you will be able to control each channels separately will be to get a multichannel DAC and a multichannel amp.

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a discontinued product that gives me a remarkable USB DAC for stereo, a 5.1 decoding using a good multichannel DAC, and an extra 2 channels of summed up left and right channels. I often use the R/L summed channels for extra subs around the room. They can also be used to bi-amp the mains. Pretty cool unit, but since it is now discontinued, I can't recommend it.

SPL and phase from the first cut. The whole house shook with the subs cranking at the low levels.

Attachments

• 2018 02 12 spl and phase.jpg
    2018 02 12 spl and phase.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 420
Old thread, but just a minor update. The Behringer inuke 3000 driving my subs died on the left channel. It’s about 4 years old now and out of warranty. I’m going to “upgrade” it with the EP4000 which has been around forever and hopefully will last longer.

Is it worth trying to repair the inuke? Not sure if there are common failure modes to look for that are repairable?

The inuke series was disappointing. Build quality and ultimately reliability certainly wasn’t what I was hoping for. The older ep series has gotten better reviews but I’m open to ideas. I’d even diy one if there’s a good option for this application.

Do you have any specific recommendations?

Behringer has this reputation in the pro world....

Cheap stuff that is great... for a short while... things have a tendency to break just outside of warranty period, but not much outside!

I believe Crown is a notch above and could be a worthy replacement.

There has been a slew of DIY amps showing up lately. Some swear by them, but there are no guarantees.

I had a contact for a NuPrime amp, and it has been working very well for me.

But, don't push away the good old stuff.
I have an old Bryston 3B in my hometown I would love to bring to my house. That thing had grunt. Not the most clinical amp, but for shear power, it was a beast! It had meat on the sound!

Clinical? I had an Audiolab 8000 amp. That was so sharp and detailed... sometimes, it was too much, but paired with warm sounding speakers, it was an amazing match.

Cambridge Audio and old NAD were a middle ground. No heavy grunt, and not overly detailed, but good and decent sound.

So, plenty of options out there, from the new and DIY, to the good old stuff.

You can probably find some good old amps for a song, and some new DIY goodies for a fraction of the commercial pricing.

For a sub amp, I’m prioritizing power per dollar over detail/musicality.

Maybe I don’t need that much power? It seems that headroom is important to drive large 18” subs for home theater .1 effects though. I know many folks in the infinite baffle sub world have had success with the ep 4000 and I haven’t found any better options that have that amount of power at that price. I did look at the Crown stuff. They seemed pretty similar to Behringer based on my reading but maybe that’s not reality?

If Behringer could up their quality control, it would be really nice, but then again, they might not be able to offer these attractive prices!

There are pages and pages of reports concerning pretty much all of their products, mostly failing within 2 years.

But even buying from what looked like a better company, I got the shaft.
I got burned by Presonus a while back. with an I/O that looked amazing.

It was flawed from the beginning, but they kept telling people they had a fix coming.... and we waited, and waited... then finally... nothing. They came out with a dummy driver that did 1/4 of what the unit was supposed to do, and put the unit on the discontinued products list. When we asked for a refund or exchanged, they said it was past the warranty period, look, it's on the discontinued products list... nothing we can do about it, goodbye!

Needless to say, I will not buy a Presonus product ever again, even if it has a good track record and good ratings online...

So, my advice is to stay away from Behringer, ... and Presonus! :)

I'd say it's a mistake to dismiss Behringer as cheap unreliable gear.
Sure , they've had particular models proves less than reliable, with revamped products introduced to replace them.
But they are one of the only companies around that never retires a model that proves to work well.
And they introduce a boatload of different product lines and models continually. Astounding really.

Alot of the pro-community angst against Behringer dates back to when Uli was known to be copying others designs...and then selling the clones at a much lower price point.
So alot of talk that Behringer is cheap junk continually flew around.

The x-32 mixer family has helped erase most of that stored up historical negativity.
It is probably the most successful product introduction in prosound history, with over 700,000 units sold globally. And with a great reliability track record.
It has to be well over a million units sold if you add in stageboxes, and the subsequent Midas M-32 mixer family (slightly upgraded X-32's for those who couldn't stand the B-word lol)).

As far as reliable amps go, frankly I pass on both Behringer and recent Crown amps...i think they are about equal in terms of reliability.
But that's just my take from about 5 years of heavy observation.
I'm personally drawn to QSC for amp reliability.

Bottom line imo,........with most all non-niche companies, it's product line by product line, model by model, in terms or assessing reliability, quality, and value.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.