"Wall-integrated" corner loaded line array with Vifa TC9 drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not into anime really actually. That's one of my friend's activity feeds.

DRC is not integrated with the Playstation unfortunately. I have the XMC-1 running PEQ from REW and that's it. I tried the Dirac product that comes with XMC-1 and wasn't impressed. Could be user error though so I'm going to try it again once I get the room treatments up.

I basically use the NUC for music listening through JRiver and the PS3 for movies. I could use the NUC for movies too, but I still have to figure out the audio/video sync.

Had 13 20x30 canvas photos printed at Costco. Stuffed above 2” of Roxul behind each one and here we are. Seems to be pretty good as far as the clap test goes. Probably could use some more at the French door so I may make a temporary one that I can move when as needed. Otherwise, it’s done for now until I get the wet bar behind the couch built.

Attachments

• 751C59AA-677D-4E17-88E5-C86E1EC9360B.jpg
    751C59AA-677D-4E17-88E5-C86E1EC9360B.jpg
    611.9 KB · Views: 359
  • CC770113-AC3C-4D4D-9846-C9FFD127EFFB.jpg
    CC770113-AC3C-4D4D-9846-C9FFD127EFFB.jpg
    674.8 KB · Views: 351
Quick question... I'm about ready to rerun my DRC designer stuff. At the moment, I have my AVR running my subs (I think I set the crossover at 80 Hz, 24 dB/octave). Am I correct that I simply continue to allow that to happen and run DRC designer through it as I did when there were no subs? Also, should I leave my sub amp at the middle gain setting or crank it all the way up?

Run DRC on the arrays without a crossover set. Let it linearize the response and set a crossover filter on it after that. If the FR is flat from the arrays (after processing) the crossover will be closer to textbook.
Sub can be at 80 Hz low pass, arrays at same 24 dB/octave high pass after DRC. Check what you get would be my advice. See if it sums correctly.

You "could" add the high pass of the arrays in the target within DRC Designer, run a separate FIR filter on the sub channel to linearize the crossover (set it up with RePhase). The length and settings of the correction filters should be identical for that to work. If you create one with RePhase for the sub, it should be set to the variables used in DRC. In theory you could run DRC on the combined array plus sub if the AVR can cross the signals based on a stereo input.
So many options to do this... pick the one you can follow easily. I'd suggest the first option for a first try.

Can't give you an answer on the gain setting, a good gain structure is important. No way for us to guess what it is from a desk. Let the measurements tell you what you have.

Last edited:
To get an acoustically right high pass crossover on the array will take more than choosing a crossover setting in a DSP unit.
That crossover, between sub and array, cannot be compensated for by DRC if its result is less than optimal.
Ideally you would split the stereo into sub and mains signals before going out to the amps so you can correct the arrays and sub separately. This could both be done with DRC with the right target curves, or any other means.
That crossover from sub and array has to be accurate, acoustically. Not by using named crossover slopes. Like I said, measurements can get you there.
Don't assume, measure....

Last edited:
I think I follow what you mean conceptually. But practically, doesn’t that require something like a bi-amped setup? Technically, I suppose I am bi amped, but the crossover is not in my control other than the AVR setting. So I’m not connecting the dots on how I would implement with my configuration. Sorry,maybe I’m just being dense?

I have intel NUC through hdmi to AVR. For music I use direct stereo so the AVR doesn’t do any processing. I don’t turn the subs on either typically. For movies, I use the AVR with parametric EQ and it manages the subs too. Reason for this is I still can’t get lip sync to work with the NUC and J river.

Within Jriver you can adjust audio video sync in the video settings.
Does the hdmi offer something like 5.1 output? If it does you can split the channels yourself. That's what I do. As a container within Jriver I use stereo within 5.1 and split it up in Jriver with the channel mixer. I only use 4 outputs at the moment but have more available due to using a multi channel audio card (8 channels to play with).
The only problem I see is that AVR wants to put out one single sub channel? Or can you re-route other channels too?
If it is one mono out you could still determine what the AVR gets from within Jriver.
My preference would be to be able to control each sub separately. That would need two output channels from the AVR that get re-routed to the sub amps.

Last edited:
Using an AVR to split the sub channels to send them to something like the rear channels with a 5.1 AVR is not easy.

Most AVRs have their own XO for all channels, which you can control a little, but not that much.

For example, my rear channels would be limited to 40Hz by the AVR, and the lower end sent to the sub channel.

So, it wouldn't be possible to route the sub low end to the rear channels.

If the AVR is a 5.2, than that's easier using the .2 outputs to send that to the two powered subs.

Are the sub powered by something like plate amps? I forgot...

The only way to really control the levels separately and their curves is to use a real multichannel audio card. Something cheap like miniDSP UDAC-8, or something that has received praises from the audio world like the MOTU 8A.

Ok, so, the AVR is doing the XO for you. You need to use the .2 from the 7.2 to get the signal to the subs.

Do not try to send the sub to the rear channels of the AVR. That will not work.

Just setup JRiver to output (are you going optical out from the NUC?) 5.1 to the AVR, and let the AVR do the XO for you (which you'll have to setup, of course). It is not as flexible as Wesayso way, but it will get you sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.