Full Range speaker project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
sieniek I have built built a bob brines transmission with the 8" tang bang 1772 very nice, planet 10 fonken with the el70 beautiful to look at and sweet sounding, Manzanita open back not that pretty but great sounding, xrk971 spiral wall hanger really cool and fun to make There is no perfect speaker and room correction and placement is at least 50% of the sound find a good kit with a tried and true crossover and enjoy the ride

Rock on rock12! Totally agree there are lots of ways to get good sound. As DIYers we get to hear more types of speakers than most so we can find out for ourselves what we prefer. As long as we are dealing with quality parts and designs it's easy to enjoy the music. Heck, even crappy parts can allow us to enjoy too.

As a community we've really upped the bar over the past decade. Part of the process are the discussions we have, the math that's figured out, the projects we build the disagreements, discovery, etc. Everyone here is just curious as to why and how something sounds better. In the end we move the needle, set the bar and then set another standard to aim for.

I never thought I'd have such great sound in my home - and I can have it in many different configurations while understanding the compromises.

But the real question is... how the heck does that guy take that kick to the balls?!?

Back to the poor old OP, whose original request is getting lost in this.

You mention wanting a 'bigger' sound than the LS50. It is designed as a mini-monitor so may not be capable of the sound you require or it may need more power from the amplifier.

As a start, rather than building an 'unknown' I'd suggest trying the speaker with a much larger amp than the Creek. Try to borrow a pro amp capable of a couple of hundred watts. You'd be surprised at how early some amplifiers start to sound congested and 'restrained' as they approach clipping and it easy to blame this on the loudspeaker.

Some pro audio dealers will allow you take speakers along to their showroom and dem with amplifiers - you should have a few nearby in Leeds.

Thank you for your suggestions. I've heard that tube amp would be best with LS50. Can you suggest any ? Also will tube amp play louder and easier with LS50 even if it will be less wats than SS amp ?

Best Regards,

Rafael

Good suggestion Colin.
I reread carefuly the first post, and the question was if Kef LS50 can be replaced with fullrange with much better "bigger" sound. In my humble opinion, most likely not with 4" fullrange. And those suggestions calling for whatever 4" fullrange has actually been talking about FAST, which is technically a 2-way.
You may find some audio nirvana 8" to 15" fullrange, in big enclosure, to satisfy. But the box will be big. See here...
Fullrange Loudspeakers. DIY Loudspeakers. Loudspeaker kits. Audio Nirvana, Lowther, Fostex. Vacuum Tube Amplifiers For Sale

Or you can abandon the idea of one fullrange, and in that case sky is the limit. I personaly like fullrange only used as midrange, with good tweeter on top. But I am not forcing anybody else to accept this as best approach. I once build Betsy wow with Fountek ribbon. Very good sounding (and measuring) speaker. I friend of mine I gave it to is still sooo happy about it, since he had just a computer speakers before.
Recently I was putting together 12" coax, and the result is very "big" sound, as the speaker is 2x2 ft, and is 98 dB/w/m.

Perhaps you just need to add a sub to your Kef and see if you like the result. My experience is everytime you relieve the midbass from low frequencies, it performs better. (its logical, membrane just moves much less) Adding a sub could make sound "bigger", and the process is quite straightforward. Much easier than fullrange...

Happy New Year!
ed

Thank you for your input in this thread. Can you suggest any subwoofer for LS50 ? I almost bought REL T5 but at the end I thought that maybe I should buy something better. I've read a lot great things about Rythmik F12.

Can anyone suugest any good subwoofer for KEF LS50 ?

Best Regards,

Rafael

Just went back and read the original post. I'd suggest building a DIY subwoofer for the KEF and call it a day. A subwoofer will add a sense of scale to the sound. Best case they recreate the 'space' where the music was recorded. Your current bookshelf speakers are a highly regarded, point source design. I love DIY but wouldn't mind owning a pair of the KEFs.

If you want to try a DIY project here's a link to a few good powered subwoofers that might point you in the right direction. There are many others to consider.

Subwoofer System Kits in the Speaker Components Department at Parts Express | 287

I'm glad I read thru these threads. They've given me some food for thought about adding a subwoofer to my current speakers.

Thanks!
Godzilla

Thanks Godzilla, do you think I can build better subwoofer by diy than for example Rythmik F12 with servo technology ? The most important thing for me is a subwoofer which will be easy to blend and crossover and a subwoofer which will match perfectly that I couldn't even hear that there is playing any sub. And most importantly...a subwoofer which will be excellent for music where KEF LS50 are very fast. ??

Best Regards,

Rafael

It is a living room where I have my audio and it is open with kitchen...all together it is around 4,5 x 5 metres with open stairs for first floor.
If I can build something better or at least same quality as Rythmik F12 and less expensive then I would like to give it a chance. Do you have any favourite diy subwoofers ? Any which also have something similar like direct servo technology or Rel subwoofers to blend them perfectly with speakers ?

Best Regards,

Rafael

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.