markmck's Tang Band mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Unless I were to begin again with new modification designs for current models (six to 12 months life expectancy), there is no relevant information to be found in these very old posts.

Should I try again? If I did, then it would be up to the people trying to follow them to pick the modification design that goes with a precise model number.

For example, if I had kept up with the W3-881S changes, we would have possibly eight different modification designs for this one transducer.

I wish Tang Band had not changed their manufacturing processes. The design modifications I posted here produced easily measurable and audible improvements. This is a distinct contrast to the vast number of tweaks talked about seemingly endlessly that cannot be measured and can be only be described in self serving testimony.

Mark

"the vast number of tweaks talked about seemingly endlessly that cannot be measured and can be only be described in self serving testimony."

Amen to that...

And belated thanks to Mark for posting his original TB mods for this community, along with his test results and explanations for why they were effective. Even if they have no direct application to the currently available TB drivers, this and the other Tang Band modification threads have been very informative.

I too have heard that the changed last letter in the model designations simply indicates RoHS-compliance. There is also, for some drivers, variations for shielded/unshielded, and for trunctated or pincushion frames. I don't see why they would alter the cone, motor, suspension etc. without a change in the actual number in the model name, and I don't think they do that.

Lately they have changed the frame on many drivers but this does not affect anything else but the frame. The new frames are better and more ventilated, resulting in a bit less distorsion, but the overall response, parameters and dimensions are the same. There is a good thread on HTGuide about this.

I believe the wise course is to avoid assumptions. If, for example, a manufacturer's model number changes, it is best to test.

But does that driver even have breakup nodes?

Again, avoiding assumptions, it is best to test. I also want to avoid creating an infinite set condition, but every transducer I have tested suffers from diaphragm material vibration modes (sometimes called breakup or breakup nodes).

Mark

In the usual odd way things work, there is one more glue and plug mod for a Tang Band.

This time for the W5-704 (S) (D). It is not full range even after modification. I will, however, be supplying a two-way design where the W5-704 will handle all acoustical fundamentals. Tweeter will handle only overtones. Next best thing to full range.

Here is the location of the draft for the modification:

http://madspeaker.com/extras/704MOD.PDF

Mark

Thanks.

In light of the "enabl" people, I would like to say that what I do is both amazing and not amazing.

It is merely evolutionary in that we are still working with electrodynamic transducers. It is revolutionary in that for the first time it provides some control over performance (beyond T/S specifications).

It is also revolutionary in the Kuhnian sense because it is founded on new theories. In particular, the new theorizing brings advancec understanding of chaotic systems to loudspeaker transducer design. Beyond that, the particular applications are merely scientific method. In other words: good science.

Also, further announcements regarding the two-way (or 1.1 way, an extended range transducer plus "super" tweeter) will be made at the following thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=96352&goto=newpost

Mark

Thanks for the advice Sreten. I was already writing this post when your reply came in.

Old news, but I'm interested i mods for the W4-654S driver. I have a few I want to use in some wooden bowl speakers.
I have the first part of the mods originally posted on this thread (4 v-cuts sealed with polyurethane molding compound). Is there a reasonable substitute for the hard Por-A-Mold compound ? Minimum buy quantities are prohibitive, especially as the stuff starts to deteriorate as soon as you open the can.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.