New Fullranger Alert! Tang Band 3" & 4" - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2015, 07:56 AM   #1
Xaborus is offline Xaborus  United States
diyAudio Member

Exclamation New Fullranger Alert! Tang Band 3" & 4"

Tang Band W3-2141 3"

Tang Band W4-2142 4"

Highlights: Paper, Underhung motor, Shorting ring, Good Xmax, Cast Frame, Low Fs, Kapton and Santoprene

Hopefully they sound as good as there construction and specs suggest!
Old 28th June 2015, 10:09 AM   #2
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Weird that they are so close. But nice to have the choice.

On further inspection, this is looks like some very nice drivers. Solid cast frame, paper plus phaseplug, nice balance of T/S parameters and what looks like a well thought out surround.

Looking forward to impressions. If I don't go for a pair myself beforehand.

Last edited by Squeak; 28th June 2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 28th June 2015, 11:20 AM   #3
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice candidates for the Round 3 Subjective Comparison tests
Old 28th June 2015, 02:10 PM   #4
TMM is offline TMM  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to TMM
Looks interesting, cone looks like it might be borrowed from the W3-1878. The only W3 ferrite that i've tested is the W3-315E and the motor on that was terrible. Let's hope this one is a little better.
Old 28th June 2015, 03:06 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'll have to ask my local contact for a pair!
Old 28th June 2015, 05:15 PM   #6
borispm is offline borispm  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to borispm
Quote:
Originally Posted by perceval View Post
I'll have to ask my local contact for a pair!
Looks interesting, weird phase plug & suspension though - wonder if those blunt plugs are as good as the pointy ones in terms of high frequency dispersion? Keep us updated about them when you get yours!

Oh, by the way, perceval, have you tried the TB flat cone 3" or 4"? Those are interesting looking as well but the price bars me from trying them.
Old 28th June 2015, 06:02 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

All those flat cones are mini subs, right?

No, I didn't try and did not intend to, either. A 3" mini sub will not work for me.
Old 28th June 2015, 11:32 PM   #8
borispm is offline borispm  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to borispm
Quote:
Originally Posted by perceval View Post
All those flat cones are mini subs, right?

No, I didn't try and did not intend to, either. A 3" mini sub will not work for me.
Hi mate, not only the mini subs but also the aluminium honeycomb flat cones, I think the model number is W3-1797S. Those seem to be midrange drivers but TB has been marketed them as fullrange. Wonder if they sound thin or what
Old 29th June 2015, 01:50 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I see.

A bit more expensive, and the very few reviews mention they have to be hipassed pretty high.
Old 29th June 2015, 07:04 AM   #10
TMM is offline TMM  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to TMM
All the normal (non-'subwoofer') W3 drivers won't provide much output below about 130Hz. If you need them to play louder e.g. 90dB @ 1metre then you really need to cross them to a larger woofer at 200-300Hz to avoid bulk distortion.

I use the W3-1878 as fullrange computer speakers with a +12dB shelf added below 100Hz and that is quite listenable. The bass turns into mud if they are turned up past ~80dB @ 1metre. Previously I used the W3-1364SA and I couldn't get away with the bass shelf with those - audible distortion set in at a much lower level. I crossed those to an 8" subwoofer at 130Hz which worked well.

I wonder if the frequency response of the W3-1797S is as smooth as TB's datasheet makes it out to be. It shows the same hiccups in the impedance plot as it's larger brother the W4-1757S, which has serious frequency response issues corresponding to the impedance hiccups. The W4 is a nice driver otherwise, so if the W3 really doesn't have any major cone resonance issues it could be a winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borispm View Post
wonder if those blunt plugs are as good as the pointy ones in terms of high frequency dispersion?
The blunt one technically isn't even a phase plug because it doesn't block any part of the cone from any listening angle. Either way, my experience is that the cone breakup modes have a far greater influence on HF dispersion than using a phase plug does. The phase plugs typically installed on cone speakers are far too small and they would only work effectively below breakup anyway, where HF dispersion is already a non-issue on such a small driver. They bring other advantages though, such as avoiding the air cavity effect that you get from installing a dust cap.

Last edited by TMM; 29th June 2015 at 07:26 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!