New Fullranger Alert! Tang Band 3" & 4"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Best way to break them is is to do it free air with the drivers out of phase. That way they won't bother you as much. I usually do it for about a week.
I believe you will notice a difference. You'll also notice a difference, maybe more, when the drivers are warm vs. cold. Air temperature and run in.
I wonder if Tang Band does their measurements in 30ºC rooms.

I bought 2x W3-2141 and measured the impedance curve. The resonance frequency is around 100Hz instead of 75Hz on the spec. I understand there is tolerance up to 10 ~ 15%. But this is too far off I think. Anyone got similar results?

I got a similar reading with my W3-2141s when new. I didn't re-measure after break-in and mounted them in the enclosures I built for them. I agree with what was mentioned above. You need to run the drivers for some time before you make another measurement. I gave my drivers more than 200 hours break-in time.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, greetings from Czech Republic
This question be directed not only to IRONHAND54, who built a new modified Tabaqs with TB W3-2141, but I'd like to ask you all for help and advice on the construction of Tabaq.
Furthermore, I must apologize for my English - not very good, so I use the automatic translator. 
I would like to build three pairs Tabaqs (one for me and two for my sons). For myself considering using TB W3-2141, but the sons of considering something cheaper. For example, TB W3-315SE, or similar, but very cheap Monacor.
I do not know if I understand correctly resizing modified Tabaqs for TB W3-2141, so I'd rather he drew two variants: modifications A and B modifications, link here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1ShGdioEO-mYkhMU1NKYnppU2M
1. Can you please confirm the correct option?

2. Can I use the modified Tabaq also for TB W3-315SE or one of Monacor drivers below?
Monacor SPX-30M here: https://www.monacor.com/en-gb/monac...technology/hi-fi-full-range-speakers/spx-30m/
respectively Monacor SPX-31M here: https://www.monacor.com/en-gb/monac...technology/hi-fi-full-range-speakers/spx-31m/
3. Will be remainds the crossover same for all variants (3,9Ω resistor, inductor 1mH)? How much mm² is wire cross-section for coil?
4. May be the side wall enclosure moved about 4mm forward? If so, may they have a sharp corner like the right corner on the picture, or they must have a radius as the left corner in this picture here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1ShGdioEO-mbjFzQ0lhVnBxbGc

Thank you very much everyone for advice and help
Bye Pavel

Hi Pavel - TABAQ for 3 inch drivers

Hi Pavel, I have enclosed the latest update on TABAQ. There was a typo in one of the internal measurements, which has now been corrected. Sorry if this has been confusing, It was a wrong distance from driver to open end.

For the 3 inch, you could adjust the port as shown. The bottom right corner is just a piece of wood or similar to make the L shaped port.

Please note that it is only the port and driver placement that has changed since the original TABAQ. The port adjustments is for 3 inch drivers only.

4 inch drivers, however, could use some ekstra volume - which I have described in a separate document. 4 inch drivers could use the original TABAQ, just with the altered driver placement.

The baffle step circuit is dictated very much by the cabinet and is 3.9 ohm and 1.0 mH. Some people prefer 6.8 ohm or a coil of 0.7 mH. If you want to use the circuit or not is a matter of taste and your listening room. The copper in the coil should be as thick as possible. Even though I have used relatively thin copper 0.7 mm with no problem.

You should avoid any edges on the baffle (the front).

TB W3-315SE will do very good in TABAQ. About any 3 inch could be used as long as the Fs is 100 Hz max and Qts is 0.5 or higher.

SPX-30M will work very good.

Hope this helps !

Regards
Bjørn

Attachments

• TABAQ UPDATE.pdf
    273.9 KB · Views: 339
Pavel Znamenacek, as to the TABAQ's with the TB W3-2141, I wanted to tell you that I purchased a restored SANSUI 4000 Receiver for my brother whom I built these speakers for a Christmas Gift. I took it down to him today and hooked up the speakers to the SANSUI, and both of us were astounded by the sound! We listened to a "Blues" channel for about two hours, and we just could not believe our ears. I think it was a match made with modern speakers, and vintage equipment (CIRCA 1972) that really brought them to a new level.

Happy Listen My Friend,

Mac:)

Thanks very much everyone for your answers and help. I am afraid that I will soon have many questions for you and I'm sorry that I'm going to ask you for some things more than once. Unfortunately, English is not my cup of tea and Google translator sometimes has a sense of humor. For example, last made the translation "coil" as a "contraceptive device".:) So please a little indulgence for my mistakes.:)

Thanks so much and bye to everone

Pavel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.