A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

Has anyone tried folding one of these into a long cone shape to get some horn loading and resonance going on? Would seem to be ideal in a number of ways.

the main advantage of DML is the even directivity at about all frequencies, if we shape a panel in horn-like design, this quality will be lost...

WesternElectric allready did horns with multiple resonances, WE22&WE16, with great sucess!

POL

from my experience, if you do not aim at high frequencies, you can take a wood panel heavier (& thicker) than normal, and with one (or more) strong motor you could get quite a nice low range.

POL

What sort of speaker should I use as a motor in that case? How big would it need to be?

Has anyone tried folding one of these into a long cone shape to get some horn loading and resonance going on? Would seem to be ideal in a number of ways.

Increasing the surface area of the 'panel' by using different shapes and/or folds sounds interesting as well, but my concern would be if any drastic changes in the surface itself would affect the panel's ability to support certain frequencies.

Could a cylindrical design save space?

What sort of speaker should I use as a motor in that case? How big would it need to be?

My panel are 2.15m , 7 feet, I would not go smaller...

maybe take a look at parts-express, but I did'nt try those exciters by myself
DAEX32Q-8 Dual Steel Spring Balanced 32mm Exciter 40W 8 Ohm
DAEX32QMB-4 Quad Feet Mega Bass 32mm Exciter 40W 4 Ohm
DAEX32EP-4 Thruster 32mm Exciter 40W 4 Ohm
DAEX32U-4 Ultra 32mm 40W 4 Ohm

POL

Reactions: 1 user
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
My panel are 2.15m , 7 feet, I would not go smaller...

maybe take a look at parts-express, but I did'nt try those exciters by myself
DAEX32Q-8 Dual Steel Spring Balanced 32mm Exciter 40W 8 Ohm
DAEX32QMB-4 Quad Feet Mega Bass 32mm Exciter 40W 4 Ohm
DAEX32EP-4 Thruster 32mm Exciter 40W 4 Ohm
DAEX32U-4 Ultra 32mm 40W 4 Ohm

POL

Good to see this thread get revived in past few days. Pol_bct, do you have some photos of your setup?

Good to see this thread get revived in past few days. Pol_bct, do you have some photos of your setup?

was a previous try, I'm waiting for new panels, bigger , better, bader...

as usual by me, it's a three panels config:
left hi-mid, center lo-mid, right hi-mid.
(search my others posts)

POL

Attachments

• IMG_20160401_150946_e.jpg
    IMG_20160401_150946_e.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 875
That's an interesting point X! However, I was looking at one of the drivers I'd use in a normal 'Bass cab', and the acoustic power comes to something around the 125dB SPL mark. I would probably need a lot of tactile transducers for that! Not that I ever get anywhere near that level of output, mind you, considering that that's 250W being fed into that speaker :)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You are looking at pro audio SPL. I doubt a DML can ever get close to that. You want a K15 with a pro audio 15in driver that is 99dB sensitive. That will do your bass guitar.

This driver will probably work in a K15 or Karlsonator scaled up to 15in. Let me know if you are interested and I can run sim.

Eminence Kappa Pro-15A 15" Cast Frame Driver

Thanks for the offer X! I do have a good Pro Audio design that I can construct, but I appreciate your thoughts!

I suppose that a Pro Audio DML would be the goal in mind, but I'm guessing that it could be beyond the physical limits of certain materials 'flexing', and the motor would need to be 'hefty' at least!

Still, I like to look for a magic bullet ;)

I built two different DML one with 11"x 17" gator board and one with 1/4" 24"x48" underpayment plywood. I used the DAEX25VT-4 with both. I can say that the sound is lacking bass in missing something. It sounds like an unmounted car speaker in many ways. It is not full and playing all 4 sounds better just not full.
I do not think it is all missing bass. It is definitively efficient with not much power needed to drive them.

How long does it take to break in? How much difference does rounding corner make? Is there an exciter that sounds better? Whats the best way to attach speakers wires to the exciter?

Just discovered and slowly reading through these DML threads.. jeez!
Questions
Is the Dayton Ultra still the 'top cat' exciter?
Has anyone tried G-EPS ? Stiffer and a nice grey colour
Would two small panels (10 x 7 inches ea) make a good midrange? Wd use with tweet and bass unit

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Questions
Would two small panels (10 x 7 inches ea) make a good midrange? Wd use with tweet and bass unit

I am not expert on different DML drivers as I have only tried one, and made my own from an old woofer with perforated cone and contacted to foam core panel via hard mount.

It's fun and cheap to try different panels and different drivers though.

Questions

It has been attempted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6hGmyNImaI

Some other links.
Hanging Glass Speakers
Glass Speakers
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dml+loudspeaker

I had some idea a while ago to build a TIE fighter and make the "foils" the DMLs. The idea all sort of fell apart when I started concentrating on more "usual" speaker designs. Having done some more reading on DMLs now, I'm not too convinced that my original idea would work all that well.

Now you bring it up tweeters though, I guess a flush mounted dome tweeter in the middle of the panel would work :)

J.

Now you bring it up tweeters though, I guess a flush mounted dome tweeter in the middle of the panel would work :)

J.

Basically what I had in mind when writing this ;) an oval-ish shape with a horizontal split and the tweet along the split.
Now starting to think making a long thin panel with the tweeter above wd also be nice.
The beauty of DML speakers are the cabinet design possibilities, if you are prepared to get creative with panel materials and shapes

After having my interest in DMLs rekindled on another thread, I began to wonder if we know much about the frequency response of these panels at the extreme ends of the spectrum, which I define as below 100 Hz and above 10,000 Hz. Some have noted that larger panels give better bass response, but I have not encountered any generalizations in regard to high frequencies. Can anyone point me to references which show the measurements of DML panels? Some manufacturers claim extended highs but don't list the tolerance for their ratings so I don't know how much credence to give to their claims.

If I were to build a DML panel I would need to use it against a wall due to space restrictions. Should some kind of acoustic damping material be placed behind the speaker to limit that back-panel energy? And, is it best to terminate the edges of a DML in a stiff frame to limit the motion of those edges as well as provide mounting for the panel?

Thanks to all who can help me with these questions.

Just wonderful to see xrk971's experiments with 1/12 smoothing and harmonic distortion data. Great.

With all the "disruptive" talk - even advocacy - of resonances by DML advocates, I'm wondering about about something we never wonder too much about with cones on this website. That is, in looking at smoothed frequency traces, can we separate the Rocky Mountain profile of the room from the sheet? How much is the sheet ringing in multiple frequencies and is the FR actually hiding that racket?

I also had my curiosity stimulated by another recent thread. But we are talking about exciters that would be considered plain junk by those in the sub forum who favour $300 drivers with shorting rings and giant magnets, etc. And these are paired to sheets of stuff which - in other settings - would be considered deplorable acoustic properties.

That's not to complain about experimenting with these elements. More is better. Just wondering what happens when you want to DIY-build a high quality device resembling the $100,000 loudspeakers from Goebel?

Ben

Just wonderful to see xrk971's experiments with 1/12 smoothing and harmonic distortion data. Great.

With all the "disruptive" talk - even advocacy - of resonances by DML advocates, I'm wondering about about something we never wonder too much about with cones on this website. That is, in looking at smoothed frequency traces, can we separate the Rocky Mountain profile of the room from the sheet? How much is the sheet ringing in multiple frequencies and is the FR actually hiding that racket?

I also had my curiosity stimulated by another recent thread. But we are talking about exciters that would be considered plain junk by those in the sub forum who favour $300 drivers with shorting rings and giant magnets, etc. And these are paired to sheets of stuff which - in other settings - would be considered deplorable acoustic properties.

That's not to complain about experimenting with these elements. More is better. Just wondering what happens when you want to DIY-build a high quality device resembling the $100,000 loudspeakers from Goebel?

Ben
Ben the resonance of the panel is the point. It is not a racket. You need to find and read the NXT patents to appreciate what is happening here. Also consider that there are similar operational conditions in play in a full range driver. Pistonic behavior is possible only over a limited range in conventional cone drivers.

Sent from my x600 using Tapatalk