Rockin' the KaZba Dipole (K aperture Z-baffle Dipole)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
X and Freddi,

Thanks for your time with these drivers. I was trying to get a box design that would incorporate running these drivers in series, but were not an MTM style as I am not that enthused with the look of an MTM. There are some MTM designs out there that use these drivers in series, so I will make a set of these and use in my basement (ie: my lab). The next time I decide to buy drivers they will be a direct fit for the project and not a " I wonder if this will work" type of project even though it is wonderful to experiment and learn.

X, in the next while I am going to send you a PM outlining a few things I would like to try and get your opinions on them.

Thanks guys for all the help,

MM

11 liters sealed looks pretty good for two DC160 in series. If your amplifier has low output impedance and wiring losses low, then it could be converted to 3rd order with a 350uF series capacitor and a switch to short out the cap for comparisons. Group delay goes up with the cap.

Using the cap "boost", input impedance dips to around 8.2 ohms around 47Hz. Without that cap, Z peaks around 51.8 ohms around 75Hz.

MAkvh1z.png

Last edited:
I have a pair of RS 270-8 10-inch Daytons. Would they go ok ina KaZBa sub? Qts is 0.44. Xmax is 5.5mm.
Or should I be using the RSS265HO-44 subs instead? qts is similar but over twice the Xmax. The latter has Fs in the 20s, the former low 30s.
Cheers
Peter

Last edited:
Peter, wonder how the 270 would do in some sort of "Karlson"? - that might not go low but could have some punch.

Carl Neuser has used Scan Speak 10s with low fs. I'd assume the system would have to be tuned pretty low but don't have windows to make hornresp guesstimates.

When used wideband, a smoothing stub could help matters.

X- is there an XKi alignment for his RS270?

(I bet that would drop into a JBL L36)

I’d forgotten about that design. Not about the man behind it though.
I’d been thinking along the lines of a Karlson sub so this might be an excellent starting point, especially given its relative build simplicity.
Glad Freddi and you started the Karlson overview thread or I’d never have seen KaZBa design.
Cheers
P

Look at the little speaker in the center of this picture. It may date back 25 years (?)

Its a passive radiator klam sub built by Carl Neuser's son Wayne. I don't know the driver nor position of the driver as no details were given - it may even had fired up and through a slot but looks like could have been downwards firing and that's a passive radiator we see,

Maybe X can de-cypher this cabinet

It was used with four 10" Scan Speak per side in aperiodic boxes.

https://i.imgur.com/ySWw1oL.jpg

Last edited:
Oddly enough I have 10 and 15-inch PRs on hand here, both by Dayton.
In my job I used to travel to the US in the good old pre-Covid days so would order ahead from PE and get Dayton drivers sent to my hotel room.
I’d take over my trusty Ogio Motorcycle gear bag with me and throw them in that, circumventing freight charges which to New Zealand are horrific.
Smaller full range drivers aren’t such a size and weight freight issue.

would you guess the PR in that sub to be a 12" and its external width ~16"? Maybe a long excursion 10 inch driver ?

Here's a klam I made from one 4x8 sheet for an 18 0 sealed rear chamber- it didn't go low but was fun. Not practical as a sub.

A vented - passive radiator klam done specifically for say a 10 or 12" driver would be interesting

My 15 inch klam in a YouTube video sounds good without lining the front chamber - so its not impossible to have one play mids and highs

KHbigVj.jpg

The Clash, Adam and the Ants, Bow-Wow-Wow, ...: simple Rock!

Rockin' the KaZba Dipole (K aperture Z-baffle Dipole)

Here is an idea that I have been toying with for a dipole with really uniform dipole polar responses in the mid and higher frequency regions. Much of this was Freddi's inspiration ...

You had me at "Rock the KaZbah!"

I've been goin' thru a VinY "L" REviVal® and have been lovin':

The Clash, Adam and the Ants, Sex Pistols, Bow-Wow-Wow, ...: simple Rock ... from MY teenhood!

So ... is the speak directly related to the song or band; or was it just a cool speaker name?

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Although it’s been a while since I had mine working,
I do recall that it plays the Clash very well. Especially the namesake song from Combat Rock: “The Shareef don’t like it... Rockin’ the KaZba...” :)

I saw the Clash live at the US Festival ‘83 with 670,000 other people.

If we had that today, talk about a Mega Superspreader event :(

us-festival.jpg

US-Festival-1983-overhead-shot.jpg

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Look at the little speaker in the center of this picture. It may date back 25 years (?)

Its a passive radiator klam sub built by Carl Neuser's son Wayne. I don't know the driver nor position of the driver as no details were given - it may even had fired up and through a slot but looks like could have been downwards firing and that's a passive radiator we see,

Maybe X can de-cypher this cabinet

It was used with four 10" Scan Speak per side in aperiodic boxes.

https://i.imgur.com/ySWw1oL.jpg

That image is too blurry and small for me to make anything out. I am not sure where one puts a passive radiator on a Karlson? Facing backward outside the K aperture?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.