Twin Peaks - Impedance measurement advice needed!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've always used foam weatherstripping tape and screwed the second side panel on for any such tests.

if someone pays premium prices for baltic birch or expensive materials and doesn't want to see screw heads once it's finished is there a viable work around to clamping in order to test and make changes?
and if a box reacts to clamps that much is it inert enough to be considered a proper enclosure?

Fair point about the quality of face veneers, and to be honest, I was referring to my own experience with my first prototypes of a few different designs that are often made with cheaper "shop grade" BB, which if successful are post veneered, so the filled screw holes aren't a major issue.

However, when you see some of the posted photos, I'd be surprised if the total mass of the clamps wasn't a significant fraction of the weight of the enclosures themselves, which I'd imagine in combination with the torque required to seal the enclosure without adhesives or gaskets would change the tuning of enclosure panel resonant frequencies.

Of course, that's entirely intuition on my part, and in addition to possibly being wrong about that, we're probably not on the same page as to the larger question of how practical or desirable it is to attempt to fabricate an "inert" enclosure, or whether failure to meet a vague standard of "enough" renders a design as improper.

Thanks gents. I am indeed still running with clamps, and the redundant cavities are not filled yet.
Now I come to a dilemma - the quarter wave stub sounds interesting, but awkward to implement and tweak. I've had a look and it won't really fit into the cavity above the compression chamber. Also, I could be trying to fix something that might change once the cabinets are glued, but once they are glued it gets even harder to implement :(
I suppose the solution would be to screw both sides (they already have weatherstrip), stuff empty cavities and see where I am then.

Screw heads are not an issue as I will remove and fill once glued before veneering cabinets - the birch finish doesn't look all that great.

Last edited:
Yes, the qualify of face veneers on "BB" - particularly the Russian sourced 5x5s can vary quite significantly - one of the reasons I'd change a couple of years back to a US "domestic" 4x8 maple veneer faced multi-ply - the funny part is that according to the local distributor, the "platform core" is of "European" origin.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
My "mid-bass" problem is persisting though. After a lot of listening and experimentation with stuffing and room position, I haven't been able to tame a resonance which, on a lot of tracks is pretty intolerable and on one or two hoots horribly.

I finally got the mic out and fired up ARTA to see whether it could tell me anything (even though I can't get the speakers far enough from boundaries to do accurate measurements at those frequencies).

A combination of measuring, listening, EQing and reviewing of the Z plots tells me pretty conclusively that there's a resonance at 158Hz causing the problem. If I notch it out with an equalizer app (6dB down at centre, 1dB down at 100Hz/250Hz) it solves the problem and all the tracks I could try in one evening sounded superb.

It should be noted that midbass is technicly 40-80 Hz. Your resonance is at the defined boundary between upper bass and lower midrange

What I'm wondering now is: Can this be controlled/fixed mechanically or do I need to make a passive notch filter? The latter is less preferred as it seems like a sticking plaster rather than a fix.

At this frequency it is likely a box resonance of some sort. I would suspect a panel resonance or a leak somewhere.

Start out with a mechanics stethescope and listen to the panels (asmany as you can andallover the panel) with to see if you can locate it. A leak might be harder. Since you can't get at all the possible places it could be i hope you get lucky a filter is a band-aid.

dave

Hi

Sorry about the error in terminology - I didn't really know where the problem was lying at the time I wrote that.

I haven't yet invested in a stethescope, but with the cabinets screwed rather than clamped things seem a lot better. Some of the larger, unsupported areas can be felt to be vibrating a bit though.

I suspect things will improve again once properly glued, but before I commit to that I'm just wondering whether a bit of stiffening in certain areas would be worthwhile.

The back I can reinforce with external bracing, but I'm wondering whether there's any reason not to add a couple of internal braces (1 and 2 as shown in the side and rear views attached), to give a bit of support to the top edge of panel J.

Cheers!

Chris

Attachments

• Dallas2withbraces_back.jpg
    Dallas2withbraces_back.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Dallas2withbraces_side.jpg
    Dallas2withbraces_side.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 46
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.