XKi - X's ab initio Karlson 6th Order Bandpass

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, it surprised me too - look at the nice sensitivity too - I think it is possible because the suspension is so darn stiff so the overall box volume is not whale-like in proportions. There is a bit of a bloated midrange, but I suspect once the K aperture is in place, the net result may just be, perfect. :)

Certainly worth a try...

So please do build this Jallen97 and let us know how it goes.

Btw Freddi, I finally broke down and bought a new copy of Win XP Pro with license key on eBay to install inside the 32-bit virtual machine on my 64-bit Win 10 laptop so that I could install Akabak on it. So for now up and running but still working out issues with transparent copy-paste between VM and host. Can finally run Akabak again while away from desktop though and that is nice.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes it is meant to sit on the floor if you can do it. It boosts the bass by 3dB that way. If up higher consider a slight BSC of 1mH and 4R7 5w resistor. I tried the Mini Karlsonator as stereo before too. Works well for combining left and right channels acoustically rather than electrically. But you lose 6dB gain in sensitivity this way from not driving in parallel. Better off to combine your left and right channels using two 4k7 resistors in a "Y" an feeding single channel to two drivers in parallel.

my 8 cubic foot "K18" has pretty good sound considering its running a generic crossover to the 1966 style X15 K-tube. Its more clear than some fullrange and has good dynamics. The original Karlson "K15" from the summer of 1951 is a great speaker with appropriate drivers and will destroy typical fullrange blh for dynamic bass. I don't know if the higher aspect of this cabinet is helpful or not as it has a bit of bump in 2pi around 80Hz - it did sound good with 18" in mass from 130g-100g + 70g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYsdJZA7coE

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
300Hz might be about as high as an xKi sub will do for this woofer. I seem to recall that was about the upper limit when I tested mine with dual 5in Tang Band W5-876SE's.

Actually the cutoff was 200Hz but extended beyond if you don't mind that notch. Some tuning could make it go higher but bass extension would suffer. Still interested?

The Kazba might be better option if you want high bandwidth but it's a dipole so efficiency is down in the tubes.

Last edited:
Yes, it surprised me too - look at the nice sensitivity too - I think it is possible because the suspension is so darn stiff so the overall box volume is not whale-like in proportions. There is a bit of a bloated midrange, but I suspect once the K aperture is in place, the net result may just be, perfect. :)

Certainly worth a try...

So please do build this Jallen97 and let us know how it goes.

Btw Freddi, I finally broke down and bought a new copy of Win XP Pro with license key on eBay to install inside the 32-bit virtual machine on my 64-bit Win 10 laptop so that I could install Akabak on it. So for now up and running but still working out issues with transparent copy-paste between VM and host. Can finally run Akabak again while away from desktop though and that is nice.

Hmm. Looks tempting. However the Beta 8cx box looks more the size I'm looking for... Maybe someday I'll try the PRV one for a different use. ?

Thank you so much for all of your help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

300Hz might be about as high as an xKi sub will do for this woofer. I seem to recall that was about the upper limit when I tested mine with dual 5in Tang Band W5-876SE's.

Actually the cutoff was 200Hz but extended beyond if you don't mind that notch. Some tuning could make it go higher but bass extension would suffer. Still interested?

The Kazba might be better option if you want high bandwidth but it's a dipole so efficiency is down in the tubes.

Did you ever have a chance to sim the
https://www.parts-express.com/peerless-850439-hds-6-1-2-woofer--297-638

xrk971,
PS95-8 3.5" is not in stock at PartsExpress right now. While looking for the replacement I saw Dayton Audio ND64-4 2-1/2" 4 Ohm and Dayton Audio ND64-16 2-1/2" 16 Ohm. As far as I comprehend, this has all the qualities for XKI (low to moderate Qts, lower Vas, higher sensitivity, moderate to high Bl, large xmas..)

Can this be made to fit on XKI that is about 7 in high (height restriction to put under the desktop monitor. Two monitors are on the dual arm Fleximounts M6H.), about 6 inch wide and 9 inch wide?

Primary purpose of this speaker is to listen/watch to the video/audio training material. Need only 1 speaker on the desk. Desktop surface is Pine (Ikea Ingo Table)

Do I need amp on this case? I have couple of sanwu 3118 pbtl to run this.

Dayton Audio ND64-4 2-1/2" 4 Ohn
Qt = 0.33
fs=103
Mms=2.56
Qms=4.36
Qes=0.36
Re=3.7
BL=4.13
Le=0.37
Vas=0.015
Xmax=1.9
Sensitivity 85.2db 2.83V/1m