XKi - X's ab initio Karlson 6th Order Bandpass

1)Can I make XKI that is about 7 in high (height restriction to put under the desktop monitor. Two monitors are on the dual arm Fleximounts M6H.), about 6 inch wide and 9 inch wide? I was thinking ND64-4 2-1/2" 4 Ohm or Dayton Audio ND64-16 2-1/2" 16 Ohm ?

Primary purpose of this speaker is to listen/watch to the video/audio training material. Perhaps "fatigue-free listening" is better way to describe the sound. Need only 1 speaker on the desk.

Please advise whether this will work or whatever is best for this need?

Refer Post [ 656]

2) I have TV mounted on the wall. And since I have small kids who climb/attempt to climb on anything I am thinking of putting Cornu on the wall as TV sound is really weak. I have pretty big open wall one one side and on other side can put 27inch Cornu. Since I can not put anything on the floor, I want this speaker to sound good- more than background sound.

I saw your comment "In general, 2in drivers are 14in x 2in, 3in drivers are 20 to 24in x 3.5 to 4in. 4in drivers are 24 to 27in x 4in to 4.5in, and 5in drivers are 27in to 36in x 4in to 6in. It is quite a flexible and tolerant design able to accommodate many types of drivers with adjustment of stuffing to balance bass and treble." And "I can recommend the 4FE35 in a full size Cornu 28in x 5in deep."

a) Can I make 4FE35 thinner than 5inch? Kids like to do target practise and they might hit Cornu with their toy and it might fall down therefore looking for thinner profile Cornu.

b) Which speaker and the dimensions should I choose given these circumstances?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I could not get the ND64-4 to work -it just has the wrong TS parameters for an XKi. There was always a large bass peak overshoot that would make it very boomy, I suggest you make the speaker that is shown in Post 1 using the Dayton RS100-8. Just re-scale it for a 7 inch height. Keep the volume, width, vent length the same - so extend the depth to preserve the volume. That driver will work well as a computer monitor and will give you nice bass extension to 55Hz.

Original design is 9in tall, so if reduce to 7in tall, grow width to 6.43in. Or grow depth alone to 9.64in.

461029d1422021961-speaker-kicks-butt-large-spaces-k15i-rs100p-4-plan.png

Cornu's are great wall speakers and sound very big for their size. The RS100-8 would work well in a 24in x 3in deep Cornu. 3FE35 will work as well.

Last edited:
I could not get the ND64-4 to work -it just has the wrong TS parameters for an XKi. There was always a large bass peak overshoot that would make it very boomy, I suggest you make the speaker that is shown in Post 1 using the Dayton RS100-8. Just re-scale it for a 7 inch height. Keep the volume, width, vent length the same - so extend the depth to preserve the volume. That driver will work well as a computer monitor and will give you nice bass extension to 55Hz.

Original design is 9in tall, so if reduce to 7in tall, grow width to 6.43in. Or grow depth alone to 9.64in.

461029d1422021961-speaker-kicks-butt-large-spaces-k15i-rs100p-4-plan.png

Cornu's are great wall speakers and sound very big for their size. The RS100-8 would work well in a 24in x 3in deep Cornu. 3FE35 will work as well.

xrk971,
Does RS100P-8 4" version of this driver offer better sound than RS100-8? If so, does it work on the dimensions that you mentioned on both xKI and Cornu?

Hi X - would you have suggestions for either a K15 type or XKi to work with Eminence 12LTA? - it seems just a bit cramped in K12. I have an X15 copy which could try - that's more like 2 cubic feet rear chamber, 1 front chamber - I'm not sure it its as good as K12 with regards to potential dips

I think 12LTA BL in theory is at the 70% point for their 3.5mm xmax figure - coil overhang is ~0.08 inches with a 0.375" top plate

I'm hoping a standard K can conserve its Xmax and get some "hit" - it would nice if combined chambers volume isn't much more than 3 cubic feet to compete with a small 12LTA reflex alignment.

Def_Driver 'Beta12LTA' | Eminence Beta12LTA Qts 0.51, 3.5mm xmax, 225w 97.7dB
Sd=532.4cm2
fs=45Hz
Mms=36g
Qms=6.44
Qes=0.55
Re=7.37ohm
BL=11.7Tm
Le=0.83mH
Vas=136.3L

Last edited:
Bofu?

X,

I have an old pair of Bofu that I am thinking of repurposing. I will have to re-do the surrounds. I am wondering if you could do an xki sim for the Bofu?

I also have 1 pair of PA130 for an xki that I am going to finish.

I am looking for a bit more bass extension and impact than the single PA130 for another pair, but the more I think about it 4 PA130s per pair doesn't seem so budget friendly - especially when you're making multiple pairs.

Any thoughts welcome.

-Andy

After re-reading a bunch of threads, it seems like the Daytonator is the design for speakers like the Bofu and the BetsyK. I am planning on buying a pair of BetsyK and redo-ing the surrounds on my old Bofu.

In Post 58 of the Karlsonator thread it says:

"Betsy K in a 1.25X scale Karlsonator with the vent scaled up by additional 1.2X"

Karlsonator

Question, do you just increase all dimensions by 1.25? The vent by 1.2 is the length yes?

-Andy

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi X - would you have suggestions for either a K15 type or XKi to work with Eminence 12LTA? - it seems just a bit cramped in K12. I have an X15 copy which could try - that's more like 2 cubic feet rear chamber, 1 front chamber - I'm not sure it its as good as K12 with regards to potential dips

I think 12LTA BL in theory is at the 70% point for their 3.5mm xmax figure - coil overhang is ~0.08 inches with a 0.375" top plate

I'm hoping a standard K can conserve its Xmax and get some "hit" - it would nice if combined chambers volume isn't much more than 3 cubic feet to compete with a small 12LTA reflex alignment.

Def_Driver 'Beta12LTA' | Eminence Beta12LTA Qts 0.51, 3.5mm xmax, 225w 97.7dB
Sd=532.4cm2
fs=45Hz
Mms=36g
Qms=6.44
Qes=0.55
Re=7.37ohm
BL=11.7Tm
Le=0.83mH
Vas=136.3L

Hi Freddi,
The 12LTA has a very large Vas so not the best for XKi. But the best I could come up with is a 150 Liter box, 80% back chamber volume and 20% front chamber with a 12in wide x 2in deep x 6.5in long vent between the front and back. It achieves 96.7dB sensitivity and F3 of 42Hz. Not bad... Just huge box though. Max SPL is cone excursion limited at 3.5mm xmax for 110dB sustained at 14v rms.

attachment.php

Attachments

• XKi-12LTA-Freq-1m.png
    XKi-12LTA-Freq-1m.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 700
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
After re-reading a bunch of threads, it seems like the Daytonator is the design for speakers like the Bofu and the BetsyK. I am planning on buying a pair of BetsyK and redo-ing the surrounds on my old Bofu.

In Post 58 of the Karlsonator thread it says:

"Betsy K in a 1.25X scale Karlsonator with the vent scaled up by additional 1.2X"

Karlsonator

Question, do you just increase all dimensions by 1.25? The vent by 1.2 is the length yes?

-Andy

Yes, just scale everything to maintain internal dimensions at scale. So the effect of the wood thickness must be accounted for. It's ok to be too large externally, it is the internal dimensions that matter.

I'm playing catch-up in this thread, but Freddi mentioned that the 12" full range Fane hasn't been tried yet... The 12-250tc. This design might be a nice way to tame the beaming and highs that are a bit.. high.. while even making a little bass. Higher BL and lower Vas than the 12lta, so maybe it will be a good candidate...
Specs:
Fs 50 hz
Re 7.2
Qms 7.60
Qes .72
Qts .64
Vas 78.06 Liters
Vd .165 Liters
Cms .195 mm/N
BL 13 T/m
Mms 52 grams
Xmax 5.25 mm
Sd 530.9 cm2
Le 1.56 mH

Anything I missed:
https://www.fane-international.com/downloads/Fane-Sovereign-12250TC-DS240316.pdf

I like the concept of the XKi, nice work! If you have a minute to try this driver, thanks!!

As a have a pair of Fostex 206e drivers sitting in a box for a few years, yet I am not willing to to through the trouble of building a proper backloaded horn for them, while still wanting to extract "punch" out of them, I thought that a Karlson 12 was a nice alternative. However, Xki would maybe go lower. I don't know, that's why I asked, 206 looks suitable for Xki :)

here's a comment on K12 with PS220. One old K12 with FE206EN on Johnny Cash's "Get Rhythm" sounded like a huge concert. Taiko drums sounded more coherent vs my little BK20 back loaded horn. FE206 are very good drivers for Karlson. My next speaker might be a l1960's K12 with a single vent (versus distributed slots) for Kappa12A/pym1298 and topped with a K-tube with acrylic baffle for the tube.

Dayton 8" FR PS220 Discussion

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I'm playing catch-up in this thread, but Freddi mentioned that the 12" full range Fane hasn't been tried yet... The 12-250tc. This design might be a nice way to tame the beaming and highs that are a bit.. high.. while even making a little bass. Higher BL and lower Vas than the 12lta, so maybe it will be a good candidate...
Specs:
Fs 50 hz
Re 7.2
Qms 7.60
Qes .72
Qts .64
Vas 78.06 Liters
Vd .165 Liters
Cms .195 mm/N
BL 13 T/m
Mms 52 grams
Xmax 5.25 mm
Sd 530.9 cm2
Le 1.56 mH

Anything I missed:
https://www.fane-international.com/downloads/Fane-Sovereign-12250TC-DS240316.pdf

I like the concept of the XKi, nice work! If you have a minute to try this driver, thanks!!

I finally had time to run a sim for you. It looks like you can use this to get a very high sensitivity XKi with 97dB and F3 of 55Hz. It can achieve a max sustained SPL of 117dB at 28vrms using a -12dB/oct HPF at 40Hz.

The design is as follows: 80 liter box wth 80% rear chamber volume 20% front chambr volume, vent is 12in wide x 2in deep x 10.5in long.

Here is SPL at 1m and 2.83v:
attachment.php

Here is cone displacement at 28v to hit xmax:
attachment.php

Here is corresponding max SPL:
attachment.php

I hope you build it! If you require deeper bass extension, be prepared to give up sensitivity. This is a pro-audio driver, so not surprising it tunes to circa 55Hz - the center of a kick drum.

Attachments

• XKi-Fane-12-250TC-Freq-2.83v.png
    XKi-Fane-12-250TC-Freq-2.83v.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 529
  • XKi-Fane-12-250TC-Dislacement-Xmax.png
    XKi-Fane-12-250TC-Dislacement-Xmax.png
    10 KB · Views: 549
  • XKi-Fane-12-250TC-Freq-Max-SPL.png
    XKi-Fane-12-250TC-Freq-Max-SPL.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 540
Thanks X! I want to try a few different alignments for the fane so i will add this to my list to build!

Is that peak around 275 hz anything to worry about, or thats not present in real life?

Plan is to cross over from woofer to the fane around 150 hz so 55 is plenty low - low enough to try running the xo much lower.

The xki box would sit on top of a helper woofer box, so i may have to eliminate the driver angle and make it perpendicular to ground (so driver isn't pointing over the listening area), so i guess the "curtains " will need to tip forward to keep that relationship...

Jesse