your most impressive cheap fullrange 3-4" (low bass)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• FMKPHMSH9X3IPXI_MEDIUM.jpg
    FMKPHMSH9X3IPXI_MEDIUM.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 756
How about a pair of Fostex FE126en in a FH Mk3 box made of foam-core and hot glue? Cheaper, they'll play loud, and easy to build. I've never heard them so I don't know about good bass, but I may try it myself. I did a scaled down version of it and it was pretty good even that way. The box was 12x12x6 internally.

Last edited:
Why you laugh at me !!!???

AYE ! C'MON GUYS !!!

Why you laugh at me !!!??? :mad:

Exemple = BOSE reach to get good results with a VERY CHEAP speaker.

Okay okay I don't search to make 100dB at 20hz with 3-4" driver I'm not idiot !!!

I just want to know your best result with one small driver !?

Exemple Fullrange ; HI-VI RESEARCH C3N-III or B3N or

Thanks in advance :) !

nicK

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You can get quality bass from 3.5in - just play at moderate levels

How about a pair of Fostex FE126en in a FH Mk3 box made of foam-core and hot glue? Cheaper, they'll play loud, and easy to build. I've never heard them so I don't know about good bass, but I may try it myself. I did a scaled down version of it and it was pretty good even that way. The box was 12x12x6 internally.

You mean like this? I did it with the $12 Vifa TC9FD which sounds quite nice. Bass is in the 60Hz range.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/227460-fh3-inspired-foam-core-mini-build.html

323295d1357966447-fh3-inspired-foam-core-mini-build-foam-fh3i-01.jpg

It's a fun speaker and great sounding too. The TC9FD, although with only a 120Hz fs, can reach low due to its high Qts of 0.89. I have used this driver in many different alignments where you normally would not think of using a high Qts driver and many times it works very well. Perhaps the highest quality bass (at moderate SPL levels) was achieved with the TC9FD in dual chamber reflex (DCR). I got about 55Hz with fairly low distortion when listening near-field at sub 80dB SPL.

More info on DCR here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/252627-viva-la-vifa-curvy-cabinet-dcr-tc9fd.html

Plan:
404866d1394457584-viva-la-vifa-curvy-cabinet-dcr-tc9fd-dcr-plan.png

404491d1394331762-foam-core-board-speaker-enclosures-dcr-vifa-photo-01.png

Here are measurements of DCR with TC9FD:
406535d1395086304-viva-la-vifa-curvy-cabinet-dcr-tc9fd-dcr-vifa-no-1-0deg-hd-final.png

Impulse Response:
406537d1395086304-viva-la-vifa-curvy-cabinet-dcr-tc9fd-dcr-vifa-no-1-15deg-ir-final.png

Polar response for unit 1 & 2:
406533d1395086304-viva-la-vifa-curvy-cabinet-dcr-tc9fd-dcr-vifa-both-bsc-polar-all.png

Listen to it here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachments/full-range/406143d1394939982-viva-la-vifa-curvy-cabinet-dcr-tc9fd-dcr-vifa-clip-real-bsc-06.zip

Hi again !

This speaker seems to be really good :)
Tectonic Elements TEBM65C20F-8 3-1/2"

But parts-express is really expensive shipping price to Canada :(

If I find the Canadian distributor maybe try this interesting driver.

it's good to see your really BEAUTIFUL SMALL project with the spec sheet ! :spin: THANK YOU ALL :) !

- define dollar range for "cheap"

- my personal favorite / most impressive full-range in this size range is still the FF85WK - but there are literally too many for most guys to actually audition

-yes, international shipping and brokerage, etc charges can easily double the landed cost of a small purchase - that's life

-the Vifa of which xrk is a big fan looks to be good candidate

- and what Bob has already said

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.