What is your favorite full range driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Feastrix, Fertin, Neo-fone, Coral, Alpair, Tang Band, Satori, PHY, Fostex, SB Acoustics, Supravox, Jordan, or some other?

From your list i haven't heard any Fertin, Satori, SB Acoustics, Supravox. I have heard examples from many makers not listed.

There are many good FRs: system, room, taste, tunes, implementation can shuffle results.

My 3 personal favorites are Alpair 7.3eN, A10PeN, FF85wk. And more than a few nipping at those.

dave

Bandor 50 for me, I still haven't heard anything that comes close. Very smooth sound, no sibilance, an almost holographic quality with vocals and guitars
They are small and need bass support, but in a sealed box (computer monitor) they go surprisingly loud and low

The designer Doreen Bance was producing extremely shallow cone drivers 20 odd yrs ago, she was also the first to anodize aluminium drivers I believe

For mainstream use I am enjoying the Alpair 10P atm

Well, I was lucky enough to get a pair of Feastrex D5nf drivers when they offered some early pairs to the DIY community. These are still by far my favorite drivers. Other drivers I really like include the Fostex F120a and the FF85. My long time speakers, almost 30 years running are Quad ESL-63 electrostatics which I will always keep.

Regards, KM

Jordan JXR6 with its matching bass unit, so more a wide-ranger really. The current Eikona comes very close.

The Bandors were good. I thought the contemporary Jordans beat them when I heard them together at one of the big Penta shows.

I liked a vintage Lowther I heard some years ago. It was an in a cabinet designed for mono, so fired into the corner and you heard the sound reflected from the wall behind..

But I doubt anyone here has heard all of them so you're only going to get a snapshot.

I think sonido is a magnitude better than fostex FE206e, with same price.
Of course it is my personal, so subjective opinion.
I don't know actual prices, but when I bought my Sonido SFR200-8 Alnico it was at a same price than FE206e.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.