Halair Column - my line array build (20 FR drivers)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Did complete new measurements with a different computer...

Attachments

• array v3 eq.jpg
    array v3 eq.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 533
  • array v3 all.jpg
    array v3 all.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 526
  • array v3 distortion.jpg
    array v3 distortion.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 689
Last edited:
Finally we're closing in on the real shape for a line array...
These look way more as expected! Were these done inside or out?
My guess would be inside judging the response and the differences left and right.
Let the fun begin! I bet EQ-ing a straight line will sound much better now :D.

Did you do left/right EQ separately to make the left and right more equal?
Serious output to 30 Hz! You're planning subs later right? I think I will as well,
say 3 of them a la Geddes...

Last edited:
These were made inside, in their intended location. L/R distance 3m and both were pointed directly at sweetspot. Mic at ear level at sweetspot, similar distance as L/R. Rear wall is only 1m behind.

I didn't have much time to spend so did only a brief L & R separate sweep before trying to even out the SPL with EQ. I did not do EQ per speaker, only both on the fly. I will however when I find time do one speaker at the time.
Brief listening test gave very promising impressions :D
For the extra curious ones the Array v3-file is available for download at www.halair.com/rew

Yes, I am considering woofer support later on :) Considering 2x6,5" in a TL configuration per side...

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
436443d1409689061-halair-column-my-line-array-build-20-fr-drivers-array-v3-distortion.jpg

That looks excellent for no EQ'ing! :)
I bet it sounds good based on the data I know what this sounds like - one of the best speakers you have heard probably. That is pretty good HD performance too for some no-name drivers. (or were these Vifa TC9FD's?)

Congrats!
:cheers:

So was it your computer that was causing problems with the measurement?

That looks excellent for no EQ'ing! :)
So was it your computer that was causing problems with the measurement?

Actually that was with a quick and dirty EQ :) Legend says EQ=1 ;)
Attached image show each side without any EQ.

Yes, apparently the sound card in my Macbook was causing this (or the combination of REW/Umik-1) Different sweeps of the arrays, the B&W`s and the MB itself all showed similar artefacts while the iMac showed none. So I redid the tests with the iMac.

The array use 20x Vifa TC9`s each, wired in 5 groups of 4 = 6.4ohm nominal impedance.
My Ashly AEQ btw add to much background noise however, it need to go...

Thank you :)

Attachments

• leftright no eq.jpg
    leftright no eq.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 486
Last edited:
Don't forget that REW can suggest EQ settings for you based on the measurements. I think there's even a way to have the graphic EQ points at the fixed frequencies with fixed Q (don't know for sure though). Otherwise it will suggest PEQ cuts/boosts for you.
The DEQ2496 doesn't get mentioned as a native EQ but it's crossover enabled brother DCX2496 is in the list.
I'd make sure to have several measurements per speaker at the listening position in a cubic space and average those to apply the EQ for that averaged
response.

Last edited:
Yep, I also like what I see, and I can only guess the arrays sound just as good.

The low end is indeed impressive, and follows all the reports I've read on the web about those VIFAs in arrays.

A sub or two will help smooth it out, and help the VIFAs perform even better by limiting the range of frequencies they will operate.

You can try to get as flat as possible for EQ, and then, don't forget to tweak according to your taste. Your ears and what you like to hear is more important than the flattest line.... in my case anyway.

Today I bought to bales of 70mm thick (Close to 3") Rockwool Flexi-A plates and placed them around in the room. Each bale had 8 sheets of 3x24x48" and this is my attempt to acoustically treaten my HT-room.
Clapping test showed great reduction on reverb so this was money well spent (less than 100bucks)

I also did some new sweeps after crude placement of the Rockwool, REW-images attached. The mdat file is at EQ vs NoEQ
Images show EQ vs No EQ SPL, EQ TDH and Waterfall. Mic at 1m height at sweetspot.

With the Rockwool placed out and after doing a few sweeps fine tuning the EQ the improvement in SQ was dramatic - this is by far the best setup I have listened to :D Chills...

Attachments

• wf 1-12oct.jpg
    wf 1-12oct.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 551
  • tdh 0-15ms.jpg
    tdh 0-15ms.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 222
  • eq vs uneq.jpg
    eq vs uneq.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Got to take the LA´s outside today :)
No EQ performed for these tests.

The complete set of mdat-file is found here - http://halair.com/rew/Outside.mdat
If anyone knowledgable with REW could try to interpret the finer details I would appreciate that, in case I have missed some quality to these measurement ;)
Nearest reflective surface is minimum 5m away.
It's always nice to hear about line array speaker results.

Last edited:
There are a number of condenser mics available with a USB plug.

One that I know to be really nice for the price is the Blue Yeti mic. Awesome ratio price / sound quality. Has different pick up modes, cardioid, figure 8, stereo and omni.

Of course, if it's only for this measure, than it's not worth to invest in such a mic. If you record a musical instrument, or podcast, then it's worth it.

If not, ask around. You may have a friend that owns a condenser mic

Thank you for your suggestions guys :)
Once the room have the acoustic panels in place I will pursue a HQ recording and post here, schedule is too tight at the moment and I need to stay focused on the room itself. The arrays are working wonderfully so now is the time to tweak their surroundings :)

Completed 4 panels today an prefabricated the parts for 3 more, in the morning I´ll get more materials and if time willing I should have all wall panels done (12ish). Corner traps to be dealt with after that. Will update with pics soon, need to tidy up the place first hehe!

Quick OT-image update :)

Have completed the frames for the last batch of panels, I now have 4 that are done (no pics yet), 9 that only lack upholstery and 3 as shown in the last image. Got to keep cranking when the opportunity is in place... :smash:

Also did a Waterfall comparison before/after adding Rockwool to the room:
<300hz / no smoothing and the ambient dB-floor is just above 40.
Red = Before / Purple = After

Attachments

• rammer1.jpg
    rammer1.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 467
  • ramme2.jpg
    ramme2.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 457
  • ramme-duk.jpg
    ramme-duk.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 459
  • dempeplater.jpg
    dempeplater.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 454
  • 25-300hz før-at.jpg
    25-300hz før-at.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 448
  • etter-at 15-300hz.jpg
    etter-at 15-300hz.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Quick OT-image update :)

Have completed the frames for the last batch of panels, I now have 4 that are done (no pics yet), 9 that only lack upholstery and 3 as shown in the last image. Got to keep cranking when the opportunity is in place... :smash:

Also did a Waterfall comparison before/after adding Rockwool to the room:
<300hz / no smoothing and the ambient dB-floor is just above 40.
Red = Before / Purple = After

Dang, that's a pretty dramatic improvement in those waterfalls! I bet it's sounding pretty awesome at this point. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.