New 12" Full-Range: Fane 12-250TC

00940:
I am not at all concerned about below 25hz behaviour, I analyzed most of my music collection some years back, most "bass heavy" music had little under 35hz, good piano recordings had some content to 26-27hz, a few church organ recordings went lower, but not many.
Might be a different story for movies.
It's a slot port on that sim.

Freddi:
Yes 3,5mm is very good, these things seem to be well put together, so to speak.

I am new to speaker building and looking for full range speakers for my newly built ACA (6 W) amp. I spent hours and days the past months researching suitable FAST solutions, but there are just too many options and other things involved. I have now reached a point where I would rather like to try a single full range driver box - simple and (hopefully) sweet. Even here are many options, but working within my constraints (smallish footprint floor standers with high sensitivity drivers), the Fane 12” intrigues me.

These Fane FR (12” and 15”) drivers seem to have a devout following here, and probably for a reason. I see Fane recommends 30 to 75 Litre sealed enclosures for the 12” drivers. It would be simple to make a sealed box within those parameters and even one with a relatively small footprint. However as a complete novice I have some questions:
- Will any box within the 30 to 75 litres sound great? Bigger is probably better here too?
- Does the shape matter? Can I make the front baffle as narrow as practically possible (say 34cm) and simple adjust the depth and height until I get a suitable target volume?
- What I am most concerned about is the bass. Will I get satisfactory bass here for music (not HT) without a sub? I know this is very undefined and speculative, but will the bass compare to other single driver enclosures like the Frugal Horns or Pensils for eg? Steve's graphs above seems to indicate some good bass down to 40Hz, but I am not good at interpreting these graphs. Still learning.

I am missing something here, because it just seems too simple compared to other speaker builds.
Any update to your Fane 12" speaker box?

OK, a few early observations.
The rising response as seen on the published FR plot, is of no consequence in a real room situation. Angling the speakers to fire straight ahead in combination with half space placement deals with it nicely.

In hi-fi terms, coloration is low; remarkably low for a full-range driver, the presentation is nice and smooth overall and bass is quick, agile and even, though ultimate extension is lacking. They might go a bit lower as the suspension breaks in; other full-rangers develop more bottom end as they run in, so I don't expect this one to be any different.

Vocals are very very good, as are saxes, strings, brass, electric guitar and Hammond organ. A relaxing listen, free from wince inducing moments.

But......it's at the top end where these drivers show their fabulousness. How the hell do they get so high and so clean?

Steve,

After all these months, how are you enjoying them?

Cheers,

Greg

I built the Scottmoose suggested design for the Fane 12-250TC. I am thrilled with the results. Here are some pics and note a few differences from that posted by Scottmoose on p.39 of this discussion.

One changed is that I only used a single layer of 3/4 MDF and 3/4 Marine grade plywood, left over from other projects (I didn't have enough material on hand for a double layer). Another change is that I didn't have enough material to make longitudinal braces, so mine are horizontal. The exterior dimensions are 41.5H inches by 24W by 17.5D.

Right now I am fiddling with speaker height (adding different sized wood feet under the cabinets) and internal stuffing. For internal tuning I am using layers of Myskgras, a bedding product from Ikea. I don't know of anything cheaper for stuffing.

This is my first DIY build and it's replacing a pair of American-made Cain&Cain Abby speakers.

I wonder if I need more internal bracing and how to tell if I need more internal bracing...thoughts appreciated.

Thank you to Mr. Scottmoose! I am glad I took a chance and purchase the Fane 12-250TCs from Solen.ca and got off my butt and made the cabinets - as you can see from the pics, it's a pretty easy DIY build.

Attachments

• 20181217_145123.jpg
    20181217_145123.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 519
  • 20181217_171037.jpg
    20181217_171037.jpg
    918.6 KB · Views: 507
  • 20181217_204314.jpg
    20181217_204314.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 495
I built the Scottmoose suggested design for the Fane 12-250TC. I am thrilled with the results. Here are some pics and note a few differences from that posted by Scottmoose on p.39 of this discussion.

One changed is that I only used a single layer of 3/4 MDF and 3/4 Marine grade plywood, left over from other projects (I didn't have enough material on hand for a double layer). Another change is that I didn't have enough material to make longitudinal braces, so mine are horizontal. The exterior dimensions are 41.5H inches by 24W by 17.5D.

Right now I am fiddling with speaker height (adding different sized wood feet under the cabinets) and internal stuffing. For internal tuning I am using layers of Myskgras, a bedding product from Ikea. I don't know of anything cheaper for stuffing.

This is my first DIY build and it's replacing a pair of American-made Cain&Cain Abby speakers.

I wonder if I need more internal bracing and how to tell if I need more internal bracing...thoughts appreciated.

Thank you to Mr. Scottmoose! I am glad I took a chance and purchase the Fane 12-250TCs from Solen.ca and got off my butt and made the cabinets - as you can see from the pics, it's a pretty easy DIY build.

Awesome, thanks for the review. Solen only has one woofer left,, doh!

Probably better sounding and a lot cheaper then your Cane & Cane speaker!

Cheers,

Greg