Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more

I've tried the FXL with the Alpair 10P only and initial impressions are favorable - The low end is plentiful (a lot :)), mids are very neutral and clear; the top might sound slightly laid back depending on the amp - I am guessing that the Alpair 10.3 metal would have a brighter and more extended HF response?

Thank you, I fear that the paper cones are maybe too polite in the HF for my taste - at least with pop/rock/funk/fusion. Beside that the linearity of the 10.3 is unmatched by any other FR driver over 5".

having the choice of drivers, and several enclosure designs that can fairly easily accommodate the differences in tuning is certainly a bonus

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hi,
Probably a stupid one, but are FHXL more sensitive than FH3?

As Scott says, the driver sets the sensitivitiy.

With A10p FHxl is therefore about 90 dB, wuth A10.3 about 87 dB, FH3 with A7 about 85 dB, but if you have FE126En about 92 dB.

The horn only has gain at low frequencies and you reduce any excess away with damping to give a balanced response.

dave

The only way you can exceed the driver's own sensitivity across a wide BW is via front or compound loading. Back loaded cabinets of any kind only function over a narrow BW at the bottom end of the audible frequency range.

As for the other, no XO = no losses, although these are typically quite small in a competently designed filter with reasonably low resististance components. More a case of depends what your requirements are in terms of SPLs and the baseline you use for comparison. People are often surprised how little power is needed to make a relatively loud noise, even in relatively low efficiency systems. Where a low power amp may become more problematic in such systems is when asked to reproduce material with large LF dynamic range since it will have less in reserve.

Last edited: