Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more

I do not disagree with what you are saying. The problem is how to listen to the XL in person here in Greece :)

You can't! Neither could I in New Zealand.

With DIY its very difficult or impossible to know exactly what you will end up with. But, with speakers anyway, you hcan to read peoples impressions, after a while you get to know some key people and what drivers or designs they prefer. In the end its a leap of faith. I already had some FH3s with MA7.3 drivers so I could extrapolate what I thought the sound would be. In the end I think the XLs are a better balanced speaker tho the MA7.3 drivers are very strong in the mid/upper frequencies.

Chris

While I agree the XL kinda dwarfs the FH3 side by side I don't feel they really impose on the room that much more. Even my partner said she thought they looked great in the room tho the great finish on the Meranti ply helps there.

Bigger, yes, but so is the sound they present, to my mind even more impressive, taking into account the larger size, than the FH3 was. I would hope they will become as popular as the FH3, great work guys.

well, not exactly dwarf the FH3s - I have both, and as built here, the XLs are only approx 2.5 " taller and wider, and 3" deeper - now, the Avebury, while I've not seen in the flesh, that's gotta be a big MF - and need a substantial room to work best

Agreed, its just a matter of inches (centimetres!) in each dimension but adds up to, well maybe dwarfing is an overstatement but bigger brother at least. As per pic from my post when I had just finished the build

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...329-frugel-horn-xl-alpair-10-3-10p-fhxl1.jpg]

Yes, the Avebury would be a big MF, they are nearly as tall as my FE208EZ/BIB cabinets! Having moved to a house with 8' stud they are just too tall.

Build done, installed the drivers (in my case Alpair 10P) - now for some listening! :)

Oh please report about the sound quality. I'm going to build the FHXL's for the 10p or 10.3 (not decided yet).

Normally I would go for paper (I hate the metal cone sound) but I have a pair of A6 for my PC (tube pre & TA-2020 chip amp) and they do sound better than Gradient 8" FR and Dayton P220 8" FR (both paper) on my main stereo (tube pre & SET monoblocks)! With better I mean better linearity, less coloration, more compatibility and even more important: Much better DDR! For me the Alpair series is just the best out there - others may differ in opinion.

A question for all: Please would someone could telll me if it is possible to drive the 10.3 without any correction? I love the A10.1 and the A6 but only with slight corrections - to give you a reference about my coloration tolerance.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I know, but I'm right with the assumption that the 10.3 is nearer to "no correction needed" status than the 10P or 12P???

AFAIC both the new 10s are better than the new 12. we use them with no correction (except that we match/modify them). Our use of any other correction is so rare as to be non-existant.

I'm listening to a set of A10.3eN in Mar-Ken10.3T right now. A big step up from FE103eN2 that were in the system just before. The many hours of break-in Bernie gave these have not hurt theri performance.

dave

AFAIC both the new 10s are better than the new 12. we use them with no correction (except that we match/modify them). Our use of any other correction is so rare as to be non-existant.

I'm listening to a set of A10.3eN in Mar-Ken10.3T right now. A big step up from FE103eN2 that were in the system just before. The many hours of break-in Bernie gave these have not hurt theri performance.

dave

Thanks, no wonder - I hate Frostex - sorry.

Questions:
1. Any plans of the Mar-Ken10.3T out there?
2. Soundfield depth and width is MUCHO importante for me, is the FH-XL better suited for that?

I'm (unfortunately) listening to baroque/symphonic/80's pop/disco/fusion/AOR/prog-rock.

Just found this:

chrisb: "What I think can be said is that very much like the comparison between Pensil and FH3 with Alpair7s, there's a substantial difference in the breadth and depth of soundstage presentation that might well swamp the current potential sub-optimal bass tuning of the MLTL. In other words, if you have the additional floor space required by the deeper footprint and rear mouth of either of FHs (3 or XL) , I can heartily recommend them."

In my next life, I plan on having all the resources - time, finances, and the ranges of venues in which to build every design of interest and give it fair trial - in the meantime, things'll get done when they do

Or not

Call it smoother mids, as perhaps might be seen in Mark's published, or builders' in-situ measures, or some quality of unquantifiable textural resolution / organic coherence ( have I read too much 6-Moons?)- whatever - I'm almost loath to speculate ;) - who am I kidding, when has that ever stopped me from running my mouth;)

And mentioning the FE103En and any current Alpair10 in successive sentences almost infers they're comparable in any substantive way- this is certainly not the case

Oh please report about the sound quality. I'm going to build the FHXL's for the 10p or 10.3 (not decided yet).

I've tried the FXL with the Alpair 10P only and initial impressions are favorable - The low end is plentiful (a lot :)), mids are very neutral and clear; the top might sound slightly laid back depending on the amp - I am guessing that the Alpair 10.3 metal would have a brighter and more extended HF response?

I've tried the FXL with the Alpair 10P only and initial impressions are favorable - The low end is plentiful (a lot :)), mids are very neutral and clear; the top might sound slightly laid back depending on the amp - I am guessing that the Alpair 10.3 metal would have a brighter and more extended HF response?

Thank you, I fear that the paper cones are maybe too polite in the HF for my taste - at least with pop/rock/funk/fusion. Beside that the linearity of the 10.3 is unmatched by any other FR driver over 5".