Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more

Hi,

I heard that the Alpair 10p(I own CHR-70) sounds quite good. However after visiting Bob Brine's website I noticed that this model exhibits high frequencies peaks above 4-5kHz.

I believe this phenomenon had been discussed before, I did not read the responses from these users/owners. My query is that do these peaks create any irritations among the users/owners, if so do you use any filters to suppress these peaks? If you do not experienced any irritations why not?

A response from anyone who has experienced this phenomenon is welcomed.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A10PeN is the version where we take the A1-p andEnABL it.It costs more.

Alpair10PeN.jpg

dave

Hi all.....

At last Dave and Scottmoose.

Just a little pic as a teaser - explain more in a day or two. In a hurry for some chores and work.

But if it function with Alp10.2 ---- YES:)

Just some finishing touch and it will be perfect!

Best

Olav

Attachments

• FhXl1.jpg
    FhXl1.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 963
Hi and yes.....

Olav.
I would flush mount the driver with baffle.
should make a big difference.

Hi bigaudioscotto!

Had a plan about that, but my router was a little too big(and didn`t have time to reposition it).

But I will make a suprabaffle or move my extra baffle from my old Fonken-styel box - so it will be more or less flushed in the end!

And the sound is so deep and bass-tuned - so even my Alp12P has to give up.:)

Perfect - perfect

will give more pics in a day or two - time is short for fixing diff things!

Best

Olav

Olav - Dave & I gave a quick listen to 10.3 in XLs last night - they were originally fitted with 10Ps, so need some extra fibre fill, but my yes the 10s can dig deep in this box.

My first listening impression of the 10.3 last year was that I preferred the papers, but with full break-in the metals are much smoother, and certainly have no trouble with Flight of Cosmic Hippo (Bela Fleck) , or Duende (Bozzio, Levin, Stevens) - my first go-to bass extension and articulation demo tracks

Hi Dave and Crisb....

Yea - too good to be true???

I was expecting some more fullbodied sound compared to the older Fonken-style I used, but it really blowed me out of my seat(The FHXL is more even and life-like). Nearly as good as my Alp12P in Fonkenlike boxes. They have more substance in the bottom octaves (FHXL I mean) - so they give a softer presentation of music. The Alp12P is more agile and clear(like a good Electrolytic speaker) - but the Fhxl is easier and more even.
I use the new Ryan Adams(come home) and Dream River with Bill Callahan to test them with for now!

Have to get my young daughter home now(at 20:00) - so off to service!

Best

Olav

Some more impressions....

Hi again.:)

Back from service ----

Like you said - I used more filling (around 20 gram more behind and 20 gram more in the front with pillow-stuff) to find the balance.

Have moved them down to my HarmanKardon 980 which gives more touch and has enough power to them. They need more than my homemade SIT-amp does give with its 2x10 W classA. The SIT-amp has enough power for the Alp12P!:spin:
I am planning a preamp with a sparecouple SIT-transistors I got(2SK82). A project for the september/october month. And maybe it will give more power than my passive B1:bulb:

Time will tell.....but for now, they both - Alp12P and Alp10.2 in Fhxl - is so fullfilling sonic!!

Best

Olav

Olav
Here is a good way to do it.
Take a 3/4 piece of mdf and cut a hole the size of the outside circumference
Of your 10p make sure it is a large enough piece that the router can sit easily on.use double sided carpet tape around hole on baffle to hold the template you
Made.lay the mdf template over baffle hole eyeballing to get it perfect edge distance around perimeter of hole.now you are ready to route the hole
You will need a pattern template bit for this now just measure the depth of the
Plastic surround on the 10p and cut to that depth.
Good luck.

Scott

Hi bigaudioscotto!

Had a plan about that, but my router was a little too big(and didn`t have time to reposition it).

But I will make a suprabaffle or move my extra baffle from my old Fonken-styel box - so it will be more or less flushed in the end!

And the sound is so deep and bass-tuned - so even my Alp12P has to give up.:)

Perfect - perfect

will give more pics in a day or two - time is short for fixing diff things!

Best

Olav

Spl on Alp10.2...

By my measures only about a dB sensitivity difference between A12p and A10p

dave

Hi Dave.

Yes - not much difference between the paper versions. But the ALP10.2 has a 87db Spl (information leaf) and the ALP12P has 91db Spl.
And that should be something to give in soundpressure = 3db is a doubling - according to my oldtimer teaching(remember I`m passed 60 - and still hearing around 15000 Hz) I think using noise-stoppers at work is a good help - plus a daily meditation helps on how you tune in to sound/music.

And to bigaudioscotto - thanks for tips and ways to make the couple even more perfect. Will try something when time permits.

Some more pics....:)

Best to all
Olav

Attachments

• fhxl2.jpg
    fhxl2.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 973
  • fhxl3.jpg
    fhxl3.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 976
  • fhxl4.jpg
    fhxl4.jpg