Need advice for Alpair 10p build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
@philosophil, planet10, vinylkid58, stevenz

- thanks. this is my first build & I am happy how it turned out :D

@mikealanlee & scottmoose

- those are engineered solid wood labelled "for use as countertops" by home depot, the "elegant" term they use for butcher block I guess :p

@zman1, mikealanlee & faithintruth

- listening impressions: hmmm...

My objective was to build a pair of speakers with very good to excellent midrange for this project. I find myself listening mostly to jazz, vocals, acoustic sessions, classical/neo-classical lately. That is also the reason why I chose the 10P for its paper cone drivers. I opted for the Pensils because they will be used in a smallish 16sq/m room and they won't require much space from the wall.

How do they sound? these speakers didn't disappoint! smooth with plenty of details & revealing, it's like listening to my favorite music for the first time...again. I have listened to speakers with tweeters as long as I can remember but I don't miss them on these pair. Low end is still inconclusive as I am still listening at low to moderate volume but it is coherent on some jazz materials, simply put, those who require a lot of bass need to look elsewhere.

Piano, in my observation is where most speakers I have owned struggles in producing close to its natural sound. I listen to a lot of piano materials from Claudio Arrau, Vladimir Horowitz, Ludovico Einaudi, Keith Jarrett, Thelonious Monk etc and these speakers produce the most natural piano timbre I have heard on my system! These speakers are so smooth sounding that I haven't experienced any fatigue, the other night I didn't realize I've been listening for 8 hours straight until I came out of the room to get some water & saw a hint of daylight from the window.

Hope this helps & thanks for the kind words everyone! ;)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.