Need advice for Alpair 10p build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Am keeping a keen eye on FHXL developments. Though I've been looking at a FAST enclosure, the more I listen to the FH3 with A7.3, the more I like them. The drivers have about 200Hrs on them now and are beginning to sing beautifully. However, ultimately I'd like a lower frequency response than what the FH3 can achieve but not higher SPL ... ~30Hz would be nice :)

Dave, are the current FHXL's specific to the A10p or should they accept a broader range of drivers like the FH3? My personal preference would be for a metal coned driver, so A10.2 or 10.3.

Paul

Last edited:
I designed them for the 10P. The 10.3 will go in, the earlier Alpair 10 models will not work as well, nor will anything else. They will not provide flat output to 30Hz. This is a 5in wideband driver we are talking about, nor have I attempted to tune them so low. I didn't with FH3 either. There are too many compromises entailed in obtaining such LF extension in a back-horn while keeping enclosure size manageable.

Last edited:
Dear a3cervo,

You should do a Pensil 10p.

No one has documented a build of this yet, or shared detailed listening impressions, and I believe we are all suffering for it. The advancement of diy audio (and my own self interested curiosity) demand that this intriguing new driver and time tested enclosure design be explored, no matter the cost (to you) . If you have seen the recent documentary The Dark Knight Rises, you already know the kind of heroic altruism to which I am referring. The fate of our stereos rests in your hands, good sir.

Be our Batman.

Sincerely,
Soda

:)

Finally found the time to finish the enclosures. I went with the Pensils and after burning them in all I can say is WOW! I'm done with off the shelf speakers. These are the best sounding speakers I've ever owned.

And of course to Mr. Lindgren for the box design, hats off to you sir :cheers:

Thanks to Mark Fenlon & the rest of the guys at Mark Audio for creating high quality drivers and taking time to listen to DIYers. Here's a pic:

11414879166_4f8840a669_z.jpg

finishing is still a bit rough, will redo it when time permits.

11414873195_4660ac09b4_z.jpg

thanks for the help everyone.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.