Small open-baffle?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying to make me a small sound system, cheap but good sounding.
To keep costs down I wanted something low power (about 5W) and class AB. It is not difficult, a Google search will bring up dozens, or hundreds of designs, the point is that I'd rather not have feedback, at least globally, and this greatly complicates the search: there are very few designs without feedback.
After a few searches and questions ended up with a scheme that could be used, the problem is that the construction is not the most simple, requiring a few adjustments to what it would take to have, in addition to a multimeter, an Audio generator and an Oscilloscope, instruments are not always present in the workshops of the beginners.
It was already decided by that scheme, but I searched a bit more and ended up coming across this:

RJM Audio - Sapphire headphone amplifier

That's not what I was looking for, as it is a headphone amplifier and Class A, but how it can be can operate without global feedback. And that really interested me.
I thought maybe it could be modified to work how a small underpowered amplifier speaker, so I got in touch with the designer, the only risk he ran was to tell me no.
Mr. Richard Murdey turned out to be a person of great kindness and explained how to modify it according to my wishes. The result is in the attachment.
---
The next step is to find appropriate speakers, that's the reason for this post.
To keep costs down (and because I like) I thought of a full-range, without any filtering, not very large, in 8 Ohms and with good performance. Easy, bass reflex version of these:

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_components/pdf/FE126En.pdf

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_components/pdf/FE166En.pdf

That with 93-94dB sound pressure produced enough for a close listening ... the problem is that I do not like the sound 'box', I much prefer the sound of the open-baffle. What I look for is something like this:

5356447618_4baa9da2d6.jpg

Please, if anyone knows any open-baffle design, without filtering, with a speaker of 4 "-5" or up to 6 "(8" seems too big to listen close) and at least 90db, that puts here. Or if a designer can spend some time on how to design this, also please post it here.
It is a type of system that I think will be of interest to many people, for use with the computer, with your portable player, or a discman to be a small set of quality for little money. Even could be used to improve the sound of the TV.
It's a market niche that seems no one has addressed, there seems to be full-range of small size for use in open-baffle. If, for example, how companies as Burro Audio have a version of 5" from his Betsy K, the problem would be solved.
There is no preference of brand or model, I think there are some full-range for car audio that could serve. The shape does not matter, if there is a elliptical full-range suitable for an open-baffle, please also put here, after all are nothing new, was used years ago:

Dual HS 15 + P 44 Service

Thanks in advance to all.

Attachments

• RJM 5WSi.pdf
    25 KB · Views: 415
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Why are you using a headphone amp for speakers? If you want a nice class A with 5 watts, look at Nelson Pass ACA. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diyaudio-com-articles/214808-amp-camp-amp-1-a.html Easy to make and sounds great from what I hear folks say. A lot fewer components.

OB with such a small baffle will have absolutely no bass below 120 Hz, if that is OK for you then maybe pursue it. If you want bass go with a box like a folded MLTL or even a good BR. If you like the open sound of an OB maybe try a bipole speaker. Good luck. They do look very nice and cool though.

I'm trying to make me a small sound system, cheap but good sounding.
To keep costs down I wanted something low power (about 5W) and class AB. It is not difficult, a Google search will bring up dozens, or hundreds of designs, the point is that I'd rather not have feedback, at least globally, and this greatly complicates the search: there are very few designs without feedback.
After a few searches and questions ended up with a scheme that could be used, the problem is that the construction is not the most simple, requiring a few adjustments to what it would take to have, in addition to a multimeter, an Audio generator and an Oscilloscope, instruments are not always present in the workshops of the beginners.
It was already decided by that scheme, but I searched a bit more and ended up coming across this:

RJM Audio - Sapphire headphone amplifier

That's not what I was looking for, as it is a headphone amplifier and Class A, but how it can be can operate without global feedback. And that really interested me.
I thought maybe it could be modified to work how a small underpowered amplifier speaker, so I got in touch with the designer, the only risk he ran was to tell me no.
Mr. Richard Murdey turned out to be a person of great kindness and explained how to modify it according to my wishes. The result is in the attachment.
---
The next step is to find appropriate speakers, that's the reason for this post.
To keep costs down (and because I like) I thought of a full-range, without any filtering, not very large, in 8 Ohms and with good performance. Easy, bass reflex version of these:

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_components/pdf/FE126En.pdf

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_components/pdf/FE166En.pdf

That with 93-94dB sound pressure produced enough for a close listening ... the problem is that I do not like the sound 'box', I much prefer the sound of the open-baffle. What I look for is something like this:

5356447618_4baa9da2d6.jpg

Please, if anyone knows any open-baffle design, without filtering, with a speaker of 4 "-5" or up to 6 "(8" seems too big to listen close) and at least 90db, that puts here. Or if a designer can spend some time on how to design this, also please post it here.
It is a type of system that I think will be of interest to many people, for use with the computer, with your portable player, or a discman to be a small set of quality for little money. Even could be used to improve the sound of the TV.
It's a market niche that seems no one has addressed, there seems to be full-range of small size for use in open-baffle. If, for example, how companies as Burro Audio have a version of 5" from his Betsy K, the problem would be solved.
There is no preference of brand or model, I think there are some full-range for car audio that could serve. The shape does not matter, if there is a elliptical full-range suitable for an open-baffle, please also put here, after all are nothing new, was used years ago:

Dual HS 15 + P 44 Service

Thanks in advance to all.

Hello there :D. What speakers are you using that are in the back round now( Dayton Audio's?) Whats wrong with them and thier sound? The fostex fe126en would be a great choice but ,remeber its a very small driver. I would move up to a 6 1/2 or bigger so you can at least get some good sound. Mr. Jeff

Check this link out I hope it helps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCDR_PKk8FY.

hello all
---
Yes, I knew in Can Amp, but the work in class A is more expensive because it needs more power and large heatsinks. AB Class work is less demanding, maybe I can build the amp in a box of cookies.
About the lack of bass, I much prefer quality than quantity, and the sound of the open.baffle is the best.
Maybe can be use some small sides, and perhaps they can tune (as the LS3/5a) to appear to give more bass:
open_baffle.jpg

But for that measuring instruments are needed, knowledge and experience. Since I do not I have why ask for help.
---
I have no speaker, try to find one. I like the size would be about 5 ", if you know of any suitable design, please put it here for all to see.
---
Thanks to all

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Use a couple of CPU heatsinks with heat pipes and your heat problem is solved. For OB you want high Qts driver. Look at car audio 5 inch coax like Pioneer or Polk. Not cool sounding name like Fostex or Lowther but it will be high Qts and good for OB. Tang Band W5-1611sif is a very nice versatile 5 in driver.

Hello xrk971
The Can Amp are a very, very good amp and really cheap for the high quality that have. But are four cases: two amp and two supplys. If I build the Can Amp surely I use with this speakers:

Wild Burro Audio Labs - Fullrange Speaker Projects - Basic Open Baffle Design

But this are a 'main' system. What I desire are a small, secundary system, the amp can can be housed in a small case: the two channels and the supply, that can be located close to the PC.
For this I look for a small open baffles. I don't know as can be designed, I need a complete design, and, if possible, not very expensive.
I much prefer the sound of the open-baffle, I hope someone put here a suitable design, I really like the clear and airy sound of the open-baffle.
I've looked a bit online and have appeared hundreds of designs of boxes that could serve, even in kit, but first try to find some open-baflle.
Thanks to all

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Raul,
If you want a small fantastic sounding amp, and are not opposed to class D, look no further than the TI TPA3116D2. Until recently, we had to assemble the PCB's ourselves, but now you can buy it from eBay fully built for less than price of parts to build yourself. Check out the specs and it uses an easy to find 19V power supply brick. You can get 25 watts/ch at 0.1% THD, and from first hand experience, it sounds better than all my other amps (class A/B, class T), excellent detail on highs, great clarity, great bass extension. Folks who have tube amps, say this sounds better than their tube amps and has a tube-like quality. Although the Chinese mass-produced eBay version has not yet been auditioned by folks on this forum yet, for $24 shipping included - you can't go wrong. They use a 22 uH inductor, it may sound better with a higher current 10 uH inductor per factory recommended specs. But for your desktop OB use, 2 amps of current to the driver is more than enough I think. 1pc TPA3116 Class D 2 50W Amp Kit Amplifier DIY Assembled Board | eBay
$T2eC16dHJIQFHHIO9sHoBR3-HYgCgQ~~60_35.JPG

25 watts should be more than enough for any desktop mini open baffle needs.

Another option is to go with a TI TPA3122D2 class D amp (http://www.jerryselectronics.com/diykits/kaa03021/kaa03021.htm), good for 15 watts/ch. Cervelorider (Fleawatt - FLEAWATT) uses it to power his Wild Burro Betsy OB's.

Last edited:
Hello xrk971,
Thank you very much! The FR13-4 seems very adecuated. But as are 4 Ohms, I recommend use BD131/132 in place of the BD139/140, and use a more big transformer.
Please, if anyone has any open-baffle design with Visaton FR13-4 post it here.
---
With Tripath chips, never like.
Regards

Assuming a baffle of 20 cm width and 30 cm height. FR13 at 20 cm height with 3 cm offset from middle of baffle, would lead to these results in simulation:

FR13 response.gif
The OB is sitting on the desk. With the coil and resistor from the third picture the response looks promising down to 100 Hz. But look at the power response at Xlin:
FR13 power.gif
It already drops off below 200 Hz.
FR13 circuit.gif
Last not least the response in some directions:
FR13 directions.gif
Simulations done with Boxsim.

Rudolf

Hello Rudolf, thank you very much.
50x50cm are too big, so dón't use the filter as I say don't seems a good idea.
If I use two speakers per baffle, as suggested xrk971, the second can be from 10cm from below of the baffle with the same offset? The filter surely also need change the values?
Anticipated thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.