What to do with one spare Alpair 10.3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I will most probably have one single Mark Audio Alpair 10.3 (Grey) left over from a build of x7 bookshelf speakers.

My System is 50/50 music/movies, although the projector for which I use sits on the hi-fi and fires onto the other wall, with the speakers firing from behind, so not ideal, adding a centre speakers would seem silly unless I had it beneath the screen, which isn't that feasible.

I guess I could buy a second and make a pair of speakers, but before I do, any bright ideas for one single (amazing) full range driver.

So far I can think of a centre speaker,

Perhaps making a small bedroom radio/iphone dock

Some omni experiment?

Anyone else had any brainwaves for those odd left overs.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Make a nice high fidelity mono table radio or iPod dock. Use the Karlsonator cabinet - that thing has great bass, natural sounding, and very broad directivity. Check out the Mini Karlsonator thread, I can run sim for you with A10 - it will probably make a nice compact cabinet. You will need a summing opamp to get stereo to combine to mono.

Yeah, I even have a redundant Raspberry Pi (can airplay to it) And a spare Class T-amp (sounds rubbish with the revealing alpairs though)

Could try and marry something inbetween this by Davone

mojofront.jpg

And this Dieter Rams inspired design

2.jpg

I went mono for main listening over a year ago. I'm only sorry I didn't realize the benefits earlier. I now find most stereo very false sounding, variable between sources and more demanding of room layout and seating. The only place I have stereo now is my computer since it's easy to control seating etc. but for my main music pleasure I find mono the best. Of course, for home theatre I have all the speakers but that's a different kettle of fish.

Rather than find a way to use up your spare driver why not 'aim high' and try and make the best quality mono system that you can. My thoughts would be MLTL (no particular design in mind) or open baffle. When you only have to make one of everything you can lavish a bit more attention to it.

Pair it with a really good amplifier - perhaps a triode.

Last edited:
Any plans for a centre speaker with a low cut off?

I'm, thinking of making something simlilar to the B&W Zepplin, but with a baffle of solid wood. I think it could look stunning. Hide a Raspberry Pi in there and have some small chip amp or valve monoblock.

BW_Zeppelin.jpg

So any great designs that would work?

Ive found these 5" Tangband subs on eBay for £14ea

Tangband W5-876SD

I was thinking use the dsp and have two (maybe three?) of these to handle the lower frequency, and have the Alpair in a sealed enclosure.

Just need some nice ideas for cabinet shape.

Im keen to use the CNC machine to make sexy curved back panels and have a solid shaped baffle ala Zeppelin

Or square it off and make it more danish modern, Dieter Rams esc.

So here is the plan.

Raspberry Pi, (running xbmc or perhaps raspberryFi) - Mini Digi - Mini DSP - Mini Amp.

1 Alpair 10.3 in some sort of cabinet, and perhaps a small long through woofer or two.

You'll need a USB to TOSLINK/SPDIF DAC or similar to sit between the Pi and the miniDigi.

Sounds like a fun project. Is the sub really necessary with the A10? They had no trouble making bass in all the enclosures I have heard them in (P10 designs). I suppose it depends on the space and your tastes.

Kyle

Last edited:
How does the A10 model in a sealed box? Is there a savings in volume that can be put towards a support woofer?

KM

that's a question for the measurement / modeling guys, put I can say that the 10.3s don't go as low as the 10.2s

probably moot though as most XOs to support woofer I've seen for such set-ups have been well above (octave or more) the beginning of wide-band driver's roll-off

I thought I could do optical out from the Pi into the minidigi.

Slightly OT but there's a great looking single-board-computer in the works called the Cubbie Truck: Link . The company already has a similar board in production and this is a larger and better equipped version featuring a Optical output and a SATA connection for a hard drive. Looks like it'd be a really good candidate for a music server.

KM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.