What to do with one spare Alpair 10.3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Alpair 10.3 with the silver metal cone...

No real size restraints, needs to be able to fit on top of a fridge.

If you could use two woofers, how would you best arrange them.

I want this to sound great, but is definitely an exercise in aesthetics as well, and so don't mind making some compromisses.

Hmm, so the mini amp, can either do;

- 2 ch mode @20W each under 8ohms and in Bridge Tied Load (BTL) mode
- 4 ch mode @10W each under 4ohms and in Single Ended (SE) mode
- 2.1 mode with 2 ch @10W (SE/4ohm) and 1 ch @ 20W (BTL/8ohms)

@2 channel: is this the best? Alpair and one helper woofer (both 20w)

@4ch: is 10w' s too little for a sub output? maybe get three woofers with all channels at 10w?

@2.1 anyway to wire this so it could work?

I suppose that the Alpair could be the .1 and then the woofers could be in stereo but then you're limited to 10w/channel on the miniAMP for them. If had another amplifier you could power them with that.

Using the 20+20w BTL mode and a single woofer sounded like a good option but then you'd have to see if you can get the system running mono to both outputs. Not sure if this can be done. You might have to pose this to the folks in the miniDSP forum!

KM

Jumpers were set wrong.

Up and running, seems to be fine and plenty loud enough for the Alpair 7.3, will test the woofer in a cabinet soon.

Just need to get an airport express for wireless audio (or similar?)

While the AEX is a cheap enough device (particularly if you want wireless printed as well ;)) but the built in DAC isn't the best around - if you go that route, you'd probably want to use any cheap optical DAC or Toslink/USB converter solution.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Anyone tried Alpair sealed?

Best cabinet size?

A10.2 has been used sealed (with woofers).

Sealed size is not super critical. I'd suggest 7-10 litres with some damping.

dave

Attachments

• Alpair103M-sealed.gif
    Alpair103M-sealed.gif
    36.4 KB · Views: 117
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.