Accidental MLTL Technique - Page 22 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th July 2013, 01:27 PM   #211
jhutka is offline jhutka  United States
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your info and time. You've helped a lot. If nothing else, I need to get AkAbak running. Also, I don't have the knowledge to tweak things. Where I am right now, I cannot see data on a graph and know which dimensions to change to make it better. My linux system is in a room we are currently using for storage as we change the flooring in other rooms. So, no advancement on the AkAbak front.

Thanks again for the effort. What I love about this forum is very knowledgeable people who are willing to help.

JHutka
Old 14th July 2013, 03:14 PM   #212
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

You are welcome. The tweak I would make is to reduce the depth of your design from 6 in to 3.5 in and shorten the vent to 4.5 in. That should help a lot.
Old 14th July 2013, 09:43 PM   #213
diyAudio Member

Will do. Will have the sketches done tonight.
Old 15th July 2013, 03:25 AM   #214
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutka View Post
Vent - 1.5in X 5in X 8.25in
FYI, there’s an elbow in the vent, so its considerably longer than 8.25”.

FWIW, I checked this driver out when ya'll started showing some interest awhile back and since it has a similar path-length, I adapted it to your’s o.d. dims, driver/floor distance and it came out something like this:

GM
Old 15th July 2013, 09:12 AM   #215
diyAudio Member

Yes, I modeled the 'elbow' in AkAbak - as a contraction in CSA from main area then as a duct with dimensions of 1.5 x 8.25 in. But it does add some equivalent length beyond the nominal 40 in TL length. When going to the shorter 4.5 in vent, the elbow is removed.
Old 16th July 2013, 12:01 AM   #216
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

??? I haven't yet done any AkAbak designing, but if I understand you correctly, the vent is somewhat longer acoustically than you indicate and as you can see from my adaptation, don't see any point in having such a large, long vent for even two of this driver since the TL is already long enough.

GM
Old 16th July 2013, 07:06 AM   #217
diyAudio Member

I just meant that in my sim of design 'as drawn' I included the effect of that extended lip formed by the top edge of the shelf vent, which I thought you referred to as an elbow. Yes, the vent is way too long hence the spikey bass peak followed by a sag in response was there in the sim (when modeled without damping). That is why the optimized model ended up with a vent only almost half as long.
Old 16th July 2013, 05:03 PM   #218
diyAudio Member

Took your suggestions.
Changed to 1/2" material. Everything seemed to fit better.

Here are the plans.

Thanks XRK.
JH
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MLTL Vifa TC9FD18-08HFIN.pdf (41.2 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by jhutka; 16th July 2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 16th July 2013, 05:45 PM   #219
diyAudio Member

JHutka,
Plans look great! I look forward to seeing the build and hearing from you how it sounds. By the way, it looks like you are a fan of the Vifa driver so you may be interested in the mini Karlsonator that I built with dual TC9FD's - it's in the Foam Core thread (Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?) - awesome sounding speaker that is 8 wide x 8.5 deep x 15 in tall.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by xrk971; 16th July 2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 28th August 2013, 03:27 PM   #220
diyAudio Member

Default Big 12 in coaxial driver AMLTL

Is this a reasonable frequency response for a 12 in driver? I used AMLTL method to size the vents. This design is for an off-spec Eminence Beta 12CX with a higher Qts 0f 0.63 - which makes the cabinet huge. The design ended up as a 22.5 in wide x 22.5 in deep x 56.5 in tall tower. Using 3/4 in ply should make this a 2x2 ft x 5 ft tall tower - almost a refrigerator size .
The driver is at 14 in from the top and the qnty 4, 4 in dia x 4.0 in long vents are located at 8 in from the bottom and one on each wall.
Attached Images
File Type: png AMLTL-Beta12CX-Freq-1m.png (22.7 KB, 429 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!