WAF and speaker design choices

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I will be renovating my living room this spring and planned on building two set of speakers for the room. One was a the Maeshowe cabinets with the EL70 Fullrange speakers. The second was supposed to be a 2way using the Seas Millenuim tweeter and ScanSpeak Revelator 18w mids. I have all these speakers already and have purchased the Mashowe design.

Tonight I took my wife and kids out to dinner and I mentioned that I would be putting two set of speakers (not small ones) in our living room. Not to go into to detail, but suffice it to say I will only be putting one pair of speakers in our living room. LOL!
With the speakers I've mentioned above, what options would you all suggest? I've considered selling the Scans and Seas and just use the Fullrange. I've considered using the scan and Fullrange (dipole) and selling the tweeters and finally selling the EL70 Fullrange and use the 2way only.
All the speakers are new and never used.

I know this isn't specifically a Fullrange question, but because the EL70 was involved, I asked you guys.

Thanks

Perhaps you could make her real happy and think about an in-wall design. She wouldn't have to see the enclosures and if you are redoing the room you can open up the wall and hide the enclosure. Then perhaps you could get away with the second set of speakers for a rear channel. Just a thought.

I think you can do a high WAF, nice sounding full range speaker with your CSS EL70's, maybe a TQWT or TL configuration. You can compromise in the width by making the cabinet taller and or deeper. If your woodworking skills are not up to par, you can always have a cabinet maker make them for you, or cut the wood for you; there are also CNC shops that can do that. You can round the edges with a router, or have cabinet maker or CNC shop do it. That way you have a nice termination that the wife will like. As for color, there are many choices. I know how to cut, and recently started to practice and learn with my router, but when it comes to stain and varnishing I hate how time consuming it is. For my next wood cabinets, if large, I will take to the body shop of a friend and paint with car paint (hundreds of choices), and then clearcoat with a few coats.

The size and shape of the cabinet isn't really an issue. It's just that my wife would prefer I had one set of speakers in the living room rather than two. I'm just going to sell off what I don't use. I tend to collect audio gear that never seems to get used and it just sits in boxes around the house. Ive already sold a bunch of gear and this is the best of whats left. So my decision is picking from the speakers I have and what arrangement would be best for them.

I have a woodshop on the back of my property, so construction isn't an issue.

Thanks for the input so far

The size and shape of the cabinet isn't really an issue. It's just that my wife would prefer I had one set of speakers in the living room rather than two. I'm just going to sell off what I don't use. I tend to collect audio gear that never seems to get used and it just sits in boxes around the house. Ive already sold a bunch of gear and this is the best of whats left. So my decision is picking from the speakers I have and what arrangement would be best for them.

I have a woodshop on the back of my property, so construction isn't an issue.

Thanks for the input so far

How about a bookshelf and a floorstand pair? I would do a 2-Way bookshelf, and a full range floorstand. A nice pair of stands will complement any decor. Though bulky, see how this stands are coming along.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
FozzZ,

I can relate (as I think we all can).

I've got a pair of MA Alpair 10.2 sitting in boxes and after endless flip-flopping between various designs I finally decided that Silbury would be the one for me (my friend chickened out on them so I thought I would take the plunge instead).

Of course, as soon as I decided that and started to get really excited about it... WAF kicked in. "I don't want big tall things blocking our view. It would look stupid".

Back to the drawing board. Now I am thinking open baffle 10.2s on top of 15" woofers in H-frames, like Mr. Jim Griffin put together...

Most of the time wives just don't want a large cabinet just sitting in the room. The trick is to make them look like they belong there, they go with the rest of the furniture, or they are hidden some how. A rear channel could be up in the corners for surround, not necessarily on the floor. I even thought how about a totem pole design, but that is just the designer in me. If you didn't have a brick wall I would have built the enclosures into the walls, that make integration into the room simpler as you don't have to worry about the front wall reflections that way. I have built down firing sub enclosures that look like an end table with a wooden top you could put a lamp on. Creativity is the key, square boxes are just simple, not necessarily an ideal enclosure shape anyway.

FozzZ,

I can relate (as I think we all can).

I've got a pair of MA Alpair 10.2 sitting in boxes and after endless flip-flopping between various designs I finally decided that Silbury would be the one for me (my friend chickened out on them so I thought I would take the plunge instead).

Of course, as soon as I decided that and started to get really excited about it... WAF kicked in. "I don't want big tall things blocking our view. It would look stupid".

Back to the drawing board. Now I am thinking open baffle 10.2s on top of 15" woofers in H-frames, like Mr. Jim Griffin put together...

Having had my own fair share of experience with WAF, I'd opine that if the Silbury failed to pass muster, that an H-Frame/OB combo wouldn't fare much better. IMO long term domestic acceptance is an often overlooked / under-rated factor in the overall calculus of enjoyment of audio systems to be used in "shared/family spaces". Few of us have spouses as accepting of clutter of obtrusive & redundant speakers as mr Dlugos, for example, or dedicated man-caves in which anything goes.

All that as a preamble to the suggestion to consider either the Pensil or Brines' M10-A10 enclosure for the A10.2. I think it's about as wife friendly a conventional enclosure as one could find that allows this driver to demonstrate its substantial LF response.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Chris asked me to post this to show the relative size of the Brines-based A10.2 ML_TL (in the middle)

Bernie-family.jpeg

dave

Boxes, boxes, everywhere boxes and not a curved panel anywhere! One thing to remember is people just love to stick their nasty little fingers into cones that are visible and that is one of the things that turns off the wives. Grill cloth protects our hard work and makes the wife happy, you can always take the grills off when you are listening. More dome tweeters and dust caps are ruined because there are no grills.

ps. nice woodwork even if they are square by the way.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Having had my own fair share of experience with WAF, I'd opine that if the Silbury failed to pass muster, that an H-Frame/OB combo wouldn't fare much better. IMO long term domestic acceptance is an often overlooked / under-rated factor in the overall calculus of enjoyment of audio systems to be used in "shared/family spaces". Few of us have spouses as accepting of clutter of obtrusive & redundant speakers as mr Dlugos, for example, or dedicated man-caves in which anything goes.

All that as a preamble to the suggestion to consider either the Pensil or Brines' M10-A10 enclosure for the A10.2. I think it's about as wife friendly a conventional enclosure as one could find that allows this driver to demonstrate its substantial LF response.

I sort of anticipated this advice. Indeed, OB/H-frames, can be ugly. :)

Knowing this, my response to her "not those tall things" comment was "What about short and fat?"

Her response: "That would be better, but I'd have to see them first."

She's actually a fairly tolerant person. She just doesn't want the view from our picture window obscured. To be honest, she has a point. We have a wonderful view of an adjacent mountain...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

(Yes, I typically close the (fabric) blinds at least behind the speakers while listening)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.