WAF and speaker design choices

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Boxes, boxes, everywhere boxes and not a curved panel anywhere! One thing to remember is people just love to stick their nasty little fingers into cones that are visible and that is one of the things that turns off the wives. Grill cloth protects our hard work and makes the wife happy, you can always take the grills off when you are listening. More dome tweeters and dust caps are ruined because there are no grills.

ps. nice woodwork even if they are square by the way.

Compound Curves anyone?

323295d1357966447-fh3-inspired-foam-core-mini-build-foam-fh3i-01.jpg

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Unfortunately, I think Ian & Rachel are sold out on the I-25, but their site still shows a few of the I-12 ( EL84) on hand - at a steal price of $400

Yes. That is the case. Not quite as hot of a deal as the I-25 for $400, but from what I have read the I-12 is a damned fine amp and $400 is still a really great deal, IMO. Especially when you consider the price includes shipping!

For a while, they also had the Psvane TS66, which is basically the same amp as the I-25 except for cosmetic differences, on sale for $400 as well. It appears as though they are sold out now too.

So, it looks like the I-12 is currently the best deal going. I have been tempted to buy one just because it is such a great deal, and I think it would be fun to compare to the I-25. But I must resist.

I just bought the I-12 for $400 including shipping from them and it arrived in less than a week! It looks very well made and weighs a ton, but I haven't given it a critical listening yet.....I will put many hours on it this weekend....seemed like too good a deal to pass up.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I just bought the I-12 for $400 including shipping from them and it arrived in less than a week! It looks very well made and weighs a ton, but I haven't given it a critical listening yet.....I will put many hours on it this weekend....seemed like too good a deal to pass up.

Congrats!

Indeed. Ridiculous deal!

As you likely know, give it some time to break in. Very interested to hear your thoughts on it.

Yes. That is the case. Not quite as hot of a deal as the I-25 for $400, but from what I have read the I-12 is a damned fine amp and $400 is still a really great deal, IMO. Especially when you consider the price includes shipping!

For a while, they also had the Psvane TS66, which is basically the same amp as the I-25 except for cosmetic differences, on sale for $400 as well. It appears as though they are sold out now too.

So, it looks like the I-12 is currently the best deal going. I have been tempted to buy one just because it is such a great deal, and I think it would be fun to compare to the I-25. But I must resist.

CT - why resist? - a guy can't have too many tube amps or speakers

oh, I stand corrected, 40yrs of programming by my much better half has proven to be successful after all - not only would a redundancy of audio gear be financially imprudent, but it throws the whole Zen/ Feng Shui thing out of kilter as well :) - less than you want is more than you need? ( actually at over 60yrs that applies to other areas of domestic life as well )

all kidding aside, except when the extra few dB of power is absolutely necessary, I've tended to prefer the EL84 over 34s in most every configuration in which I've heard them (and that's been a few)

now if Shuguang / Psvanne had a 2A3 P/P, caution be damned , I'd be first on the list

Joined 2011
Paid Member
CT - why resist? - a guy can't have too many tube amps or speakers

oh, I stand corrected, 40yrs of programming by my much better half has proven to be successful after all - not only would a redundancy of audio gear be financially imprudent, but it throws the whole Zen/ Feng Shui thing out of kilter as well :) - less than you want is more than you need? ( actually at over 60yrs that applies to other areas of domestic life as well )

all kidding aside, except when the extra few dB of power is absolutely necessary, I've tended to prefer the EL84 over 34s in most every configuration in which I've heard them (and that's been a few)

now if Shuguang / Psvanne had a 2A3 P/P, caution be damned , I'd be first on the list

Hmmm...

If I had the cash, I would love to try the Shuguang-Classic-S300MK.

But the I-25 is so much better than what I was used to that I'm not really lusting after anything new at this point. The I-12 is tempting simply because I am such a frugal SOB (which seems odd, for someone frugal to want to buy something they don't need just because it is a good deal). I think I would have fun with it and then pass the good deal onto a friend. The risk, of course, is that I would love it too much and it would go into the bedroom system.

Also, if I want to change (possibly improve) the sound of my amp then I can tweak it with tubes, different caps, etc. I've already got a shedload of tubes for it and, in true DIY fashion, I have even added a supplementary, higher amperage filament transformer which allows me to run some 12BH7 in the 12AU7 sockets. The difference is very pleasantly obvious.

Last edited:
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
i personaly do not have waf problem, do not have waf...
but nice waf friendly system would be satelites + subwoofer
satelites only need to cover 180Hz and up, so simple 4-6" fullrange would do in small box (or nice 2-way bookshelf)
subwoofer can be big, and can serve as tv stand or just as cabinet in the corner, however, it has to look like furniture, idealy you buy furniture with subwoofer in mind and put two woofers in...and there you have it

Last edited:
I'll report on 1-12 after this weekend (it only has 3hr playing under its belt)....I'm looking forward to it....from what I know now, its a gorgeous, robust piece of metal but will put it through the hoops w/ a deci (Mar?) cab MA A7.2

,,,probably best to post my reply in the original amp thread by Cogitech,

Mario

PS...also psyched right now as I finally trouble-shooted (shot?) a noisy Bottlehead 2A3 monoblock that I had been putting off for a year and a half. The first thing I saw was it -- a disconnected solder joint on the hum pot...how often is it that easy?

For me, the best ever, lowest fix-it-time / time having procrastinated ratio payoff yet....!

BTW, getting back to WAF, I have abandoned the idea of OB + H (for now) and decided to do Pensil 10.2.

I've been over-analyzing this forever, but decided that using the KISS principle will cost me less and earn me a few more kisses. ;)

LOL...Been down that road before, made a 3/4" Plywood x 24" wide x 40" tall OB with 15" Pio CS woofers, 8" SABA Greencone Mid, and 1-1/2" x 3" Oval paper tweeter. Placed them in the living room to test with my tube equipment, next thing I know someone is screaming louder than the speakers. It was the wife complaining about those "monsters". Moved them to the HT room, more screaming...They ended up at my cousin's house, who has an audio man cave to do as he wish.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.