FH3 Vs. DTB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, its been a while, but....Its Christmas, aka. 'Project Time'.

With the advent of a dedicated room for fettling stuff in, so has the need for a suitable pair of speakers to put in it. Our-Phil (Pre-65) kindly loaned me his MDF FH3's as a stop gap, approx 10 months later I'm finally getting around to building a pair for myself.

I like working with Ply, so I'll be making a pair in 18mm BP. I've had a quick browse around at piccies of other fella's constructions and like the little 'top hat' piece seen on these...
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

...and I think that rebated stylee would look good in simple ply too. I want to go one step furthur (....'on the bus...' :) ) and rebate the complete front panel into the side/top/and base parts. That way I'll have a nice 6mm 'frame' of yummy ply all the way around the front baffle giving them a nice finish (IMO!), which is nice as I don't want/like veneered or painted speakers as much as hot-n-saucy nekkid ply!!!

This morning is cut plan and measuring time.

Hopefully pick up some nice BP this afternoon and get it cut accurately then its orf darn the shed for rest of the holiday period.

Whahey!

DTB

Finished!

I've gone for a more organic look....
CIMG3381.jpg

Hahaha (etc).

So after a lot of planning, head scratching and adding up and taking-away to accommodate the rebated-ness (good word that)....
CIMG3382.jpg

...I went and got a lovely sheet of 18mm cut today.

...." the professionals choice...as recommended by people with thumbs"
CIMG3384.jpg

1st job was to jig and rout the bases. I've gone for and 8mm 'frame cos it looks more balanced IMO.
CIMG3386.jpg

Full safety gear natch, plus I have to wear glasses which is a recent pain in the botty but at least I can see what I'm cutting/routing thesedays... which is nice.
CIMG3385.jpg

At the end of todays play we have a grand total of 2 bases made.
CIMG3387.jpg

More dust as its made.

DTB

Today started with 'Nard in the groove and me routin' a groove...
CIMG3388.jpg

I've made 2 experimental tops so I can practise getting the 4.8 degree angle nice.

I did a temp lash up to check maths work was correct and the internal dimensions were correct, bang on, huzah. Then I worked on the baffle angle I needed to cut on the side panels...
CIMG3389.jpg

...and at the end of play today have 2 side panels cut out of 4 total and a pair of neatly routed top panels.
CIMG3392.jpg

Doesn't look it but a lot of accurate progress was made today. More dust manufacturing tomorrow.

DTB

So today,and accompanied by Stevie Wonder's 'golden period' albums, I drew out the 69" radius for the rear horn profile. Having transferred that shape I made up a 'master' panel by which all other panels will be cut from (knowing that the master is bang-on size and angle-wise).

Master and Minion.
CIMG3393_zps5f9a64de.jpg

Cheese and Onion.
seabrook-crisps-cheese-onion-68Z67688_2.jpg

Just checking everyone's still awake :)

Next I jig sawed the approx curve....
CIMG3396_zps8724d2f5.jpg

...and then, using a newly purchased Trimmer and follower bit I started electro-whittling....
CIMG3397_zpse2cc8236.jpg

Whahey! A clone!
CIMG3398_zps15eeacbe.jpg

After a few more 18mm x 10mm deep routs we have the shape of a nearly free standing FH3....
CIMG3402_zps8902c5c5.jpg

...with a saucy rebate where the baffle will go.
CIMG3403_zps3693fa06.jpg

Its twin brother will be birthed tomorrow from these...
CIMG3404_zps490fb1c2.jpg

Once I have attempted to empty some of these...
CIMG3405_zps86438280.jpg

Cheers! :)

DTB

Geeze, you make that look easy

for me it's

images

or

vickie.jpg

(OK, both actually)

This I never saw before, and just about snorted out my coffee:

http://files.newswire.ca/29/WinePairings.pdf

but for serious evening consumption (like after the 3HP router is put to bed) , my favorite pairing would need to be:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

who needs all those epithelial or liver cells anyway?

SeaBrooks Crisps for me, love 'em. Too much some would say when they look at my tum tum!

I hope you enjoy the little horns Dave

I have been Chris, I really like what the 126 does in that little 'orn. I've had a MDF pair on loan from a chum on Audio-Talk for about 10 months. I really felt the time had come to build a pair for myself so I can release the borrowed pair back into the wilds of Essex where they came from.

Onwards! To the shed!

DTB

So...
"At the close of trading today we can see that although over all output is down on yesterdays FTSE index ...
CIMG3411_zpsca4fa299.jpg

...accuracy has continued to rally after a brief stalling due to 'market-driven-baffle-angle issues".
CIMG3410_zps09cce000.jpg

Doesn't look like much as been done to today but the 2nd set of side panels have been accu-routed and 2 x baffles have been uber-carefully profiled and fettled (not bodged!).

Another day, another playlist, another bucket o'dust.

DTB

You know the day is going to be great when this is blasting/playing at 10.30am (or you've fallen into the Electrik Gypsy's tent at a festival in the 80's)...
CIMG3417_zps0790cdde.jpg

whilst clearing up the dust of yesterday (so poetic)...
CIMG3418_zps5c371fdd.jpg

This is how I did that trixy angle on the top and bottom of the baffle, 2nd time around it was a lot easier...
CIMG3420_zps6a13f8fa.jpg

Inelegant engineering or a 'functional' solution?
CIMG3422_zps8bfcb651.jpg

Baffle fettling commenced today...
CIMG3426_zpscaab383e.jpg

Oblig chamfer detail...
CIMG3425_zps291cc736.jpg

This will fill that hole in nicely...
CIMG3427_zpsc023f176.jpg

I'll hacksaw this bit off the back though...
CIMG3429_zps9c940223.jpg

Kidding.

Its been a big day for the 2 likkle speaker cabs, time for a lay down, in preparation for fun with gloo tomorrow.
CIMG3432_zps948a5692.jpg

DTB

Thanks Mr Bond, I was going to do just a very basic clear satin varnish. Nuthin' fancy-pants! Our house has lots of nekkid exposed wood and the simpler finsh blends in really well IMO. I built a pair of Saburo's a few years back and they still look great in their basic finish in the main listening room.

Last time I hacksawed off the back of them metal thingys loadsa music fell out all over the floor..... :) I'll put a bucket underneath this time. Ha!

DTB

Last edited:
You know its going to be a good day when you start it off with...
CIMG3436_zps66d393b1.jpg

1st job was to glue on both bases and let them set properly before doing anything else.
CIMG3437_zps89b813dd.jpg

Both cabs get shifted indoors to help the drying process plus it creates more elbow room down the shed. Not that I have overly large elbows you understand.

Next up was making the internal panels and the little half round piece that goes in the bottom joint where the 2 panels meet, I made them on the belt sander from an off cut of tree wood (the best sort y'know)...
CIMG3438_zps44c08153.jpg

With the base parts set I could crack on with a bit more gluing, inner panel + Half round plus the baffle.

Nurse! The clamps!!!
CIMG3439_zps9d481e79.jpg

Schweet, everything lines up and is true, hooray.
CIMG3440_zps38ecd9a6.jpg

Second panel needs a clone making for the other cab when which is drying indoors right now. Baffle on 2nd cab will get glued and clamped. Need to get some fluffy-stuff too so maybe a trip up to Dunelm Mills?
CIMG3441_zps8b1e2308.jpg

Getting there, slowly.

DTB

Very little done yesterday except gluing the 2nd baffle into place. Train trip up Lundun enjoying the nice weather, mega walk zigzagging over the bridges and then a few pints of Wherry and an ace Thai meal. Whahey.

So, this morning off came the clamps and,hey Tesco, 2 nekkid FH3's.
CIMG3442_zpsf496d08b.jpg

Next up was to glue in the back internal panel...
CIMG3443_zps92544612.jpg

and thus...
CIMG3446_zpsf8fe8f78.jpg

And once that was rigid it was time for the mega-glue sesh! Clamps a go-go!
CIMG3447_zps240424ef.jpg

and...
CIMG3449_zps162350e7.jpg

Whilst that little lot was drying a made up the last internal panel and glued that in...
CIMG3455_zps54797276.jpg

Then whilst all that lot was drying off I popped out to by a big bag of hollowfibre wadding/stuffing acousty-fluff-stuff and got a bit of Wool felt out the loft in preparation for lining the cabs.

After a good while I strapped up the 1st cab with 2 x box clamps...
CIMG3456_zps9802fd8c.jpg

...and set-to on the 2nd mega glue up session of the day...
CIMG3458_zps266b7e8d.jpg

Thats it for now.

Knackered. Time for booze :)

DTB

Very little done yesterday except gluing the 2nd baffle into place. Train trip up Lundun enjoying the nice weather, mega walk zigzagging over the bridges and then a few pints of Wherry and an ace Thai meal. Whahey.

Nice one Dave. You are clearly a man who has his priorities right. :D

I love London. Need to get back down again soon. It's been a good three months since I was last there.

Oh -the build. Looking good BTW.

I love London. Need to get back down again soon. It's been a good three months since I was last there.

Yup's, I've worked up there most of my life but still enjoy going into 'Tourist-mode' every so often, walking is a great way to see Lunnun Riverfront.

If you fancy a meet up when you're down again let me know Scott. I'm based at Holborn, smack bang in the middle.

DTB

Yup's, I've worked up there most of my life but still enjoy going into 'Tourist-mode' every so often, walking is a great way to see Lunnun Riverfront.

If you fancy a meet up when you're down again let me know Scott. I'm based at Holborn, smack bang in the middle.

DTB

maybe you boys should get a room - under assumed names of course ;)

nice build Dave - I'd venture a good-natured jibe, but so much could get lost in the translation from Canuck to Brit, and I sure as fork wouldn't want to insult anyone's constructionary skill set

well, actually that's not entirely true, now isit mr Jackal?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.