Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

Another thing of beauty. My BIL has done his 20" spirals and the Aura NS3 drivers arrived yesterday so it won't be long before he has them up and running.

Attachments

• 20%22 spiral.jpg
    20%22 spiral.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 903
Yes, those are the original ones he just winged. He didn't have the pattern at the time but wanted to get going so he just threw them together as he saw fit.

While he is a computer guy, English is not his first language and he might be conscious of that.

I know one thing, he's hooked. This is his Christmas present from me. I don't normally do Christmas presents but when he showed an interest, I was very happy so I got him 25 sheets of board, an extra glue gun, the plans and the drivers. Sometimes people show an interest while you're there but that fades when you leave. Not this time. :D

I got a little carried away last night. While the cat was away, I decided to push my luck a little. I had been talking music with the captain (Morgan) so I was feeling no pain and wanted to see what happens when you let the volume control slip a bit. I am running the Tascam 30 watt mini PA amp. The drivers are the CSS VWR126's with a big ol' choke and the JVC white cones with a 50 µfd cap.

They did not disappoint. They held their own like you would expect a party speaker to do. Lots 'o' bass and the highs were nicely controlled like you hope to get from a small driver. Not sure you could call this a FAST system but why not? I had those little drivers just a pumpin' and this morning my ears were still ringing.

Yes, I was surprised, yes I was stupid to push the expensive CSS drivers like that but what the hey, they handle a lot more than I was putting into them and I was sitting there with a big audio woody once again.

Thanks X, there's a lot of fun to be had here. :D

Attachments

• IMG_1201.jpg
    IMG_1201.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 818
Six horn Cornu on the way.
I started the inner spiral with 1/16 inch white cardboard to keep the throats as large as possible. This will be a bit tricky when gluing on the cover plywood sheet. Wonder if I can get the glue on all the spiral arms before it starts setting up.
I used Phenoseal adhesive caulk.
second_rear_layer_complete_1.jpg

Nice job so far glowglass.

Cal,
I can see lots of patchwork on the 20's - your try out new drivers cabinets. What size inductor are you using on the 27 inchers?

The Fostex FF125 are back in the big boxes, the CSS 126 are back on the shelf and the 20" have had the patchwork partially removed, the driver hole filled then a full sized piece of foam over the whole thing so it is 3 layers thick now. The other side will have a full sized piece of wood and will become the new baffle for the JVC drivers. I want to hear what become of the other experiments to determine exactly what to do with the CSS 126's and the small LG drivers that I like so much.

Catch all that? :)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Glowglass,
What you are doing is truly out of the box and it looks fantastic! To think there are going to be two layers to this horn. Wow this thing will be awesome. Love what you did with the cardboard inside. You may want to reinforce middle chamber with some threaded rods and sleeves to give more strength to thin cardboard area. I can't wait to see this completed and your first sound. Great handywork and attention to detail. Very nice!

On second thought, you don't need fancy threaded rod. Just some wooden dowels glued in place inside the driver chamber near the edges should do the trick.

Last edited: