Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

Giuseppe,
You are one of the lucky ones who has such a nice driver. The Eikona's are very special drivers that deserve a special Cornu. If you want to fully utilize the Eikona's capabilities, I recommend an extra large but thin Cornu that is 34 in x 4 in deep - that will give deep bass extension down to mid 40 Hz while keeping the sound balanced. Because of the large size, I recommend you make the front and back out of thin 5 mm plywood and use foam core for just the channels so that they can be curved and glued. Use stuffing in the main driver chamber and loosely stuffed in the horn channels leading from the throat to the bifurcation point. Put the stuffing in a porous cheesecloth "sock" with a string tied to it on both ends so you can pull it out to adjust amount of stuffing inside the sock, and pull it back into position.

Here are the results of the simulation for SPL vs Freq, Impedance, Cone Excursion.

It is important to mount it on a wall at the correct optimal height of 45 inches from the floor (adjust to taste but start there).

Good luck!

Cheers,
X

Thousand Thanks, XRK971, your words help me a lot.
34 inch is a little big for the wall they are intended to stay, but think will do something between 30 and 34 inch.

And thanks for the plywood suggestion.

Now I nedd to identify where to buy the foam.
Is there any code os something to search?

Lots of thanks again

I have Googled Foam Core Madrid but came up with nothing. Do you have dollar stores there that might have cheap arts and crafts type items?

Cal, a question that sure has been already answered : is there a reason to use foam apart from weight?

I mean, I could do the spiral with plywood, is there reason why not?
More difficult?
More weight?
Some impact on sound?

Many thanks

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thousand Thanks, XRK971, your words help me a lot.
34 inch is a little big for the wall they are intended to stay, but think will do something between 30 and 34 inch.

And thanks for the plywood suggestion.

Now I nedd to identify where to buy the foam.
Is there any code os something to search?

Lots of thanks again

Let me know what your max size is? 30 inches?

You might try flexible or "bendy" plywood. Here is an example and it looks like they may have distributors in Europe.

KoskiFlex - Thin and flexible birch plywood | Koskisen Oy

Koskisen Spain and Portugal

Calle Eras, 20, Planta Baja, Local 2
28411, Moralzarzal (Madrid)
Spain
firstname.lastname@koskisen.com

There is a foam board distributor in Germany: Crescent Europe - Best of Passepartouts

This would be fantastic, and they are near Madrid, only 20Km far.
I'll call them tomorrow, hope will not be obliged to buy a 100m roll. :)

Many thanks

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, 30 inches would be max size, as the wall has 90 inch length

As for the foam, what about using CORK?
Has anyone tried it?

And I've found foam here in Madrid, there are places were to buy depron

Thanks

Just make it 30 in x 30 in x 4 in deep - should work fine - 52 Hz reach (-3dB point). Cork is too soft and flimsy to make a rigid channel wall.

Squiffy,
Thanks for posting the video! iPhone video probably doesn't do it justice. Looks very nice and glad you are enjoying it.

The iPhone just doesn't do them justice.

X I am currently sitting with the dog chillaxing to the sound of Griegs Peer Gynt Suites and Piano Concerto and the sounds filling the room is just blowing me away! The bass is rumbling my feet yet every tiny little note including the tings on the triangle is perfectly clear. I can almost hear the swish of the conductors baton it's so defined. These puppies are definitely made for classical music without doubt.