Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

:p

i_dont_own_a_tv.png

IG

Funny, and definitely at least partly true.

For myself, I've never felt exactly smug about it. Since I left home in 1979, I've never owned a TV, sometimes by choice, sometimes by income. While I sometimes watch (and even LIKE!) TV, I do feel STRONGLY that TV has the POTENTIAL to be bad news for kids...

Of course, if I could build a DIY FC TV with my kids, I'd be all over it...:D

Funny, and definitely at least partly true.

For myself, I've never felt exactly smug about it. Since I left home in 1979, I've never owned a TV, sometimes by choice, sometimes by income. While I sometimes watch (and even LIKE!) TV, I do feel STRONGLY that TV has the POTENTIAL to be bad news for kids...

Of course, if I could build a DIY FC TV with my kids, I'd be all over it...:D

OT but TV's destructive force is greatly mitigated if you don't watch broadcast, with commercials etc. We've always had TVs but limit the screen time and don't watch cable/broadcast etc. Just movies on hard media/netflix streaming.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Teardrop Build Begins

So it begins... all these teardrop/eggshape enclosures have got me interested in making a neat sealed enclosure that minimizes back wave reflections. I made some gore panels hoping for a 7 sided unit but as I am gluing it, it looks like no more than 6 will end up fitting. :( (7 to prevent parallel wall resonance). Here is what I have so far. I must say this goes very quickly and is quite easy with foam core. Amazing what one can accomplish between morning coffee and leaving for the day. :)

387371d1386931594-foam-core-board-speaker-enclosures-teardrop-1.png

Attachments

• Teardrop-1.png
    Teardrop-1.png
    494.7 KB · Views: 1,592
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Teardrop Build Completed

The Tear Drop foam core speaker is now completed. The build was a lot of fun and demonstrates the ability of FC to form smooth complex curves with an inflection (concave on both sides at different points). I was able to fit my hand and glue gun inside the cavity once the cap was cut off in order to glue the 3 internal braces which form a 6-pointed star spider. Even without the brace, the structure was very rigid. I filled it with denser stuffing in the tail and progressively going to very light stuffing in the main cavity and the front 1/3 without any stuffing. Added some 24 ga Cat5 wiring with crimp terminals, and away we go...

How does it sound? Very nice, similar to the Nautaloss and very transparent, in that the speaker disappears as there are no hard edges for diffraction.

A very cool speaker for the FC builder with some more advanced curve-forming skills. About 4 hrs total build time.

This speaker can benefit from a driver with a round bezel. :)

Measurements next...

387592d1387034655-foam-core-board-speaker-enclosures-teardrop-5-final.png

Attachments

• Teardrop-3-zeppelin.png
    Teardrop-3-zeppelin.png
    402.7 KB · Views: 1,549
  • Teardrop-2-brace.png
    Teardrop-2-brace.png
    432.7 KB · Views: 1,594
  • Teardrop-4-cap.png
    Teardrop-4-cap.png
    440 KB · Views: 1,466
  • Teardrop-5-final.png
    Teardrop-5-final.png
    416.1 KB · Views: 3,742
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Measurements of Tear Drop and Nautaloss

After realizing that I was measuring room effects which caused a drop-off at 300 Hz, I was more careful with arranging the setup this time. I skewed the speaker axis 45 deg to room walls, added a sheet of 2 in thick open cell foam on the floor beneath speaker and mic. Put a pillow underneath the mic tripod, and draped a loose blanket over the tripod legs. Note that my measurement only goes up to about 5-6 kHz as the laptop soundcard has a low pass filter.

The measurements were made at a height of approximately 35 to 39 in high off the floor and 4 in away from speaker cone.

The "room treatments" were amazing in that the 300 Hz drop off immediately disappeared and the bass extension goes to the approx 150 Hz that was predicted by the model for the Nautaloss. Here are the measurements of the Nautaloss with the room treatments (green) compared with the old (red) and compared with the Tear Drop (blue).

387593d1387035620-foam-core-board-speaker-enclosures-teardrop-cochlear-compare-meas-4in-39inhigh.png

Both speakers performed quite well with the Nautaloss getting the edge in flatness of frequency response in the higher registers.

Here is the Nautaloss measurement with THD and Phase also shown:

387594d1387035620-foam-core-board-speaker-enclosures-cochlear-meas-4in-39inhigh.png

Here is the Tear Drop measurement with THD and Phase:

387595d1387035620-foam-core-board-speaker-enclosures-teardrop-meas-4in-39inhigh.png

The THD figure of -50 dB from 200 Hz on up is quite amazing. The Nautaloss also gets the nod for the impulse response as the Tear Drop, although very good, has a slightly higher secondary negative peak.

I think that either of these would be excellent choices for near-field critical listening as monitors above 200 Hz.

Attachments

• Teardrop-Cochlear-Compare-Meas-4in-39inhigh.png
    Teardrop-Cochlear-Compare-Meas-4in-39inhigh.png
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,800
  • Cochlear-Meas-4in-39inhigh.png
    Cochlear-Meas-4in-39inhigh.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 2,347
  • Teardrop-Meas-4in-39inhigh.png
    Teardrop-Meas-4in-39inhigh.png
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,808
Last edited: