Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

i just bought a set of stupidly cheap computer speakers, $19 for a 3" (sub) and two 2" satellite speakers, amped. it sounds kinda ok, clear and with a bit of bass. im thinking about the cornu, but a bit different.

i like things to be symmetrical so, because i want just one spiral, thats not symmetrical. so keep eyes out next month for my (still planning) next diy foamcore project.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
i just bought a set of stupidly cheap computer speakers, $19 for a 3" (sub) and two 2" satellite speakers, amped. it sounds kinda ok, clear and with a bit of bass. im thinking about the cornu, but a bit different.

i like things to be symmetrical so, because i want just one spiral, thats not symmetrical. so keep eyes out next month for my (still planning) next diy foamcore project.

Cheap pc speakers is what I used for my 14 inch cornu (2 in drivers). You could put a two layer spiral which is kind of like one spiral, just thicker... :D
Do you have a photo?

dont mind the finger prints. i have already had it open to suss out whats inside.. lol

put a bit of wadding in the "sub" too. softened the midbass a smidgen.

20121222_213208.jpg

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You guys are after my own heart.:hbeat: Glad to know there are still a bunch of jazz dudes out there.

Cal, I sent Paul K. a link. Would love to have him try a pair. He leans toward TLs but I bet he would be impressed.

Bob,
If you have Brubeck's 'Ode to a Cowboy', it sounds really nice in the cornu. I am thinking about building either a 24 incher like yours or a full size 28 incher like Cal's next. I like the size of the 24 incher, is there enough room in the driver cavity for a 4.0 inch cutout? I am thinking the w4 bamboo cone driver might be nice. The 24 incher lets me get smaller sheets of plywood, and is a more manageable size. 28 inches starts to move lower on the WAF scale. :eek: :no: :p

Bob,
If you have Brubeck's 'Ode to a Cowboy', it sounds really nice in the cornu. I am thinking about building either a 24 incher like yours or a full size 28 incher like Cal's next. I like the size of the 24 incher, is there enough room in the driver cavity for a 4.0 inch cutout? I am thinking the w4 bamboo cone driver might be nice. The 24 incher lets me get smaller sheets of plywood, and is a more manageable size. 28 inches starts to move lower on the WAF scale. :eek: :no: :p

I'll look for that piece in the collection.

I'm finding program selection is critical in the big orchestral pieces. These seem to be sensitive to what the A&R guy did with the mids in the recording. Found a couple that sound good but trios and string quartets sound fantastic on these.

Your plan for a 4" driver in a 24" cornu is probably dependent on the size of the magnet. Maybe pulling back that first throat divider might not cause a major problem with the internal dynamics.

Attachments

• 20121222_135351.jpg
    20121222_135351.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 599
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks for the photo Bob. It does look like if I just reduce the length of that initial throat section it will buy me a little bit of space. The magnet is smaller than the cutout, but not by much. Again, this would be going off-design, but then 24 inches is already off the original design.

You know what looks like they might make good facers for these things? Kitchen cabinet doors. All kinds of nice wood with frames. If someone is remodeling and getting rid of old doors.... :)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It's probably pretty difficult to beat the price/performance ratio of the Vifa. If I ever build a full size cornu I have my eye on this PE driver. Their "Reference" stuff is pretty impressive.

You might be on to something with the RS100 driver because it has a very hot HF top end that would match well with the bass that the cornu makes. Kind of similar to the Vifa actually in the top end. I like it too. I was thinking of the TB bamboo but this has a hotter top end. I wish it was more efficient though. It looks great.