Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

I actually preferred and used a thin saber-saw blade (scrolling size) and a compass on such a small hole. Just drill a hole the size of the blade then cut inside or directly on the line (slowly) and adjust fit with sandpaper or round file.

Attachments

• h1 (1).jpg
    h1 (1).jpg
    71 KB · Views: 574
  • h1 (2).jpg
    h1 (2).jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 561
I scored a few sheets of black foam core and am looking to try some open baffle line arrays, using oval TV speakers scored from Parts Express and Electronic Goldmine. I'm looking to use 16/side, stacked with long side horizontal. It'll be an afternoon with me and my box cutter...

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Update-

OK, so I finished my first all foam core pair of 20" with Vifa drivers. Did some more experimenting with the stuffing. Over stuffed, under stuffed, learned the lesson in cheap fast foam. I was so moved by the result that I resuscitated my Tube Lab Simple, needed more power than the SE could deliver. I am listening to them now. Wow!

I had one day off before Christmas and spent a good part of it cutting baffles and routing. I don't really have a shop that I can make sawdust in, have to pull everything out to the driveway with sawhorses. Fortunately the weather was cooperative. I cut a pair of baffles in luan ply, 1/2' birch veneer ply and masonite. I promptly ruined the luan baffles with the router, I'm terrible around power tools... Impatient I guess. Successfully got the birch and masonite routed.

Finished the birch pair on Christmas morning and gave them to a friend in need (blown driver in his 2-ways). Hooked them up to an Elekit TU-879S amp I had built several years ago. Listened to lots of classic jazz, Miles Davis, Coltrane, Brubeck, Grant Green, etc. Just for fun I brought along my cheapo PE 12" sub and listened to the new Zeppelin Celebration Day and old Pixies. Yow! Yeah they can play rock music too.

Next week I plan to rob the drivers from the foam core pair and finish the masonite pair as a final (20"!) for myself. After that I'm not sure... might look at those 4 or 5" drivers.

I'll upload a photo soon.

happy holidays

Surface Tension,
Sounds like you were busy! I hope your friend realizes what a truly special gift this was. Thanks for the update and we are looking forward to your photos. I am thinking of moving up to wood next - the maple quarter inch 2x4 ft sheets and doing 24 inchers with a smaller 4 in driver. Does it sound different in birch vs foam?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I actually preferred and used a thin saber-saw blade (scrolling size) and a compass on such a small hole. Just drill a hole the size of the blade then cut inside or directly on the line (slowly) and adjust fit with sandpaper or round file.

Jigsaw is how I plan to do it with plywood - got the blades the other day. There is much less of a chance for tool to take a wild path. But then moving up from using nothing more than a razor blade to make my enclosures up to this point is a big deal. :)

Last edited:
Surface Tension,
Sounds like you were busy! I hope your friend realizes what a truly special gift this was. Thanks for the update and we are looking forward to your photos. I am thinking of moving up to wood next - the maple quarter inch 2x4 ft sheets and doing 24 inchers with a smaller 4 in driver. Does it sound different in birch vs foam?

I'm not very good at audio descriptives but regarding the birch vs foam question-

Hard to say as I did not get to compare them side by side and the drivers on the birch pair were brand new and not broken in, listening space is quite different as well. Listening to the foam pair now at a moderate level in a small room they present tremendous detail, very lively, more bass than I can believe. When pushed to louder volume it seems to break up. The birch pair seemed better balanced and controlled, especially at louder volumes in a bigger room.

And just to clarify a bit, the only wood I used was on the baffle, the spiral and back are all foam core. I really like the speed and ease of working with foam and did I say how primitive my woodworking skills are? I might try a pair with a ply back sometime although it seems unnecessary with a small driver. That 1/4" veneer ply from HD does look tempting, unfortunately was not in stock at my local store. May have to order some.

How about a short list of suitable drivers in the 4-5" range?

regards

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I'm not very good at audio descriptives but regarding the birch vs foam question-

Hard to say as I did not get to compare them side by side and the drivers on the birch pair were brand new and not broken in, listening space is quite different as well. Listening to the foam pair now at a moderate level in a small room they present tremendous detail, very lively, more bass than I can believe. When pushed to louder volume it seems to break up. The birch pair seemed better balanced and controlled, especially at louder volumes in a bigger room.

And just to clarify a bit, the only wood I used was on the baffle, the spiral and back are all foam core. I really like the speed and ease of working with foam and did I say how primitive my woodworking skills are? I might try a pair with a ply back sometime although it seems unnecessary with a small driver. That 1/4" veneer ply from HD does look tempting, unfortunately was not in stock at my local store. May have to order some.

How about a short list of suitable drivers in the 4-5" range?

regards

Ah, a hybrid foam back, plywood face Cornu! How cool is that? That's interesting that you think The bass is more controlled and it can go louder with the wood baffle. I don't know what everyone else is trying but here is my list of drivers I would like to try in the Cornu.

TB W4-1337SDF titanium cone $47
TB W4-1329SIF bamboo paper cone $37
TB W3-315e magnesium/aluminum cone $26
TB W3-881si buyout $10
MA CHR70 $36
MA Alpair 7
Dayton RS100 (really closer to a 3.5 incher than 4 inch) $29

And of course, the list of drivers currently used with success:
Vifa TC9FD $12 :) :) :)
Fostex FF125wk $56
Visaton FRS5 $8 :) :)

There are others but I can't remember them all. Pano tried several different 3 and 3.5 inchers. Please add to this list of drivers you have used and give your subjective rating.

The thing I would look for is a driver with a rising or peaky high frequency end to balance out the heavy mid bass that the cornu makes. A lower Qts driver works better with a back loaded horn, but we have also seen higher Qts drivers work too.

My next build will be a 24 inch (61 cm) in cherry veneer face with the RS100 or Vifa. I am also designing a custom single length horn profile optimized on Hornresp and then 'rolling' it up to make a cornu with four equal lengths to see if we can smooth out the lower and mid bass response. This was Don Hill's suggestion and I am following down this path as I don't want to cut any more foam or wood until I have a better sense of the response from a model first.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Cal,
We have had several variations on the 20 incher. Mine had custom channels and throats so I was able to make it very thin at 2 and 3/8ths of an inch. If you use 'official' Planet10 drawing and scale that to 20 inches I think the channel depth will have to be 4.4 in deep to match Sd of Vifa. That being said, Pano had built it with 2.5 in width and Bcmbob has built a 24 inch one with 3.5 in depth. It is probably ok to have some compression in the driver chamber in the interest of keeping the profile slim, if that is what he is after. I think anywhere from 3.5 in to 4.5 in is a good depth that will work. The deeper the depth, the more the bass enhancement will be. I am surprised how good mine sound for being only 2.38 in thick (but my throats are 1.1 in wide vs 0.64 in if I were to use the scaled pdf plan). Tell your brother in law good luck. Maybe he should get online and hang out with us if he is starting this? :)
Good to have you back. I have been busy coming up with an ideal horn and 'rolling my own' Cornu. Let me know what you think of the two ideas so far: 24 in equal length horns, 31 in MLTL design with more even bass response. They are on the other thread.