Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures? - Page 59 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2012, 04:40 PM   #581
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

No baffle step correction needed as the speaker is 'flat' and against wall so infinite baffle. Direct drive from amp is always cool. No waste, nothing added. Don't have condensation problem with my window, but may spray with artists varnish at some point.

Last edited by xrk971; 11th December 2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11th December 2012, 05:16 PM   #582
diyAudio Member

Inifinte baffle, no need for baffle step correction... got it! Thank you xrk971.
Old 11th December 2012, 05:35 PM   #583
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I can't see my spirals.
Old 11th December 2012, 05:40 PM   #584
diyAudio Member

And just in case anyone doesn't have a copy shop that is nearby (like me -- I am in the no man's land of large sheet copy places). When I am alone and have spare time, I rasterbate...

That didn't come out right.

I am using an old and trusty program called the "Rasterbator". It is pretty good and very cool, input your jpeg image and select your output size. It spits out a single .pdf file that when you print on your printer, prints it as tight to the edge as your printer allows, it then collates the pages, and you just have to tile them like so and add tape.

You can get it here:

The Rasterbator 1.2 at arje.net

You can also read about it on Wikipedia and google it to make sure you are within the system requirements (and that you aren't downloading malware of some sorts).
Old 11th December 2012, 05:40 PM   #585
diyAudio Member

Cal,
Your wood facers look awesome though. Home Depot has sheets of acrylic (1/8 in thick I think) but size is 24 x 24 in. You may need to contact place that fabs custom acrylic display cases and they get you a sheet of quarter inch for next build. Clear on both sides for window mount. A see through window speaker... Heck, make the faces out of glass! Fragile but would work well I bet.
Old 11th December 2012, 06:03 PM   #586
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by overtheairbroadcast View Post
... with this being a single full range driver, why is there no snubber thing-a-majiggy on the back end where other single full range driver speakers often do?
None of those around here. Use of a Zobel is more an amp related thing, helping adjust the top end to the amp's output impedance.

dave
Old 11th December 2012, 06:16 PM   #587
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Use of a Zobel is more an amp related thing, helping adjust the top end to the amp's output impedance.

dave
Certainly true for fullrangers. Not so much in multiways, where impedance compensation is critical to making passive XOs work.
Old 11th December 2012, 08:09 PM   #588
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

The other horn coming along, it took about 1.5hr from a bare board to here -

Layout is quite fast once you have holes in the paper. I wish I figured that out on the first one. Yes, this spiral is mirrored from the first.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by 6L6; 11th December 2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11th December 2012, 08:21 PM   #589
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Nice to see the progress. To do the trace, I used one of those tiny Philips screw drivers and made about 100 pokes per divider. When the paper was removed it was easy to follow and do the trace but as xrk said, make sure you do one spiral at a time.
Old 11th December 2012, 09:25 PM   #590
diyAudio Member

6L6,
You have some really nice bends/curves - I can't tell where the scores are. Great progress. The second one goes so much faster because you know what you are doing. Is the black stuff the same as the Dollar Store white foam core? It looks really nice and thick facing paper.
Did you power up the first one with a driver yet?

Hide this!Advertise here!